Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

More so today than Vietnam Era

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1More so today than Vietnam Era Empty More so today than Vietnam Era 6/13/2014, 12:27 pm

dumpcare

Sal

Sal

We've seen this movie before.

Ford asked his secretary of state, "Supposing Ike, Kennedy, Johnson or Nixon were president, what would they have done?" Kissinger responded, "Kennedy would have ratted out. Nixon may have bombed, he was vicious in these things."

"How about Johnson?" asked Ford.

"He wouldn't have bugged out," replied Kissinger. "His advisers would have tried to bug out."

Then Ford took a shot at President Kennedy: "Without appearing to do so, Kennedy probably would have bugged out, with some famous statement that would have disguised it."

Kissinger told the president: "I must say it would be popular to say we have done enough….Give only humanitarian aid, negotiate with North Vietnam to take out those who want to go and say if the North won't agree, we'll do it by force."

"It goes against my grain," replied Ford.

"Mine too," said Kissinger.

"I don't feel I can do it," said Ford.

Kissinger then took charge. Referring to a planned presidential address to Congress, he said: "Then say in the speech you considered it and you don't know how we can withdraw aid from those who know the odds more than us and still want to go on fighting."

Kissinger knew, however, that the CIA had reported that some 150,000 South Vietnamese soldiers in the northern half of the country had been annihilated or simply disappeared since March 25, 1975, and that the North Vietnamese had captured more than $1 billion worth of equipment, including 400 airplanes and helicopters.

http://www.historynet.com/final-fiasco-the-fall-of-saigon.htm

Yes, but we never were engaged in another war in that region to ever have to come up against all the equipment left behind. We are in a situation with Iraq that there will be a good chance we will send out troops in harms way somewhere in the Middle East and out old equipment will be used against our own troops. Then we also had Obama giving Al Qaeda rebels in Libya stinger missiles that are current. Unlike the weapons we gave to the Mujahideen two and a half decades ago that won't work anymore due to the configuration of the battery life and upgrades (lack of) in software to make them functional.

2seaoat

there will be a good chance we will send out troops in harms way somewhere in the Middle East

About as good of a chance as a Republican being elected President of the United States.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:there will be a good chance we will send out troops in harms way somewhere in the Middle East

About as good of a chance as a Republican being elected President of the United States.
Hope and think you are right on both counts but that assumes we've learned something from recent events and have the capacity to remember it when the next opportunity to intervene presents itself.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum