Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Get ready for it, here it comes!! Study links Greenland ice sheet collapse, sea level rise 400,000 years ago

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

new study suggests that a warming period more than 400,000 years ago pushed the Greenland ice sheet past its stability threshold, resulting in a nearly complete deglaciation of southern Greenland and raising global sea levels some 4-6 meters.

The study is one of the first to zero in on how the vast Greenland ice sheet responded to warmer temperatures during that period, which were caused by changes in the Earth's orbit around the sun.

Results of the study, which was funded by the National Science Foundation, are being published this week in the journal Nature

The climate 400,000 years ago was not that much different than what we see today, or at least what is predicted for the end of the century," said Anders Carlson, an associate professor at Oregon State University and co-author on the study. "The forcing was different, but what is important is that the region crossed the threshold allowing the southern portion of the ice sheet to all but disappear.

"This may give us a better sense of what may happen in the future as temperatures continue rising," Carlson added.

Few reliable models and little proxy data exist to document the extent of the Greenland ice sheet loss during a period known as the Marine Isotope Stage 11. This was an exceptionally long warm period between ice ages that resulted in a global sea level rise of about 6-13 meters above present. However, scientists have been unsure of how much sea level rise could be attributed to Greenland, and how much may have resulted from the melting of Antarctic ice sheets or other causes.

To find the answer, the researchers examined sediment cores collected off the coast of Greenland from what is called the Eirik Drift. During several years of research, they sampled the chemistry of the glacial stream sediment on the island and discovered that different parts of Greenland have unique chemical features. During the presence of ice sheets, the sediments are scraped off and carried into the water where they are deposited in the Eirik Drift.

"Each terrain has a distinct fingerprint," Carlson noted. "They also have different tectonic histories and so changes between the terrains allow us to predict how old the sediments are, as well as where they came from. The sediments are only deposited when there is significant ice to erode the terrain. The absence of terrestrial deposits in the sediment suggests the absence of ice.

In their Nature article, the researchers contrasted the events of Marine Isotope Stage 11 with another warming period that occurred about 125,000 years ago and resulted in a sea level rise of 5-10 meters. Their analysis of the sediment record suggests that not as much of the Greenland ice sheet was lost – in fact, only enough to contribute to a sea level rise of less than 2.5 meters.

"However, other studies have shown that Antarctica may have been unstable at the time and melting there may have made up the difference," Carlson pointed out.

The researchers say the discovery of an ice sheet tracer that can be documented through sediment core analysis is a major step to understanding the history of ice sheets in Greenland – and their impact on global climate and sea level changes. They acknowledge the need for more widespread coring data and temperature reconstructions.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-06-links-greenland-ice-sheet-collapse.html#jCp

care to talk about space and the sun anyone?  Smile

sun orbits, Jupiter, cycles, Saturn, gravitational pull, ice ages... ice cores, data problems, all that stuff. Interesting stuff.  Very Happy 

Don't prove me right and ignore the science by being closed minded lol

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

cheers 

That was interesting... thanks. There are so many variables/cycles that create our climate... it really is fun to study.

We learn new things constantly... science isn't always some fixed tool... particularly not a politically biased tool.

See the churches persecuting science in antiquity.

I wonder what the average temp of the earth really is after the crust formed... off hand I'd guess warmer.

Get ready for it, here it comes!! Study links Greenland ice sheet collapse, sea level rise 400,000 years ago Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfS4KxvrfUMpJ9yZWVdLG2IGBPSQKDSnDBROSWs6MBezcJOORHWg

Thank you Chrissy.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNRmavbTTQk

Smile 

I guess boards is ignoring this because he doesn't understand the subject material?

Hmmmm

Sal

Sal

Holy fucking shit!!!

This changes everything!!

This proves that ...

... well ...

... ahem ...

... [cough, cough] ...

... hmmmmm ...

... why don't you just tell us what you think this proves, professor?

lol

Like I thought

A total lack of understanding the topic

boards of FL

boards of FL

So, Ti, what do you conclude from an article like this? What do you think is being said there?

boards of FL wrote:So, Ti, what do you conclude from an article like this? What do you think is being said there?

I made it easy by highlighting and underlining some critical points

Such as the climate has always warmed and cooled

Such as the need for better temperture and core samples

The facts are you and others who do nothing but parrot the governents agenda do not understand this topic

Or you would have gotten it right away

So let's understand when you climate crazies are screaming the ice caps are melting because you drive cars etc I laugh

The climate changes. You are a ant in the scheme of it all and all the race in the world of redistribution won't change it

I don't deny climate change I deny man made climate change

Some men think they are so important lol mother nature laughs

boards of FL

boards of FL

Ti wrote:
boards of FL wrote:So, Ti, what do you conclude from an article like this?  What do you think is being said there?

The facts are you and others who do nothing but parrot the governents agenda do not understand this topic

So let's understand when you climate crazies are screaming the ice caps are melting because you drive cars etc I laugh

The climate changes. You are a ant in the scheme of it all and all the race in the world of redistribution won't change it

Yes, yes. The planet has always warmed and cooled. I don't think anyone out there is suggesting that the earth was ever at some static, unchanging temperature. And, yes, there is always a need for more data and better models. Sure. Is that it?

That's enough. Water vapor in the atmosphere is a much larger driver of temp than co2... depending on the sun of course.

Sal

Sal

Ti wrote:
boards of FL wrote:So, Ti, what do you conclude from an article like this?  What do you think is being said there?

Do you suppose the scientists conducting this research are man made global warming denialists, professor.

Because I can assure they are not.

There is a specific reason they are conducting this research.

These researchers are part of the consensus.

There's nO help for stupid people

I guess that's why stupid people always turn to gov for solutions and to tell them how to think

boards of FL

boards of FL

So that's it then?  You posted this to let us all know that 1) the earth's temperature isn't static and 2) there is always a need for new data and better models?

Well OK then.  Thank you, Captain Obvious.

boards of FL wrote:So that's it then?  You posted this to let us all know that 1) the earth's temperature isn't static and 2) there is always a need for new data and better models?

Well OK then.  Thank you, Captain Obvious.

If you understood the topic and science of it you would have gotten it, but you don't.

You refuse to think about it because your mind is closed due to your agenda programing

Ti wrote:new study suggests that a warming period more than 400,000 years ago pushed the Greenland ice sheet past its stability threshold, resulting in a nearly complete deglaciation of southern Greenland and raising global sea levels some 4-6 meters.

The study is one of the first to zero in on how the vast Greenland ice sheet responded to warmer temperatures during that period, which were caused by changes in the Earth's orbit around the sun.

Results of the study, which was funded by the National Science Foundation, are being published this week in the journal Nature

The climate 400,000 years ago was not that much different than what we see today, or at least what is predicted for the end of the century," said Anders Carlson, an associate professor at Oregon State University and co-author on the study. "The forcing was different, but what is important is that the region crossed the threshold allowing the southern portion of the ice sheet to all but disappear.

"This may give us a better sense of what may happen in the future as temperatures continue rising," Carlson added.

Few reliable models and little proxy data exist to document the extent of the Greenland ice sheet loss during a period known as the Marine Isotope Stage 11. This was an exceptionally long warm period between ice ages that resulted in a global sea level rise of about 6-13 meters above present. However, scientists have been unsure of how much sea level rise could be attributed to Greenland, and how much may have resulted from the melting of Antarctic ice sheets or other causes.

To find the answer, the researchers examined sediment cores collected off the coast of Greenland from what is called the Eirik Drift. During several years of research, they sampled the chemistry of the glacial stream sediment on the island and discovered that different parts of Greenland have unique chemical features. During the presence of ice sheets, the sediments are scraped off and carried into the water where they are deposited in the Eirik Drift.

"Each terrain has a distinct fingerprint," Carlson noted. "They also have different tectonic histories and so changes between the terrains allow us to predict how old the sediments are, as well as where they came from. The sediments are only deposited when there is significant ice to erode the terrain. The absence of terrestrial deposits in the sediment suggests the absence of ice.

In their Nature article, the researchers contrasted the events of Marine Isotope Stage 11 with another warming period that occurred about 125,000 years ago and resulted in a sea level rise of 5-10 meters. Their analysis of the sediment record suggests that not as much of the Greenland ice sheet was lost – in fact, only enough to contribute to a sea level rise of less than 2.5 meters.

"However, other studies have shown that Antarctica may have been unstable at the time and melting there may have made up the difference," Carlson pointed out.

The researchers say the discovery of an ice sheet tracer that can be documented through sediment core analysis is a major step to understanding the history of ice sheets in Greenland – and their impact on global climate and sea level changes. They acknowledge the need for more widespread coring data and temperature reconstructions.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-06-links-greenland-ice-sheet-collapse.html#jCp

care to talk about space and the sun anyone?  Smile

sun orbits, Jupiter, cycles, Saturn, gravitational pull, ice ages... ice cores, data problems, all that stuff. Interesting stuff.  Very Happy 

pay attention.

The next time you hear ice caps melting because of SUV's

Pay attention the next time you hear ocean sea level rise because of SUV's

oh who am I kidding even if you paid attention, this isn't your forte, grammar is lol

But soon youll be paying attention to those high electric bills that you are so happy to pay, and those higher everything you eat, drink, purchase. Just think while you may be broke and the man above is flush with cash and much of it is flushing other countries, you will be warm and fuzzy knowing you helped save the planet from you. LOL

boards of FL

boards of FL

Ti wrote:If you understood the topic and science of it you would have gotten it, but you don't.

You refuse to think about it because your mind is closed due to your agenda programing

Let's try this again. What do you conclude from this article, Ti? Can you explain what it is that you think it says? I read it. I know what it says. I get it. I'm curious as to what you think it says, though. Do you feel there is something in this article that suggests AGW isn't real? If so, what?

I swear this isn't a trick question. All I'm asking you to do here is to state, in your own words, how you interpret this article. Can you do that?

Here comes the second pitch. Will it be another whiff?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bump.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

"Four to six meters ..."

What Chrissy is saying is that the threat of global warming can't be inhibited or delayed by man.

Chrissy knows this because BP and Exxon say it's so.

According to her inane logic, we should continue to support fossil fuel companies because it's good for us to do so.

And if Jesus was here he'd tell us to hop right down to the nearest Shell station and fill up.

Uh huh . . . yeaaaaah.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum