Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Republicans block Veteran bill to help Vets-keep on voting republican Peedog! LOL!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/02/senate-gop-blocks-veterans-benefits-bill/

If this was an important bill to the Dems, why didn't the Dems use their filibuster-proof ability to shove this through like Obamacare? Is it because there were reasons to not support this bill even amongst the Dems? Hmmmm, let me know and get back to me, loser. The fact is this....not even enough of your own PEOPLE liked it well enough to get it passed and that is the sad thing. You love to paint 1/2 a picture and expect everyone to go along with the perception you view.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:If this was an important bill to the Dems, why didn't the Dems use their filibuster-proof ability to shove this through like Obamacare?

What, in your mind, constitutes a filibuster-proof majority?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PACEDOG#1 wrote:If this was an important bill to the Dems, why didn't the Dems use their filibuster-proof ability to shove this through like Obamacare? Is it because there were reasons to not support this bill even amongst the Dems? Hmmmm, let me know and get back to me, loser. The fact is this....not even enough of your own PEOPLE liked it well enough to get it passed and that is the sad thing. You love to paint 1/2 a picture and expect everyone to go along with the perception you view.

The new Senate rule re the filibuster does not apply to all Senate business. In this case 60 votes were required to pass the bill.

Senate Republicans derailed efforts to move forward with a $21 billion bill to enhance health care, education and job benefits for veterans.
Republicans stopped the veterans bill from moving on a procedural vote, which needed 60 votes. The final tally was 56-41.
Republicans and Democrats normally agree on the need to enhance benefits for the nation’s 22 million veterans and their families, but Republican senators wanted to lower the amount of spending in the bill.  The GOP senators also wanted to include a measure that would have imposed new sanctions against Iran, which President Obama has warned against doing at this time.  Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid blocked the amendments from being considered.
“Shame on the Republicans for bringing base politics into a bill to help the veterans,” Reid said on the Senate floor Thursday morning.
The bill would have improved benefits for veterans, including better health care and dental services provided by the VA.  It also would have guaranteed post-9/11 veterans access to in-state tuition rates at public colleges and universities in any state.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum