Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shopping on Thanksgiving Day

+2
Hospital Bob
othershoe1030
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 12:23 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Nothing says I love you like cheap crap made in China by slave labor, sold by a company owned by billionaires benefitting from corporate welfare, paying slave wages to employees kept from enjoying Thanksgiving with their families.

Picture the above quote written on cardboard held by someone trying to spread the word about not shopping on Thanksgiving Day.

Sorry I couldn't get the picture to post but hopefully you will get the idea.

2Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 12:42 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I remember when K-Mart was in their spiral of final decline how they decided to be the first ones to open on Thanksgiving during the day.  
As you'll notice,  there are no more K-Marts in P'cola.

I just learned yesterday that Radio Shack will be opening at 8 AM on Thanksgiving Day.

As Gomer would say,  "surprise surprise"...

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=RSH+Interactive#{%22range%22%3A%225y%22%2C%22scale%22%3A%22linear%22}

lol

3Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 12:58 am

I don't go

4Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 9:23 am

No one has to go. Stay home if you are offended.

As for workers who have no time with family on holidays because of work - it's been happening for years with first responders, military, health care workers, etc.

Also a consideration - many of the retail workers want those hours. They get holiday pay.

5Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 9:31 am

Sal

Sal

What's that you say?

All those pampered retail workers get an extra serving of gruel for their troubles?

Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Please-sir-i-want-some-more-o-gif

God Bless America!!

Hellz to the no ...

... I will not go.

6Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 9:41 am

SheWrites wrote:No one has to go.  Stay home if you are offended.

As for workers who have no time with family on holidays because of work - it's been happening for years with first responders, military, health care workers, etc.

Also a consideration - many of the retail workers want those hours.  They get holiday pay.  

Who said I was offended? I could care less, but I'm not going to fight the crowds.

7Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 10:19 am

2seaoat

It is awful getting older and not wanting anything. My wife and I do not even buy shoes when we probably should. I am happy with what I have, and my wife is worse than me. Getting stuff for the Grandkids does not require shopping with peak crowds.

8Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 10:32 am

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Also a consideration - many of the retail workers want those hours.  They get holiday pay.  

Who said I was offended? I could care less, but I'm not going to fight the crowds.

I was speaking to the world at large. Improper use of "you" to express my opinion. Very Happy

9Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 10:37 am

2seaoat wrote:It is awful getting older and not wanting anything.  My wife and I do not even buy shoes when we probably should.  I am happy with what I have, and my wife is worse than me.  Getting stuff for the Grandkids does not require shopping with peak crowds.

I'm not that impressed with "bargain shopping" because it's still overpriced. I have made some good purchases on Black Monday - internet sales. I know folks who are sales poor buying things they didn't need because it was "such a good buy!"

Also not a trend shopper. Call me a bad mom but I never gave into the beanie baby craze. Laughing My kids turned out OK.

10Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 11:17 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:It is awful getting older and not wanting anything.  My wife and I do not even buy shoes when we probably should.  I am happy with what I have

I'm old but I still crave material possessions.  However,  I don't have any desire to pay those high black friday prices or any other retail "discounts" for that matter.
Instead,  I'm plenty happy to wait a while.  About how long it takes for all that junk they buy at those "deep discounts" on black friday to turn up in their yard sales for 10 cents on the dollar.  lol
Two Saturdays ago,  I was the first person at a yard sale before 6 AM.  The lady had a 26" LED TV made in early 2013 for sale priced at $10.  I didn't even try to negotiate the price.  It would have been too embarrasing to do so.  lol
After I bought it,  I asked her "why are you already selling this (just out of curiousity)".  Her answer was "it was in my daughter's room and now she wants a bigger screen".
If I had been rude (which I wasn't),  I would have responded "okay,  lady,  I understand,  but why did you feel the need to almost give the damn thing away when you could have gotten $75 for it?  Hell,  especially when you paid $250 for it only last year.  The sales tax you paid on it was more than $10".  lol

Last edited by Bob on 11/13/2014, 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total

11Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 11:29 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Somebody needs to go down to that line forming at Best Buy and show those folks this news report.  lol

http://www.today.com/id/49063771/#56416159

12Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 11:58 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I'm with you.....I did my share of holidays. The holidays I would not work..... Christmas Eve evening and Christmas morning. Too many single nurses were glad to swap Christmas for New Years eve and New Years day off. Lucky for me.

I do not shop Black Friday.......but the girls do. After Thanksgiving dinner the great room floor is covered with ads and the girls (5 of them) begin planning their shopping strategy of making lists and ending with a fabulous game plan to cover as much ground possible.....they love the adventure. I will of course, release my debit card with a small list. The high thread count sheet sales are great (800 thread count under $50.00) and they can pick out their choice of colors.

13Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 1:32 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Joanimaroni wrote:

I'm with you.....I did my share of holidays. The holidays I would not work..... Christmas Eve evening and Christmas morning.  Too many single nurses were glad to swap Christmas for New Years eve and New Years day off. Lucky for me.

I do not shop Black Friday.......but the girls do.  After Thanksgiving dinner the great room floor is covered with ads and the girls (5 of them) begin planning their shopping strategy of making lists and ending with a fabulous game plan to cover as much ground possible.....they love the adventure.  I will of course, release my debit card with a small list. The high thread count sheet sales are great  (800 thread count under $50.00) and they can pick out their choice of colors.

I don't like the sound of that..... We only do it with extreme caution. What I have to watch from mid November are the charges on a credit card we use for Christmas shopping. I'll wait until December 31st and then pay it to zero to avoid interest charges.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

14Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 2:04 pm

Call me a curmudgeon, but I hate it that (commercialized) Christmas starts earlier each year.  This year I saw my first holiday lights on a house on Veterans Day! I'd like to go pull their plug.

I do a lot of gift shopping, but won't start until after Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving Day I'll be eating, and watching football with family - period.

15Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 2:14 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

colaguy wrote:Call me a curmudgeon, but I hate it that (commercialized) Christmas starts earlier each year.  This year I saw my first holiday lights on a house on Veterans Day! I'd like to go pull their plug.

I do a lot of gift shopping, but won't start until after Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving Day I'll be eating, and watching football with family - period.

I came up with a great idea.......I'm going to put my tree up before Thanksgiving and take advantage of 8 grandkids and all the adults here to eat. Each one will have to put some ornaments on the tree.

16Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 2:58 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

I'm with you.....I did my share of holidays. The holidays I would not work..... Christmas Eve evening and Christmas morning.  Too many single nurses were glad to swap Christmas for New Years eve and New Years day off. Lucky for me.

I do not shop Black Friday.......but the girls do.  After Thanksgiving dinner the great room floor is covered with ads and the girls (5 of them) begin planning their shopping strategy of making lists and ending with a fabulous game plan to cover as much ground possible.....they love the adventure.  I will of course, release my debit card with a small list. The high thread count sheet sales are great  (800 thread count under $50.00) and they can pick out their choice of colors.

I don't like the sound of that..... We only do it with extreme caution. What I have to watch from mid November are the charges on a credit card we use for Christmas shopping. I'll wait until December 31st and then pay it to zero to avoid interest charges.

I always give them the debit card...saves me from shopping.

17Shopping on Thanksgiving Day Empty Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving Day 11/13/2014, 4:45 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Remember,  you pay 1% less just by using a credit card instead of cash.
And if you say 1% is not worth bothering with then you'll get an argument from ole Ben Franklin.
Of course you won't get any argument from anybody else because him and me are the only ones left who believe a penny saved is a penny earned.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum