Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you like to block those annoying "unavailable" or "unknown" phone calls?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I can't remember when it started but recently we have been flooded with phone calls that our caller ID shows as 'unavailable' or unknown, etc.

Most of the time if the phone is answered there is no one there so you can't even tell them to take your number off their list. Other times there is a person with some foreign accent who will argue with you or pretend he can't hear you.

At any rate I did a search about blocking these calls from a land line and found this useful information which we have just taken advantage of. I wanted to post this for everyone.

Oh, the other day one of these idiots tried to get a credit card number by claiming we had been awarded a government grant! That's hard to do when you haven't applied for one! It is a scam of course.

Instructions
Subscribe to Anonymous Call Rejection. This service is free for many telephone users and may already exist on some home telephone lines. If the service is not already on your telephone line, or if the steps here do not work for you, contact your local telephone company (either by dialing "611" from your landline telephone or calling your local telephone company's business office number) to subscribe to this service.

Pick up your telephone receiver. Using any wired or wireless landline telephone, pick up the receiver and listen for a dial tone.

Sponsored Links
Free Reverse Phone Lookup
1) Enter Any Phone Number 100% Free 2) Get Full Owner Info - Try Now!
freephonetracer.com/lookup-app
Press "*77" to activate the Anonymous Call Rejection service from your touchtone landline telephone. If you use a rotary dial telephone, the rotary equivalent code to dial is "1177."

Listen for a confirmation. Depending on the equipment your telephone company uses, you may hear either a quick "buzz buzz" sound or a recording informing you that you have successfully activated the Anonymous Call Rejection service. You should not hear a busy signal, a fast busy signal, or a recording indicating that your call cannot be completed; if you hear any of these messages, you may not be subscribed to the Anonymous Call Rejection service.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_5127114_block-unavailable-numbers-landline-phones.html

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

A full one-third of our daily phone calls are illegal robocalls from vendors. It is maddening. Medic alert offerings, home security system offerings, and credit-card interest rate adjustment offerings.

We were letting them go through to the answering machine, but sometimes, the robocaller leaves a recorded message that goes on for at least a minute. I have taken to just doing a click to answer the call, then a second click to hang up the line.

The FCC needs to crack down on robocalls that are clearly intended to be sales-calls. The State of Florida also needs to crack-down as well.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I am sorry to report that since I followed the instructions we've gotten one unidentified call so I'm not sure how effective this will be. Has anyone else tried this? lol of course it is impossible to know how many calls we DIDN'T get!

Yes, the "answer and hang up" routine works well but can be inconvenient if your hands are in clay or dishwater or whatever. And who wants to have to answer the phone during a meal?

You would think that the FCC or the phone company or the legislature would try to combat this but it would probably interfere with someones freedom of speech? The final solution might be to do away with the landline. I hear there are apps to block certain numbers from a cell phone but I don't know if this would work for these calls or not.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Thanks for that information. I tried it and found I do have that service and *77 turned it on.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum