Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grass Roots Grow Against Greed - Bill Moyers & Jim Hightower

+2
2seaoat
Floridatexan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.commondreams.org/video/2014/07/02-0

Wall Street rules, dark money pervades politics and Congress is beholden to corporate America. As Bill puts it: “The robber barons have won.” But writer and commentator Jim Hightower sees hope as grassroots groups working on separate issues in their communities find themselves uniting around a common cause: economic, political and social justice. “There is a greater power that is building up in the countryside, simmering, bubbling in different places and that’s going to come together,” Hightower tells Moyers. He points to the fast-food workers strike two months ago that took place in over 150 US cities and 33 countries calling for better wages and working conditions. “That takes organization. It’s not high visibility yet, but neither was civil rights — until it popped up.”

(watch the video)

2seaoat

I was a greedy developer, and business owner. I had been a Republican since I was a kid. I believed that the free market always efficiently assigns capital and labor and maximizes productivity and wealth accumulation for a society. So when Ronald Reagan came along and was going to attack the new deal and government interference in that free market, I was gung ho. I was not happy with the PATCO strike and I thought unions had gotten greedy. I certainly loved the tax breaks I received as I had a young family and was accumulating capital quickly and did not want to pay taxes. America was unlimited.

I started to see the displacement of the importance of labor. I saw unfettered capitalism and unfair tax codes allowing greed to invest in unproductive investments like structures on barrier islands.....which of course I was all in......making money on real estate.....oblivious to the social costs that my hero had implemented in his tax cuts and expanding the deficit....and then one day the America I grew up with was gone.....the hard working blue collar guy who was a neighbor lost his job, entire factories were picked up and communities abandoned.....the local bank was closed and all of a sudden it was chase, bank of America, or other non local banks crushing the local banks, making no loans and hooking people on credit cards and lines of credit.......still making lots of money......starting to get concerned, and then I got Ill.......suddenly I had wisdom.......I realized how precious life is and how unworthy my goals had been. The kids were raised and had started their families, but with the life I had left, I would work every to correct the collective mistakes my generation had made. Wisdom comes with a price......and I have never been happier in my life understanding what I did wrong, and what I have since done right.........America is a great place.....and with the time I have left, I will support policies that care about her people......not the Silas miner floor boards where one stashes their gold.......free at last.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Please do not beat yourself up for going out and trying to make a decent living for your family. Did you screw anyone to make a deal? Did you treat your employees like crap? I doubt it.

no stress

no stress

2seaoat wrote:I was a greedy developer, and business owner.  I had been a Republican since I was a kid.  I believed that the free market always efficiently assigns capital and labor and maximizes productivity and wealth accumulation for a society.   So when Ronald Reagan came along and was going to attack the new deal and government interference in that free market, I was gung ho.   I was not happy with the PATCO strike and I thought unions had gotten greedy.  I certainly loved the tax breaks I received as I had a young family and was accumulating capital quickly and did not want to pay taxes.   America was unlimited.

I started to see the displacement of the importance of labor.  I saw unfettered capitalism and unfair tax codes allowing greed to invest in unproductive investments like structures on barrier islands.....which of course I was all in......making money on real estate.....oblivious to the social costs that my hero had implemented in his tax cuts and expanding the deficit....and then one day the America I grew up with was gone.....the hard working blue collar guy who was a neighbor lost his job, entire factories were picked up and communities abandoned.....the local bank was closed and all of a sudden it was chase, bank of America, or other non local banks crushing the local banks, making no loans and hooking people on credit cards and lines of credit.......still making lots of money......starting to get concerned, and then I got Ill.......suddenly I had wisdom.......I realized how precious life is and how unworthy my goals had been.  The kids were raised and had started their families, but with the life I had left, I would work every to correct the collective mistakes my generation had made.  Wisdom comes with a price......and I have never been happier in my life understanding what I did wrong, and what I have since done right.........America is a great place.....and with the time I have left, I will support policies that care about her people......not the Silas miner floor boards where one stashes their gold.......free at last.
 cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Floridatexan wrote:
Please do not beat yourself up for going out and trying to make a decent living for your family.  Did you screw anyone to make a deal?  Did you treat your employees like crap?  I doubt it.

Agree, good points FT.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I was a greedy developer, and business owner.  I had been a Republican since I was a kid.  I believed that the free market always efficiently assigns capital and labor and maximizes productivity and wealth accumulation for a society.   So when Ronald Reagan came along and was going to attack the new deal and government interference in that free market, I was gung ho.   I was not happy with the PATCO strike and I thought unions had gotten greedy.  I certainly loved the tax breaks I received as I had a young family and was accumulating capital quickly and did not want to pay taxes.   America was unlimited.

I started to see the displacement of the importance of labor.  I saw unfettered capitalism and unfair tax codes allowing greed to invest in unproductive investments like structures on barrier islands.....which of course I was all in......making money on real estate.....oblivious to the social costs that my hero had implemented in his tax cuts and expanding the deficit....and then one day the America I grew up with was gone.....the hard working blue collar guy who was a neighbor lost his job, entire factories were picked up and communities abandoned.....the local bank was closed and all of a sudden it was chase, bank of America, or other non local banks crushing the local banks, making no loans and hooking people on credit cards and lines of credit.......still making lots of money......starting to get concerned, and then I got Ill.......suddenly I had wisdom.......I realized how precious life is and how unworthy my goals had been.  The kids were raised and had started their families, but with the life I had left, I would work every to correct the collective mistakes my generation had made.  Wisdom comes with a price......and I have never been happier in my life understanding what I did wrong, and what I have since done right.........America is a great place.....and with the time I have left, I will support policies that care about her people......not the Silas miner floor boards where one stashes their gold.......free at last.

World's smallest violin.
Grass Roots Grow Against Greed - Bill Moyers & Jim Hightower Worlds-smallest-violin

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Grass Roots Grow Against Greed - Bill Moyers & Jim Hightower In-the-immortal-words-of-Red-You-dumbass-29589864689

knothead

knothead

no stress wrote:

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

Mr. Oats, you clearly missed your calling but I appreciate so much your ability to articulate your point-of-view . . . it is just so refreshing.
Thank you sir!

Grass Roots Grow Against Greed - Bill Moyers & Jim Hightower Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFjr3u70CpaXJH8d0whL4VAEXUyrrkfekHPMXcr96sL-97-tWc

And now you look back and think others should have to pay as penance for your materialistic greed and all the people you screwed instead of utilizing your own money to do so...

That's very generous of you.

*****SARCASTIC CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ

Smile 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum