Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CENTER RING AT THE REPUBLICAN CIRCUS - NY Times Editorial Board

+2
Sal
Floridatexan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

"The hottest competition in Washington this week is among House Republicans vying for a seat on the Benghazi kangaroo court, also known as the Select House Committee to Inflate a Tragedy Into a Scandal. Half the House has asked to “serve” on the committee, which is understandable since it’s the perfect opportunity to avoid any real work while waving frantically to right-wing voters stomping their feet in the grandstand.

They won’t pass a serious jobs bill, or raise the minimum wage, or reform immigration, but House Republicans think they can earn their pay for the rest of the year by exposing nonexistent malfeasance on the part of the Obama administration. On Thursday, they voted to create a committee to spend “such sums as may be necessary” to conduct an investigation of the 2012 attack on the consulate in Benghazi, Libya. The day before, they voted to hold in contempt Lois Lerner, the former Internal Revenue Service official whom they would love to blame for the administration’s crackdown on conservative groups, if only they could prove there was a crackdown, which they can’t, because there wasn’t.

Both actions stem from the same impulse: a need to rouse the most fervent anti-Obama wing of the party and keep it angry enough to deliver its donations and votes to Republicans in the November elections. For a while it seemed as if the Affordable Care Act would perform that role, but Republicans ran into a problem when the country began to realize that it was not destroying American civilization but in fact helping millions of people.

Party leaders needed something more reliable, so they went back and revived two dormant scandals from last year, the embers of which were faithfully tended by Republican adjuncts on Fox News and talk radio. Their hope is to show that the administration is corrupt and untrustworthy, and if Hillary Rodham Clinton also gets roughed up in the process, so much the better.

Four Americans, including the United States ambassador, died in Benghazi, and their deaths have been crassly used by Republicans as a political cudgel, wildly swung in the dark. They have failed to provide proof for any number of conspiracy theories about the administration’s failures, including the particularly ludicrous charge from Representative Darrell Issa that Mrs. Clinton, then the secretary of state, told the Pentagon to “stand down” and not help defend the American compound.

In fact, investigations by two congressional committees (including one run by Republicans) found that there was never any kind of “stand-down order” [b][/b]or request. But Mr. Issa and others keep repeating it because, for their purposes, the facts don’t matter.

Now Republicans are frothing about a newly released email message showing that the White House wanted Susan Rice, the American ambassador to the United Nations at the time, to go on television in 2012 and make the case that the attack was not a failure of administration policy. The message should have been turned over earlier because all it shows is a routine attempt to spin the news in the most favorable way to the White House. Though it is not the slightest evidence of a cover-up, it has become the foundation for the committee’s existence. Demonstrating the panel’s true purpose, Republican political operatives are already raising money by stoking donor anger on Benghazi.

Democrats who are now debating whether to participate in the committee shouldn’t hesitate to skip it. Their presence would only lend legitimacy to a farce.

Similarly, the Justice Department should not press Ms. Lerner’s contempt citation before a grand jury. She invoked her Fifth Amendment rights at a hearing last year and refused to testify, but Republicans claim, without foundation, that she waived those riights by first proclaiming her innocence. Her refusal, they said, was contemptuous of Congress. Little nuisances like constitutional rights or basic facts can’t be allowed to stand in the way when House Republicans need to whip up their party’s fury.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/opinion/center-ring-at-the-republican-circus.html?hpw&rref=opinion&_r=1

CENTER RING AT THE REPUBLICAN CIRCUS - NY Times Editorial Board Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUHMeIAIsmtCLOwo3we84OmHY2atWt0qkNS2dD3WEam0gHot4K

Sal

Sal

The potential for the GOP to self-immolate in all of this is pretty good, so I say, "Please proceed, governor.".

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

CENTER RING AT THE REPUBLICAN CIRCUS - NY Times Editorial Board Issahearingonbenghazi

("Step right up, ladies and gentlemen, to the greatest show on Earth, or anywhere, for that matter. Look to your left at the Benghazi tent, with a replica of the smoking gun and the memo it's named after. And on your right, busts of our champions in our continuing investigation into the...well, it was just horrible...and it was the IRS...anyhoo, don't miss the show. Half price... today only...don't worry...your ticket price will be matched by...others.")

Yep and here we go SIN tactic applied-

Shift the blame
Ignore the facts
Name call

You twerps know that the Obama house of cards is coming down lol

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Yep and here we go SIN tactic applied-

Shift the blame
Ignore the facts
Name call

CENTER RING AT THE REPUBLICAN CIRCUS - NY Times Editorial Board Got-ha12

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Shift the blame
Ignore the facts
Name call

Who's using a tactic? Me? Or the NYT? You're incredibly dense.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/04/whca-survey-the-white-house-beat-uncovered-106071.html#.U24aecq2W5k

THE WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS’ ASSOCIATION began as a response to Woodrow Wilson’s threat to end presidential press conferences. A century later,White House reporters no longer have to line up outside the fence each morning to shout their questions,but they’re still fighting for access: Photographers rarely get candid shots of President Obama, while reporters vie for coveted interviews with him or simply for on-the-record quotes from administration officials addicted to anonymity. So what’s it really like on a beat one FDR-era reporter called “devoid of allurements to all except chess players and gentlemen in need of sleep”?POLITICO MAGAZINE asked the members of the White House press corps to share their thoughts in the most comprehensive survey yet of this unique group of journalists.

The best way to get information out of this White House is… “By going outside the White House—to Congress, the Pentagon, the State Department or the political world.” —Jonathan Karl, ABC News // “From the outside in.” —Caren Bohan, Reuters // “Get it from the Hill first.” —Stephen Collinson, AFP // “Work around the walls of them saying ‘no.’ ” —Bryan Cole, Fox News // “Tweet something they disagree with.” —Mark S. Smith, Associated Press // “Talk to the assistant press secretary, the deputy to key administration officials.” —Steve Scully, C-SPAN.

When President Obama calls this the “most transparent administration in history,” my reaction is… “To groan. Depends on what your definition of ‘transparent’ is. This WH means it is putting its own version of pictures, video and readouts on its own website.” —Ann Compton, ABC News // “Prove it, Mr. President!” —Takaaki Abe, Nippon Television // “The history of which country?” —Keith Koffler, White House Dossier // “To search online for ‘most powerful cricket team in Alaska’ while I order another round.” —Olivier Knox, Yahoo News.

http://jonathanturley.org/2014/03/25/new-york-times-risen-calls-obama-administration-the-greatest-enemy-of-press-freedom-in-a-generation/

Now one of the most respected journalists in the country, New York Times reporter and Pulitzer Prize winner Jim Risen, has declared that the Obama Administration is the greatest threat to a free press in a generation.

Risen spoke at the Sources and Secrets conference in New York City and told the crowd that the Obama administration “the greatest enemy of press freedom that we have encountered in at least a generation.” Risen said that the Administration has actively sought to “narrow the field of national security reporting” and “create a path for accepted reporting” while threatening to punish those who do not yield.

Risen is not just some disgruntled reporter. He won the Pulitzer prize for National Reporting in 2006 for his stories about the Bush warrantless wiretapping program. He was also a group recipient of the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for Explanatory Reporting for coverage of 9/11 and terrorism. He is considered the gold standard for investigative reporting. In my recent column on the loss of press freedom, I referred to this time as “one of the most inspiring periods for journalism.” I was thinking of Risen and a couple of other courageous reporters who have revealed abuses under this and the prior administration ranging from torture to surveillance to secret prisons.

Previously, the New York Times editors lambasted Obama for his attack on the free press. New York Times Executive Editor Jill Abramson has added her voice:

"This is the most secretive White House that I have ever been involved in covering, and that includes — I spent 22 years of my career in Washington and covered presidents from President Reagan on up through now, and I was Washington bureau chief of the Times during George W. Bush’s first term.

I dealt directly with the Bush White House when they had concerns that stories we were about to run put the national security under threat. But, you know, they were not pursuing criminal leak investigations. The Obama administration has had seven criminal leak investigations. That is more than twice the number of any previous administration in our history. It’s on a scale never seen before. This is the most secretive White House that, at least as a journalist, I have ever dealt with."

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/04/whca-survey-the-white-house-beat-uncovered-106071.html#.U24aecq2W5k

THE WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS’ ASSOCIATION began as a response to Woodrow Wilson’s threat to end presidential press conferences. A century later,White House reporters no longer have to line up outside the fence each morning to shout their questions,but they’re still fighting for access: Photographers rarely get candid shots of President Obama, while reporters vie for coveted interviews with him or simply for on-the-record quotes from administration officials addicted to anonymity. So what’s it really like on a beat one FDR-era reporter called “devoid of allurements to all except chess players and gentlemen in need of sleep”?POLITICO MAGAZINE asked the members of the White House press corps to share their thoughts in the most comprehensive survey yet of this unique group of journalists.

The best way to get information out of this White House is… “By going outside the White House—to Congress, the Pentagon, the State Department or the political world.” —Jonathan Karl, ABC News // “From the outside in.” —Caren Bohan, Reuters // “Get it from the Hill first.” —Stephen Collinson, AFP // “Work around the walls of them saying ‘no.’ ” —Bryan Cole, Fox News // “Tweet something they disagree with.” —Mark S. Smith, Associated Press // “Talk to the assistant press secretary, the deputy to key administration officials.” —Steve Scully, C-SPAN.

When President Obama calls this the “most transparent administration in history,” my reaction is… “To groan. Depends on what your definition of ‘transparent’ is. This WH means it is putting its own version of pictures, video and readouts on its own website.” —Ann Compton, ABC News // “Prove it, Mr. President!” —Takaaki Abe, Nippon Television // “The history of which country?” —Keith Koffler, White House Dossier // “To search online for ‘most powerful cricket team in Alaska’ while I order another round.” —Olivier Knox, Yahoo News.

http://jonathanturley.org/2014/03/25/new-york-times-risen-calls-obama-administration-the-greatest-enemy-of-press-freedom-in-a-generation/

Now one of the most respected journalists in the country, New York Times reporter and Pulitzer Prize winner Jim Risen, has declared that the Obama Administration is the greatest threat to a free press in a generation.

Risen spoke at the Sources and Secrets conference in New York City and told the crowd that the Obama administration “the greatest enemy of press freedom that we have encountered in at least a generation.” Risen said that the Administration has actively sought to “narrow the field of national security reporting” and “create a path for accepted reporting” while threatening to punish those who do not yield.

Risen is not just some disgruntled reporter. He won the Pulitzer prize for National Reporting in 2006 for his stories about the Bush warrantless wiretapping program. He was also a group recipient of the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for Explanatory Reporting for coverage of 9/11 and terrorism. He is considered the gold standard for investigative reporting. In my recent column on the loss of press freedom, I referred to this time as “one of the most inspiring periods for journalism.” I was thinking of Risen and a couple of other courageous reporters who have revealed abuses under this and the prior administration ranging from torture to surveillance to secret prisons.

Previously, the New York Times editors lambasted Obama for his attack on the free press. New York Times Executive Editor Jill Abramson has added her voice:

"This is the most secretive White House that I have ever been involved in covering, and that includes — I spent 22 years oftmy career in Washington and covered presidents from President Reagan on up through now, and I was Washington bureau chief of the Times during George W. Bush’s first term.

I dealt directly with the Bush White House when they had concerns that stories we were about to run put the national security under threat. But, you know, they were not pursuing criminal leak investigations. The Obama administration has had seven criminal leak investigations. That is more than twice the number of any previous administration in our history. It’s on a scale never seen before. This is the most secretive White House that, at least as a journalist, I have ever dealt with.
"

Wow, I'm sure SOME of the posters will swear the reporter made the comment because Obama is black...not biracial but black. It has nothing to with policies, actions or comments by Obama and his administration. It's all about skin color, according to our resident racist, Seaoat.

Indiana university polled 1,000 in media and only 7% self identified themselves as republican. Cue seagoat excuse...

This president has received more latitude and support than any president since jfk. That's not their job.

Floridatexan wrote:

Shift the blame
Ignore the facts
Name call

Who's using a tactic?  Me?  Or the NYT?  You're incredibly dense.

You, the NYT, and every liberal out there who knows y'alls time is up....and you're included because you are promulgating it

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Shift the blame
Ignore the facts
Name call

Who's using a tactic?  Me?  Or the NYT?  You're incredibly dense.

You, the NYT, and every liberal out there who knows y'alls time is up....and you're included because you are promulgating it

Promulgating what, little tin man? You said the same thing in 2008 and 2012. It looks to me like the TIMES was RIDICULING the stupidity of the GOP. Yep, that's what they were doing. Too many people have been hurt by the policies of the Republican party, be they foreign or domestic. It's your side whose time is up. All you have left is lies.

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
"The hottest competition in Washington this week is among House Republicans vying for a seat on the Benghazi kangaroo court, also known as the Select House Committee to Inflate a Tragedy Into a Scandal. Little nuisances like constitutional rights or basic facts can’t be allowed to stand in the way when House Republicans need to whip up their party’s fury.

New York Times Editorial Board...Really?

Are you REALLY that desperate? Why not one from the DailyKOS or The Nation?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Are you REALLY that desperate? Why not one from the DailyKOS or The Nation?

Didn't you post an article from The Blaze in one of your posts earlier today? Talk about desperation......

CENTER RING AT THE REPUBLICAN CIRCUS - NY Times Editorial Board Ha_ha_21

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

Indiana university polled 1,000 in media and only 7% self identified themselves as republican. Cue seagoat excuse...

This president has received more latitude and support than any president since jfk. That's not their job.

Doctors scored high on their admission tests.........only 7% identified themselves as Republicans........before 1982 this was probably 40%, but when you have trickle down economics, and Benghazi........you might have a drop off, as those people who want to go into journalism lack the intelligence and skills.  It used to be that Republicans had the brains.....but with the migration of Dixiecrats into the party....the smarts left the house, and therein lies the problem....most people in the medical field and most in the media have certain skill sets......and stupid is incongruous.  So no excuse is needed.....the news media and doctors are not stupid, so if 7% of Doctors are nit wits.....why would I be making an excuse when clearly the other 93% are using their brains.

Now in regard to latitude.....sorry the 7% of the media found Fox.....and with the same a platform for stupid.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Are you REALLY that desperate? Why not one from the DailyKOS or The Nation?

Didn't you post an article from The Blaze in one of your posts earlier today? Talk about desperation......

CENTER RING AT THE REPUBLICAN CIRCUS - NY Times Editorial Board Ha_ha_21

Show me where. If you can, then show us where the FACTS are wrong. Posted here was an EDITORIAL. Would you like me to explain the difference to you too?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum