Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know.

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know. - Page 2 Blade_runner-poster-681x1024

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:You got me thinking about movie posters and the first movie as a child that I realized was special....The bridge over the River Kwai....which was a 1957 film.  Well I saw some posters, and one struck me as particularly odd.  It had the date 1958 on the poster, but then it had language about the same makers of Lawrence of Arabia......that movie was made in 1962.......this is flat out bizarre.....I feel like I just entered the twilight zone.

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai-1958-Posters_i6285830_.htm

Bridge on the River Kwai was a Christmas movie released to theaters on December 14,  1957 so it was so close to 1958 that would probably explain the poster technically not providing the year accurately.

"From the makers of Lawrence of Arabia" on the 62 poster tells us this poster was produced for a re-release of "Bridge" to capitalize on David Lean's enormous box office success with Lawrence of Arabia.  Which is just movie marketing.

Last edited by Bob on 4/17/2014, 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know. - Page 2 Blade_runner-poster-681x1024

That's a great movie poster art-wise. And it represents one of the best sci-flicks ever made.
BUT, a poster could be a beautiful work of art like that one and the movie suck big hairy ones because there are a great many examples of that happening.

I have several hundred movie posters and some of the most attractive ones of all were made for some of the most mediocre nothing movies you could ever imagine.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But there again,  with the Blade Runner poster all I need to know is the name of the filmmaker on that poster and that would clinch it for me.
Although he did finally make a dog with that prequel to "Alien" which I now cannot even remember the movie's title.  lol

2seaoat

That makes sense on a release after 1962, and I suppose the 1958 is simply a reference to the original, and prior to videos, the release five or so years after the original was a great revenue flow. I remember seeing gone with the wind in a release in the mid sixties.....it was a big deal.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:That makes sense on a release after 1962, and I suppose the 1958 is simply a reference to the original, and prior to videos, the release five or so years after the original was a great revenue flow.  I remember seeing gone with the wind in a release in the mid sixties.....it was a big deal.

Same thing can happen with actors. An actor's early film can be overlooked by ticket buyers since the actor wasn't known.
But if and when that actor later becomes a box-office superstar, his earlier movie would be re-released with movie posters which promote that.

2seaoat

I remember the popularity of a batman series on TV in the mid sixties when they decided to release the batman movie.....it was an older hokey version and the kids were booing and leaving the theater.....but they made a lot of money on that release of a B movie nobody went to.......and lots of money until the word got out that it was not the Batman on TV.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This very thing you introduced to the discussion is all important in movie poster collecting, seaoat (I'm not one I just accidentally got Wally Yost's posters cheap to re-sell).

When a poster collector is interested in a purchase,  the first thing he wants to know is when the poster was produced.   Before videocassettes were introduced,  it wasn't uncommon to see movies be re-released again in theaters a half-dozen times.  And a poster could be and usually was produced for each subsequent release.
And then when videocassetes came on the scene,  you had different posters for the videocassette release than you did for the theatrical release.

Sometimes,  the later poster is identical or close to identical to the original poster.  And the earlier the poster was made almost always determines the value of the poster.  Sometimes the difference in value is enormous.  That is especially true of the posters for the 50's sci-fi and horror flicks.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:But there again,  with the Blade Runner poster all I need to know is the name of the filmmaker on that poster and that would clinch it for me.
Although he did finally make a dog with that prequel to "Alien" which I now cannot even remember the movie's title.  lol

Prometheus. 

I think you gave it a thumbs up. 

Blade Runner is in my top five movies of all time. 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
Prometheus. 

I think you gave it a thumbs up. 

You thought wrong.  I never said anything good about that movie.
What I did say was I dozed through a lot of it.  lol

But to be fair,  I loved both Ridley Scott's Alien and James Cameron's sequel to it Aliens so much that my expectations were too high when I learned Scott was making the prequel to that movie franchise.  
If those movies had never been made I probably would have not disliked it so much.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think what you might be remembering is me saying I had really high hopes for Prometheus, Sal, which is correct. But that all changed once I got to the movie theater.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:I think what you might be remembering is me saying I had really high hopes for Prometheus,  Sal,  which is correct.  But that all changed once I got to the movie theater.

I'll take your word for it, Bob. 

I thought you gave it a thumbs up, but opined it was inappropriate for a 13-year-old. 

But, my memory could be flawed. 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There's a good Howard Stern interview of John Cusack on youtube.
In that interview,  Cusack argues that there are three elements to moviemaking and all three have to be done exceptionally well for a movie to be good.  And if just any one of the three doesn't measure up,  that can sink the whole thing.
The three elements are the pre-production (writing),  production (filming),  and post-production (editing).

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But ironically,  both the "pre-production" and the "production" of the finest movie ever made (in my opinion),  were done at the same time.  The movie dialogue was written on the fly from day to day as the movie was being filmed.
And that method produced some of the most memorable dialogue ever in movies.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The Johnny Depp sci-fi flick "Transcendance" opens today.

I just found this. It's a hoot.

http://transportevolved.com/2014/04/15/johnny-depp-admits-elon-musk-got-speeding-ticket-showing-tesla-model-s/

Even though this movie touches on a really interesting topic, the question of whether or not our advances in technology will eventually be our downfall, according to this the movie may suck bad...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transcendence_2014/

Sal

Sal

Our local movie complex has the following offerings today ....

1. Noah
2. Son of God
3. God's Not Dead
4. Heaven is for Real

WTF?

We are getting dumber as a people.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Our local movie complex has the following offerings today ....

1. Noah
2. Son of God
3. God's Not Dead
4. Heaven is for Real

WTF?

Man you must really be in the sticks. You mean your cineplex aint got
Spiderman vs the Transformers III. lol

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:Our local movie complex has the following offerings today ....

1. Noah
2. Son of God
3. God's Not Dead
4. Heaven is for Real

WTF?

Man you must really be in the sticks.  You mean your cineplex aint got
Spiderman vs the Transformers III.  lol

Actually, there are 20 theaters.

So yeah, they're also showing the usual fare.

But, 20% thumper movies??

That seems excessive.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This one is in the works too. Do you recognize that name on it? If this gets nominated for an Oscar it'll put Milton and Pace on the map. lol

Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know. - Page 2 The-Magic-Man-in-the-Sky_both

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum