Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A 9 volt battery can burn down your house.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bs

2seaoat

Bs
Ditto

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You guys are idiots I had one in my pocket once short out on some change and it burned my leg. You can start a camp fire with a 9 volt and steel wool...you are ignorant of just how much current and heat a 9 volt battery can generate..but i am not surprised.

2seaoat

I had one in my pocket once short out on some change and it burned my leg.

.....and you are calling us idiots.......

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:I had one in my pocket once short out on some change and it burned my leg.

.....and you are calling us idiots.......

No I used to be ignorant like you but I learn from mistakes and don't just BS everything like some drooling assholes.

2seaoat

We used to lick 9 volt batteries before eating popcorn.......the flavor is incredible after the charge cleanses the palate. You have one handy in your pocket......Jiffy pop is the best with a cleansed palate........and to think you have one handy in your pocket.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Here let me wipe some of your drool off your face.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote: You can start a camp fire with a 9 volt and steel wool.

I have often witnessed steel wool start to flame up when it comes in contact with a small electric current.  
In fact, being a technician you may have worked on electro-mechanical devices in the long ago past too,  teo,  and can picture this.  The old pinball machines have stepper units in them.  They consist of a copper wiper arm moving over copper rivets on a bakelite contact board.  The contact boards get gunked up and I have to routinely clean and polish them with fine (4 ought) steel wool.
If I forget and do it when the machine is still powered on,  just the lousy 6 volt circuit running through them can quickly catch the steel wool pad on fire.

It never occurred to me that the same low voltage battery and steel wool could be used to easily start a campfire.  When I go camping again I'm gonna carry them with me for just that.  That should impress the hell out of fellow campers.  Have you ever tried it?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote: You can start a camp fire with a 9 volt and steel wool.

I have often witnessed steel wool start to flame up when it comes in contact with a small electric current.  
In fact, being a technician you may have worked on electro-mechanical devices in the long ago past too,  teo,  and and can picture this.  The old pinball machines have stepper units in them.  They consist of a copper wiper arm moving over copper rivets on a bakelite contact board.  The contact boards get gunked up and I have to routinely clean and polish them with fine (4 ought) steel wool.
If I forget and do it when the machine is still powered on,  just the lousy 6 volt circuit running through them can quickly catch the steel wool pad on fire.

It never occurred to me that the same low voltage battery and steel wool could be used to easily start a campfire.  When I go camping again I'm gonna carry them with me for just that.  That should impress the hell out of fellow campers.  Have you ever tried it?

Yes but use the finest wool you can find the thicker stuff doesn't burn as well.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:We used to lick 9 volt batteries before eating popcorn..  

That's always been a good way to tell if a 9 volt battery is still good when you don't have a voltmeter close by.  When you touch both contacts to your tongue you can feel the intensity of the electric shock to gauge how much voltage it's still putting out.  The difference between a strong battery and a weak one is very noticeable.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Yes but use the finest wool you can find the thicker stuff doesn't burn as well.

I noticed that with the pinballs too. 4 ought steel wool can flame up quick. Whenever I only had coarser steel wool on hand it wasn't a problem. But anything coarser than 4 ought removes too much copper so I avoided that whenever possible.

2seaoat

The difference between a strong battery and a weak one is very noticeable.

yes it is.......and those weak ones which are tossed out.....they burn down upside down homes.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote: those weak ones which are tossed out.....they burn down upside down homes.

I just watched the video.  Did you watch it?  The dude burned up his house because he tossed out two batteries and the battery's terminals came in contact with each other and that produced heat which started the fire.

What could be wrong with his sharing what happened to him in hopes of preventing it from happening to other people?

I've never been the most safety concious person and I do negligent stuff all the time that could come back to bite me.  And it's not uncommon that it does.
I'm not proud of it or bragging about it,  I'm just sort of wired that way I guess.
But I try to improve on that.  I realized not long ago that I had a real fire safety problem at my place.  The three entrances have burglar doors on them and I keep them locked when I sleep at night.  They all have double deadbolts on them which require a key to unlock them from the inside.  And all the old windows are sealed with silicone (to make them airtight) and it would be a bitch to try to get one open.
It finally dawned on me that if a fire started at night I couldn't get out of the house with those locked burglar doors.  So now I make sure I have keys hanging right beside those doors which are easily accessible even if the lights go out.  
Now I'll remember seeing that video when I dispose of batteries because I have one helluva lot of stuff around here that uses batteries.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum