Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Some college athletes play like adults, read like 5th-graders

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The article says one UNC basketball player approached a counselor for assistance in learning to read better so he could read newspaper articles about himself.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

How can you get into college if you cannot read? How did you graduate from high school if you cannot read?

This is disturbing: "College textbooks are written at the ninth-grade level, so we are putting these elite athletes into classes where they can't understand the textbooks. Imagine yourself sitting in a class where nothing makes sense."

talknstang

QueenOfHearts wrote:How can you get into college if you cannot read?  How did you graduate from high school if you cannot read?

This is disturbing:  "College textbooks are written at the ninth-grade level, so we are putting these elite athletes into classes where they can't understand the textbooks. Imagine yourself sitting in a class where nothing makes sense."

You cheat your way through supposedly. There are probably pro athletes that aren't even smarter than a 5th grader. The NFL probably keeps those guys away from the podium after games

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

[quote="QueenOfHearts"]How can you get into college if you cannot read?  How did you graduate from high school if you cannot read?

This is disturbing:  "College textbooks are written at the ninth-grade level, so we are putting these elite athletes into classes where they can't understand the textbooks. Imagine yourself sitting in a class where nothing makes sense."[/quote]

Who said they are sitting in class?

Markle

Markle

Not just athletes in college.

I teach adults, at first (20+ years ago) I was almost stunned at the limited reading ability and vocabulary was of SOME college graduates.

don't forget, these are people you think its ok to make MILLIONS of dollars a year because they entertain you while those who have to study hard and invest in themselves get tossed under the bus for so called making too much money if they make $75,000. - $250,000. a year. or even a million a year.

if these people were not held to such a level by you and given excuses and such high pay for what they do, the ones who ended up doing it would also have a real education when thy graduated.

mine you now. Not all college football players are like that. I actually worked with one who ended up being a doctor.

http://www.seminoles.com/genrel/warren_drscott00.html

but I bet some people would bash him for making too much money as doctor now, when he could have stayed a football player and made millions..

think about that.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:Not just athletes in college.

I teach adults, at first (20+ years ago) I was almost stunned at the limited reading ability and vocabulary was of SOME college graduates.

They can't do basic math in their heads, either. The advent of the calcualtor meant kids didn't need to learn their times-table any more. My daughter has an MS in English and must think for a few seconds if you ask her what 7 x 6 is.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

I seriously doubt for one bit that any of my texts were written on 9th Grade level because too many of my undergrad classes at UWF were mixed with grad students.

talknstang

Markle wrote:Not just athletes in college.

So we are or were a teacher Markle? that is a good thing.....good for you! You are a smart man, although ignorant at times, i am sure you did well.

Contrary to popular beliefs, not everyone is  created equal.  Some people have more intelligence  than others. People have different skill sets.  What is complex to one person is simple for another.  
We have no trouble watching a pro golfer or Baseball player and realizing that we could never do what he or she does.  On the other hand we look at Doctors and Scientist  and think "I could do that if I really wanted to".  Maybe, but for the majority of us, it is doubtful.
I once  worked with some of the most brilliant minds in the United States. It was crushing to my ego that no matter how hard I studied or worked I would never be as smart or efficient as they were.  They were just smarter.
We have no problem recognizing our different physical abilities  but when it come to mental ability some how we think we are all equal.  IMHO  Not true.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Mr Ichi wrote:Contrary to popular beliefs, not everyone is  created equal.  Some people have more intelligence  than others. People have different skill sets.  What is complex to one person is simple for another.  
We have no trouble watching a pro golfer or Baseball player and realizing that we could never do what he or she does.  On the other hand we look at Doctors and Scientist  and think "I could do that if I really wanted to".  Maybe, but for the majority of us, it is doubtful.
I once  worked with some of the most brilliant minds in the United States. It was crushing to my ego that no matter how hard I studied or worked I would never be as smart or efficient as they were.  They were just smarter.
We have no problem recognizing our different physical abilities  but when it come to mental ability some how we think we are all equal.  IMHO  Not true.

cheers 

I think athletes in college should be salaried appropriate to revenue generated and that certain scholarships should stand in place to be used after their sports career if they choose. It's big biz today... it denies common sense to use antiquated standards.

Mr Ichi wrote:Contrary to popular beliefs, not everyone is  created equal.  Some people have more intelligence  than others. People have different skill sets.  What is complex to one person is simple for another.  

very good post. you have just explained the why of what I was talking about earlier. why they ok a value for the athlete and not the scholar. thanks

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum