Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obamacare’s Impact on Doctors—An Update

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

No class of American professionals will be more negatively impacted by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), commonly referred to as Obamacare, than physicians.
Third-party payment arrangements are already compromising the independence and integrity of the medical profession, and Obamacare reinforces the worst of these features.
Specifically, physicians will be subject to more government regulation and oversight, and will be increasingly dependent on unreliable government reimbursement for medical services. Doctors, already under tremendous pressure, will only see their jobs become more difficult.

The Flawed Medicare Payment Formula

Despite being a massive and sweeping piece of legislation—with an estimated 165 provisions affecting the Medicare program—Obamacare leaves Medicare’s flawed physician payment system in place, providing no solution for the perpetual problem facing Medicare physicians.
Members of the medical profession expected Congress and the Administration to remedy this problem through health care reform, but they failed to do so. So, doctors continue to face the threat of deep payment cuts under Medicare’s sustainable growth rate (SGR) formula, which governs the annual growth of Medicare physician payments. The drastic provider payment cuts called for by the SGR would reduce seniors’ access to care. Thus, Congress has passed a last-minute and temporary “doc fix” each year since 2003 to override the flawed payment system. For 2014, doctors face an estimated payment reduction of 25 percent unless Congress passes another doc fix

--------------------------------------

The lower Medicaid payments are already contributing to serious access problems for low-income persons and worsened hospital emergency room overcrowding. In 2011, one of three primary care physicians would not accept new Medicaid patients.[5]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

A key goal of health care reform should be the restoration of the traditional doctor–patient relationship. In such a relationship, physicians would be the key decision makers in the delivery of care, and patients would be the key decision makers in the financing of care. This cannot be achieved unless and until patients, not the government, control health care dollars and decisions, and third-party insurance executives are directly accountable to individuals and families, who really pay the health care bills.

Obamacare accomplishes none of these reform objectives, and, indeed, takes the country in the exact opposite direction. It encases the very worst features of today’s third-party payment system—lack of direct accountability and consumer control—in statutory cement. That is why Congress must repeal Obamacare and start over.

2seaoat

I know many doctors. I socialize with many. They do complain about paperwork, but to the last one of them, I have heard them complain about late payments on medicaid, but I have NEVER heard them complain about medicare. I have never heard a patient complain about medicare. This article suggests Medicare is the problem. Medicare has been a great success. Eventually it will be a great success for all.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

"Coverage does not equal access,"

KarlRove

KarlRove

2seaoat wrote:I know many doctors. I socialize with many. They do complain about paperwork, but to the last one of them, I have heard them complain about late payments on medicaid, but I have NEVER heard them complain about medicare. I have never heard a patient complain about medicare. This article suggests Medicare is the problem. Medicare has been a great success. Eventually it will be a great success for all.

Is that why so many are moving their practices under the program called MDVIP? Hmmmm. You have to pay a quarterly premium to retain your doc and it adds up to over 1600 per year. That's before you even pay your own health insurance premium, co pays, and deductibles.

knothead

knothead

KarlRove wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I know many doctors.  I socialize with many.  They do complain about paperwork, but to the last one of them, I have heard them complain about late payments on medicaid, but I have NEVER heard them complain about medicare.  I have never heard a patient complain about medicare.  This article suggests Medicare is the problem.   Medicare has been a great success.  Eventually it will be a great success for all.

Is that why so many are moving their practices under the program called MDVIP? Hmmmm. You have to pay a quarterly premium to retain your doc and it adds up to over 1600 per year. That's before you even pay your own health insurance premium, co pays, and deductibles.

So far these are principally outliers as the vast majority have elected to continue their standard practice . . . . . Pensacola has how many??? Two I think . . .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum