Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I wonder of the Ball Park has anything to do with this? Surely not.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

It seems not too long ago I heard that the CMPA was going to be the catalyst for a Booming down town restaurant and Bar scene.  People would flock from the games and over whelm the downtown area with business.  We were assured that Food concessions at the stadium would only enhance the Down Town food businesses.  Now it appears that is too  little  pie for all the  food Joints.  To my untrained eye it appears that Mr Studer got his share of the pie with over  a million(?) dollars in food/beer sales.  I have to be wrong.  I know Rick O would not leave out such a fact.  So why then if the Ball Park is such a blessing, are the local Down Town businesses not showing it?

RSS Rick's Blog

Outtakes—Grow the Pie

The recent controversy over food trucks in downtown Pensacola has brought to the surface a problem that city officials and the Downtown Improvement Board (DIB) have avoided discussing publicly. Downtown restaurants and nightclubs are struggling.

Three months after the Mayor Ashton Hayward celebrated Palafox being one of the “10 Great Streets in America,” owners along the street are sharing with the Independent News that 2013 was not a very good year for them. We have been told that revenues were either only slightly up or they were down 10 percent for the year.

Most blame the influx of new restaurants and bars along Palafox over the past 15 months. They argue that the “pie” is only so big, and the new competition is making their “slice” smaller and smaller every month.  And as we published recently (Independent News, “Ch-ch-change,” Jan. 16), more establishments are coming.

The food trucks are being fought because they are seen by some of the restaurant owners as the possible “death blow” to their future on Palafox. They say that Pensacola isn’t Austin, New Orleans or Tampa. Our city, specifically, doesn’t have the population to support food trucks and “brick and mortar” eateries, according to them.

I see the issue differently. Instead of restricting competition, city hall should be trying to grow the “pie,” and direct the DIB to spend more of its budget on marketing downtown.

The mayor appoints all DIB members. The board is funded with an assessment charged to all property owners inside its district. The time has come, or maybe the better words are “has returned,” for that board to focus on marketing — not parking, property values and infrastructure.

Nearly half a million residents live within an hour’s drive of downtown Pensacola —
more than enough to support downtown Pensacola businesses.

Events like Gallery Night and Wine Walks are simply vitamin shots for the downtown businesses that keep them alive until the next event, but those too will become less effective over time. Such events should only be a part of a more comprehensive and consistent effort to draw customers to downtown.

The DIB should pull off the shelf the Retail Strategy Plan developed in 2007 by Marketing Developments, Inc. The Palafox Market was one its recommendations, but there were more that could attract more people to downtown on a regular basis.

This area has more than enough potential customers to support downtown Pensacola. Mayor Hayward, DIB and the downtown business owners need to work together to go after them. Grow the pie.

2seaoat

He is correct....with the increased downtown traffic there are a great many more restaurants, and food carts, and one would expect a decrease in business with so many choices, but marketing will only increase the size of the pie which is a good thing.

The question is " Did the ball park reduce the size of the pie?"

2seaoat

The question is " Did the ball park reduce the size of the pie?"

Wrong question again. The question is simple. What were the sales tax receipts for food and beverage in Pensacola in 2011. What were they in 2012 and 2013. I am certain if you take the time to answer your own question you will see significant increases in the same.

So you don't know if it did or not?

Attributed to Property Tax & Local Business Tax
Revenues

Franchise Fees & Public Service Tax
-
-
$74,700
or
1.298% Down

Half
-
Cent Sales Tax

+$14,900
or 0.99% Up

Communication Services Tax

+$1,500
or 0.10%
Up

Municipal Revenue Sharing

+$10,400
or 0.94

Community Maritime Park Management Services Fund
(Continued)

Non
-
Agreement

Grand Opening Event of Community
Maritime Park

Rescheduled for November 17, 2012

Donations
-
$100,250

Additional donations are anticipated, but have not
been received.

Grand opening expenditures exceeded donations by
$37,212

Consultant reviewing financial aspects of Community
Maritime Park

Operating subsidy needed by fiscal year end
-
$300,000

Security Services outside the stadium total $47,03

2seaoat

The question is very specific and it is a good indicator on total pie. You need to get the food and beverage sales tax dollars and compare.

2seaoat

Half
-
Cent Sales Tax

+$14,900
or 0.99% Up

I think a person would need to see if they can break out sales tax dollars on food and beverages. Any discussion of the food carts should have a baseline to determine if in fact the pie has gotten bigger.

Grocery sales tax or a tv at best buy would not give you clean numbers for a fair analysis.

Here is a better idea. Lets look at a total budget projection.. After all it is the total that counts. Studerville saved the day, didn't it. LOL

CITY OF PENSACOLA -- The city of Pensacola is constitutionally mandated to keep a balanced budget. But early projections are showing a potential multi-million dollar shortfall for 2014. At a recent city council meeting, City Administrator Bill Reynolds got up and told the council that the city is facing a more than three million dollar budget shortfall for the 2014 fiscal year. We came to the city today to find out how that might effect city residents. It's the focus of our Waste Watch report. The budget process is a balancing act with tax dollars and revenue on one side and city services on the other. A three million dollar gap is a big deal with all the different departments lining up for their share of the pie. The proposed deficit comes from a shortfall in the general fund with decreased franchise fees and utility taxes and the increasingly difficult prospect of paying for pension plans. Richard Barker, Jr./CFO, City of Pensacola "Revenue projections, at this point, are about a million down from last year 2013 which was adopted. And also the pensions you know we've been dealing with those and that additional cost is coming in this year." People living in the city have grown accustomed to a certain level of service but those services could be in jeopardy. By law the city must approve a balanced budget. That means tough decisions could be on the way before the 2014 budget is put to bed in September. Lee Hansen/Pensacola resident "I think we need to take a close look at the budget and see where we can make savings. And obviously we have to cover the things, police and fire, that need to be covered. But I think there are always places that you can save." The mayor's office will turn over their proposed budget for 2014 to the city council in June and the process continues from there until the budget is finalized.

Read More at: http://weartv.com/news/features/waste-watch/stories/projections-2014-show-city-pensacola-budget-shortfall-95.shtml

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I wonder of the Ball Park has anything to do with this?  Surely not. 5d4b8dd2d5

2seaoat

As usual scurrying away when a nuts and bolt factual statistic can answer the question. Simple answer.....what were the sales tax revenues for food and beverage in the city pre ballpark and post ballpark. You claim that the pie has gotten smaller. Easy to show me your proof.......no need to run away like you did on the attendance at the ballpark.....you probably had a future as a politician as often as you change the subject when confronted with a simple factual question.

I never stated an attendance figure.  But you know that.  Read Rick Os article.  He and the businesses owners downtown are making that assumption.

By Michael Lombardi, MBA for Profit Confidential

budget deficitI’ve been talking for some time about U.S. municipalities and their budget deficit problems. Just recently, I cited a Moody’s Investor Services study that highlighted how the number of bankruptcies has doubled in the last two years after remaining steady over the previous 30 years!

Unfortunately, the cracks are starting to widen with budget deficits.

Pensacola, Florida, is situated at the westernmost point in the Florida Panhandle. With it being the envy of many outside of the city because of its location, the roughly 55,000 residents would probably argue otherwise when discussing the municipality’s budget deficit and the payments on their municipal bonds.

The pension liabilities of Pensacola are mounting to the point where, this year, the property taxes that the city takes in are not enough to cover the payout of pensions. This is before all of the other expenses and services the city has to deal with in the budget deficit.

The budget deficit facing the city is enormous. The solutions being tabled are going to be painful if instituted, but necessary when one considers that the pension fund is deeply underfunded due to the market crash of 2008 and low interest rates, worsening the budget deficit.

The options the city is tabling include raising taxes, cutting pension benefits, and raising the retirement age to be eligible for benefits (the norm with most municipalities these days). Naturally, none of these are sitting well with the unions and Pensacola’s citizens—budget deficits and municipal bonds be damned.

2seaoat

I guess I will have to take the Time Friday to research the simple question.....not real high on my priorities. Probably a call over to city hall will get me the budget document.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum