Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Perk" Test

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1"Perk"  Test Empty "Perk" Test 5/6/2014, 9:52 pm

When i bought my Property in Seminole I had to have a pert test to see if the property was suitable for a septic tank. I guess that you don't have to have one if there is Sewage service available. I wonder if some of this flooding damage,standing water etc, could have been avoided with a "Pert" test. If the property fails the test, you can't build.

2"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/6/2014, 10:05 pm

He he... Perk test huh  Razz 

Sorry itchi, I couldn't resist. Ive been good all day and I saw a perk test thread... and well....................................... bounce 

3"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/6/2014, 10:14 pm

2seaoat

Today with mound septic systems.......you can put them over almost any soils. I do not care how the soil perks, 20 plus inches of rain is not something man can design cities to handle......they would go bankrupt in the process....chit happens.

Yea if all this happened with a six inch rain......get the ropes and find some trees, but 20 inches plus......get a boat.

4"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/6/2014, 10:19 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I live way north of Milton and because of all the clay up here I had to put in a drain field over 3 times the normal size...I wonder why some places in Pensacola are draining so slowly ?

5"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/6/2014, 10:25 pm

Point was, that if your property failed a perk test you could plan accordingly.  Or you could just build and claim you did not know any better.  

6"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/6/2014, 10:29 pm

2seaoat

Are you suggesting any soil in the world would perk 20 plus inches of rain in 24 hours?.......I think I saw that soil in a Tarzan movie.....it was called quick sand.

7"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/6/2014, 10:38 pm

Let me give you a clue Mr Oats.  This is not the first time Escambia co has flooded.   Back in the 80s Downtown flooded and many roads washed out.  Old Corry was one of them.  I have a VHS tape of another flood  that happened a few years later., it was confined mostly in the North end.   Nothing as serious as this one but we have a lot of flood prone areas.  Lake Charlene has had a on going flooding issues.   Some areas should never have been been developed..

8"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/6/2014, 10:43 pm

2seaoat

Some areas should never have been been developed..

It took this flood for you to figure that out? I take one look at Santa Rosa Island and I figured that out over 40 years ago.

9"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/6/2014, 11:16 pm

2seaoat wrote:Some areas should never have been been developed..

It took this flood for you to figure that out?   I take one look at Santa Rosa Island and I figured that out over 40 years ago.

Maybe you should have told your neighbors about your assessment of their properties

My beloved neighbor who I would sit and drink beer and talk about the world was a pilot who had enough after Ivan and has moved to NC. My other neighbor is trying to sell his house and plans to move to a lake in KY. Both of them shared one common denominator......they simply had gotten too old to deal with the chit, and the risk that more was coming. Both had four feet of water with Ivan, and less with Dennis, but enough to turn them sour on the realities that a great place to visit for a couple weeks or months may not be a place for an older person to spend his final years when they are frail and vulnerable.

10"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/6/2014, 11:23 pm

2seaoat

Maybe you should have told your neighbors about your assessment of their properties

They retired on a bayou, had boats and loved fishing......when the I-10 bridge went down they had five feet of water in their homes.....they were both in their seventies......then Dennis came a year later.........they are gone, and they bought their houses before I was their neighbor, and I built my house eight feet higher than theirs.....so I guess I was telling them something about my knowledge when I built and compacted a five foot base of clay, and then built three extra feet over a crawl space.

11"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/7/2014, 12:02 am

Markle

Markle

Mr Ichi wrote:Point was, that if your property failed a perk test you could plan accordingly.  Or you could just build and claim you did not know any better.  

You couldn't get a septic tank permit. If you had a bad perk test, you had to put in an engineered septic tank system. I don't know about Pensacola but here in Tallahassee such a system costs in the neighborhood of $15,000.

With such a rain, you're going to have flooding. Period. If you don't live in an area higher than the majority of land around you, buy flood insurance. Something as simple as clogged drain pipes under a highway or railroad can cause flooding in areas that "never" flooded before.

If you don't want to do any of the above, self insure and see how that works.

12"Perk"  Test Empty Re: "Perk" Test 5/7/2014, 1:19 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

As heavy as the recent rains were, the flooding might not have been so widespread without the record rainfall we'd already had. The water simply had no place to go. I don't believe I've ever seen lightning like we had that night...and I hope to never see it again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum