Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Unbelievable....US government seizes tax refunds of children to satisfy parents' debts.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/social-security-treasury-target-hundreds-of-thousands-of-taxpayers-for-parents-old-debts/2014/04/10/74ac8eae-bf4d-11e3-bcec-b71ee10e9bc3_story.html?hpid=z1

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sounds like government control......scary.

It's been heading this way for a while now... stay tuned. Control is effective ownership.

Nekochan

Nekochan

From the article:

Grice was also told there was little point in seeking a waiver of her debt. Collections can only be halted if the person passes two tests, Clark said: The taxpayer must prove that he “is without fault, and [that] repayment of the overpayment would deprive the person of income needed for ordinary living expenses.”

Mad  Mad  Mad  Mad  Mad  Mad  Mad  Mad  Mad  Mad  Mad  Mad  Mad 

Why is the burden on the taxpayer? It should be on the government! This makes me so angry! How is someone who was a kid 40 years ago supposed to prove that they are innocent????

That's just crazy. I don't see how they get away w/ it?

There is always some income tax horror story just before the dead line to pay. Count of it..

Dreamsglore wrote:That's just crazy. I don't see how they get away w/ it?

Progressively

2seaoat

The proof is in the pudding. Only 10% of the appeals are successful. My only complaint is the notice requirement. Every person should be given a notice prior to their refund being attached so they can appeal. I applaud the government going after amounts owed to the government. If they give notice, and continue to win on appeal at a rate of 90%.......keep up the good work. Good government does not allow fraud and overpayment of benefits. After my father died, my mother received a ss check with my name on it, and my brother's name on it. As long as I was in college or graduate school, she received those checks. After I was 21 those benefits should have been paid directly to me, but my mother needed them and I was working my way through school. If she continued to get those checks for a few month more after I graduated the government most certainly would win on attaching my tax refund. The 10% of successful appeals probably deal with notice deficiencies.

What a bunch of shit!

And no surprise oat is on board with it for him the gov can do anything gov is god to him

2seaoat

If it was the chit you propose, the successful appeals would be 90%. Sorry, people should not be rewarded by fraud and stealing benefits from the government. I want the government to roast people who cheat and are guilty of fraud. I want 100% recovery of government money.

Let me ask you a question. A person comes up to you and sells you a gold coin. You pay. A week later the, a policeman comes to your door, looks at the coin and determines it is stolen property and takes the coin and returns it too the rightful owner.......are you suggesting the person should keep the coin?......because if that person loses the coin, and the money they paid to the person when purchasing the coin......it is not fair...........sorry charlie.

Lets say you and three partners sign a note for a car. You think the payments are being made, but the bank repossesses the car, and then does a non wage garnishment and attaches your bank account for the full amount of the deficiency on car sold at auction. You argue it is unfair that only you were selected on the debt.......do you even understand the concept of joint and several liability? You cannot handicap stupidity, and the idea that the government should not collect debt owed the government is stupid on steroids.

Sorry Seaoat but SS Survivors benefits only go to age 18 and they put them in the spouses name. I used to get one. The money is given to the spouse to help w/ household expenses so the children should not be liable for it.

2seaoat

Dreams they currently can go to 19, but in the past they went to 23. They have the name of the child, and yes they are payable to the surviving parent for the benefit of that child.

2seaoat wrote:Dreams they currently can go to 19, but in the past they went to 23.  They have the name of the child, and yes they are payable to the surviving parent for the benefit of that child.

arguing over the age is irrelevant.

Now, Social Security claims it overpaid someone in the Grice family — it’s not sure who — in 1977. After 37 years of silence, four years after Sadie Grice died, the government is coming after her daughter. Why the feds chose to take Mary’s money, rather than her surviving siblings’, is a mystery.

Across the nation, hundreds of thousands of taxpayers who are expecting refunds this month are instead getting letters like the one Grice got, informing them that because of a debt they never knew about — often a debt incurred by their parents — the government has confiscated their check.

The Treasury Department has intercepted $1.9 billion in tax refunds already this year

Facts are they are taking peoples hard earned money away from them unexpectedly for debts someone else incurred.

This is BULL SHIT!

and when I say to you that this is exactly what is going to happen to all those people now receiving Medicaid, and or possibly ins subsidies then we can fully understand the scope of which our gov demands ownership of us for a price so many were willing to pay.

crow wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Dreams they currently can go to 19, but in the past they went to 23.  They have the name of the child, and yes they are payable to the surviving parent for the benefit of that child.

arguing over the age is irrelevant.

Now, Social Security claims it overpaid someone in the Grice family — it’s not sure who — in 1977. After 37 years of silence, four years after Sadie Grice died, the government is coming after her daughter. Why the feds chose to take Mary’s money, rather than her surviving siblings’, is a mystery.

Across the nation, hundreds of thousands of taxpayers who are expecting refunds this month are instead getting letters like the one Grice got, informing them that because of a debt they never knew about — often a debt incurred by their parents — the government has confiscated their check.

The Treasury Department has intercepted $1.9 billion in tax refunds already this year

Facts are they are taking peoples hard earned money away from them unexpectedly for debts someone else incurred.

This is BULL SHIT!

and when I say to you that this is exactly what is going to happen to all those people now receiving Medicaid, and or possibly ins subsidies then we can fully understand the scope of which our gov demands ownership of us for a price so many were willing to pay.

Nicely put... control is effective ownership. A debtor's prison is the final nail... but the implied force is loud and clear.

The agenda of the govt to subjugate the citizenry should be becoming apparent to every citizen by now. nsa, irs, dhs, epa...

2seaoat

The agenda of the govt to subjugate the citizenry should be becoming apparent to every citizen by now.

Nonsense. I have fought overstepping government for 30 plus years and that is what citizens do......but some little girls sit and whine that their freedoms are being restricted.......freedom is earned. Let the lazy and slothful continue to whine about government.....for some of us, we participate, and make a difference.

2seaoat wrote:The agenda of the govt to subjugate the citizenry should be becoming apparent to every citizen by now.

Nonsense. I have fought overstepping government for 30 plus years and that is what citizens do......but some little girls sit and whine that their freedoms are being restricted.......freedom is earned. Let the lazy and slothful continue to whine about government.....for some of us, we participate, and make a difference.

Freedom is an inalienable right... ya fucking commie. You've excused every overreach... you're a terrible steward.

The trend is obvious to anyone with any grasp of the founding principles... you defend fundamental transformation.

2seaoat wrote:The agenda of the govt to subjugate the citizenry should be becoming apparent to every citizen by now.

Nonsense.   I have fought overstepping government for 30 plus years and that is what citizens do......but some little girls sit and whine that their freedoms are being restricted.......freedom is earned.   Let the lazy and slothful continue to whine about government.....for some of us, we participate, and make a difference.

Unbelievable....US government seizes tax refunds of children to satisfy parents' debts.  Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9OwEvQooqwksm2nVJwTmHscMY7WtIXLDUJzCOyiRX36lsXkAR

So why do you sit with the little girls and whine about how you want the government to expand and provide you more?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if34bKbBqXI

Smile 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum