Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A premature celebration then Iraq slaps Obama in the face

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gatorfan

Wishing for a happy ending doesn’t make it happen. Obama has only just realized his strategic error in total disengagement when exiting Iraq. Now the Iraqi army is folding like a bad poker hand and there is little to nothing that can be done to shape events. Hopefully he won’t do some feel good thing like sending a few troops and dropping a few bombs at this point. Why risk more American lives in an impossible situation?

"Relief Over U.S. Exit From Iraq Fades as Reality Overtakes Hope
By PETER BAKERJUNE 22, 2014

WASHINGTON — Standing in Al Faw palace in Baghdad, surrounded by an artificial lake and the ragged remnants of eight years of war, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. felt a surge of emotion on that day in December 2011.
He had gone to Iraq to note the end of an era, the departure of American troops from a country that had cost his own so much. Ebullient, he praised the troops, congratulated the generals, wished Iraqi leaders good luck and calledPresident Obama to share his excitement.

“All I’ve said about this job, I take it back,” Mr. Biden later recalled telling Mr. Obama. “Thank you for giving me the chance to end this goddamn war.”
“Joe,” he remembered the president responding, “I’m glad you got to do it.”

For two men who had run for office on the promise of getting out of Iraq, it seemed like a moment of validation. But that moment has proved achingly ephemeral. It was not the end of the war or even the end of their involvement.

Two and a half years later, Mr. Obama has ordered up to 300 Special Operations members back to Iraq and may yet authorize airstrikes to prevent the collapse of the government at the hands of a brutal Islamic insurgency.

The journey from then to now is a tale of premature celebration and dashed hopes. A president who thought he had set Iraq on a more stable course that could be sustained without American help has now determined that American diplomacy and power are critical to saving it. Tired of war, like most Americans, he found his aspiration to move on bedeviled by forces tearing across a region in a story punctuated by miscalculation and missed opportunities."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/23/world/middleeast/relief-over-us-exit-from-iraq-fades-as-reality-overtakes-hope.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

It's idiocy to get involved at all. I think we should just wait for the dust to settle. If they set up a dictatorship that oppresses and threatens other countries... we simply surgically kill that dictator. With that exact message for the next guy too.

gatorfan

PkrBum wrote:It's idiocy to get involved at all. I think we should just wait for the dust to settle. If they set up a dictatorship that oppresses and threatens other countries... we simply surgically kill that dictator. With that exact message for the next guy too.

This is setting the stage for an Afghanistan exit. Whatever problems are found in Iraq are going to be exponentially worse in Afghanistan. It was a fools errand to attempt to construct a country from a collection of tribal areas. You're right - send them a message in the only way they understand.

I'd prefer vaporizing the despot while he's giving a speech to his minion with a fricking laser beam. Poof... puff of smoke.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

We still have not evacuated our Embassy.

gatorfan

Joanimaroni wrote:We still have not evacuated our Embassy.

They sent some folks to other locations and supposedly increased security but it must be an uncomfortable feeling sitting there watching the radicals advance so quickly. Particularly knowing police and military are being slaughtered even after abandoning their posts. It's a no win situation.

gatorfan wrote:Wishing for a happy ending doesn’t make it happen. Obama has only just realized his strategic error in total disengagement when exiting Iraq. Now the Iraqi army is folding like a bad poker hand and there is little to nothing that can be done to shape events. Hopefully he won’t do some feel good thing like sending a few troops and dropping a few bombs at this point. Why risk more American lives in an impossible situation?

"Relief Over U.S. Exit From Iraq Fades as Reality Overtakes Hope
By PETER BAKERJUNE 22, 2014

WASHINGTON — Standing in Al Faw palace in Baghdad, surrounded by an artificial lake and the ragged remnants of eight years of war, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. felt a surge of emotion on that day in December 2011.
He had gone to Iraq to note the end of an era, the departure of American troops from a country that had cost his own so much. Ebullient, he praised the troops, congratulated the generals, wished Iraqi leaders good luck and calledPresident Obama to share his excitement.

“All I’ve said about this job, I take it back,” Mr. Biden later recalled telling Mr. Obama. “Thank you for giving me the chance to end this goddamn war.”
“Joe,” he remembered the president responding, “I’m glad you got to do it.”

For two men who had run for office on the promise of getting out of Iraq, it seemed like a moment of validation. But that moment has proved achingly ephemeral. It was not the end of the war or even the end of their involvement.

Two and a half years later, Mr. Obama has ordered up to 300 Special Operations members back to Iraq and may yet authorize airstrikes to prevent the collapse of the government at the hands of a brutal Islamic insurgency.

The journey from then to now is a tale of premature celebration and dashed hopes. A president who thought he had set Iraq on a more stable course that could be sustained without American help has now determined that American diplomacy and power are critical to saving it. Tired of war, like most Americans, he found his aspiration to move on bedeviled by forces tearing across a region in a story punctuated by miscalculation and missed opportunities."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/23/world/middleeast/relief-over-us-exit-from-iraq-fades-as-reality-overtakes-hope.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Iraq has little to ZERO IADS. Dropping munitions will be a cakewalk.

The embassy is a damn fortress from what I saw in 2003-4 when I was there. It's not like where Stevens and Co were in Benghazi and I doubt Obama will now let that happen again considering the investigation going on.

PkrBum wrote:I'd prefer vaporizing the despot while he's giving a speech to his minion with a fricking laser beam. Poof... puff of smoke.

I like the way you think.  Twisted Evil 

If we only were a real country that followed our own rules instead of a global one.

A premature celebration then Iraq slaps Obama in the face Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBLDtEwKBCBrNEoVgnQ0hOY9NFXm-mtLA8NI4I8hiaM1H7qNce

Of course they haven't... Libya (Benghazi) all over again.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BmEGm-mraE

Smile 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum