Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gravitational Lens

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gravitational Lens Empty Gravitational Lens 1/7/2014, 11:16 pm

http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/astronomers-make-first-ever-gamma-ray-measurements-of-a-gravitational-lens/

2Gravitational Lens Empty Re: Gravitational Lens 1/7/2014, 11:23 pm

Help me with this.

"One light path is slightly longer than the other, so when we detect flares in one image we can try to catch them days later when they replay in the other image,”

So they are learning or have learned to bend the natural light in space to to help them see into the future basically, because its just that far away, its actually so far its n the future or is it the past.. hmmmm

3Gravitational Lens Empty Re: Gravitational Lens 1/7/2014, 11:33 pm

There are natural gravitational curvatures (einstein)... and they've speculated this was possible. That mirroring is cool tho.

It's amazing anything can escape a black holes gravity.

4Gravitational Lens Empty Re: Gravitational Lens 1/7/2014, 11:53 pm

PkrBum wrote:There are natural gravitational curvatures (einstein)... and they've speculated this was possible. That mirroring is cool tho.

It's amazing anything can escape a black holes gravity.

I can see it now. I wonder what they were thinking when they even postulated theory.

lets see if we can bend light so we can see inside the black hole and take pictures.

Bear with me. Ive read it twice now and Im trying to wrap my mind around it. So far this is whats coming up in how im understanding it which can be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off. lol

5Gravitational Lens Empty Re: Gravitational Lens 1/8/2014, 12:32 am

With any large lens you have a depth of field caused by the same source light traveling further from the edges of the lens than the light which passes straight through the center of the lens. In photography you can minimize this effect with a smaller  F stop utilizing less of the lens surface . This application uses the wide open lens  in a desirable way. They want the effect to allow them to see the event being observed at a later time. Think of it this way. The light coming from the sun takes 8 minutes to get here. If the sun were much larger like the lens effect they are describing then the light from the side of the sun would take longer to get to the observer than light coming from the outside center of the sun.

Gravitational Lens Dof_aperturediagram

Gravitational Lens Dof_lensdiagram

Depth of field expanded into this application would more correctly be called depth of time...

6Gravitational Lens Empty Re: Gravitational Lens 1/8/2014, 10:01 am

ForgetHell wrote:With any large lens you have a depth of field caused by the same source light traveling further from the edges of the lens than the light which passes straight through the center of the lens. In photography you can minimize this effect with a smaller  F stop utilizing less of the lens surface . This application uses the wide open lens  in a desirable way. They want the effect to allow them to see the event being observed at a later time. Think of it this way. The light coming from the sun takes 8 minutes to get here. If the sun were much larger like the lens effect they are describing then the light from the side of the sun would take longer to get to the observer than light coming from the outside center of the sun.

Gravitational Lens Dof_aperturediagram

Gravitational Lens Dof_lensdiagram

Depth of field expanded into this application would more correctly be called depth of time...

ah ha... my speculation was accurate however you put it so much more intelligible.

7Gravitational Lens Empty Re: Gravitational Lens 1/8/2014, 10:05 am

Sry... I thght you were asking about the curvature in space the creates the lens effect.

8Gravitational Lens Empty Re: Gravitational Lens 1/8/2014, 7:49 pm

PkrBum wrote:Sry... I thght you were asking about the curvature in space the creates the lens effect.

actually I was just speculating as to the why portion of it all. theres always those whys when ever we see a find. you know that though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]