Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you have a New Years Tradition?

+3
QueenOfHearts
TEOTWAWKI
RottiesRule
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

RottiesRule

I went shopping today for New Years dinner and wondered what other people eat on New Years.
My family has always had Ham, Braised Cabbage w/onions, Black-eyed Peas or Hoppin John, Cornbread and Apple Dumplings.
Yes, I'm a southern girl.
Would you share your Tradition?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I get up all excited and throw away my old state farm calender then eat breakfast...left over pizza, humus whatever isn't spoiled in the fridge.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

January 1st is the day I begin breaking all the resolutions I made the last two weeks of December.  Very Happy 

No traditional meal. I don't like black-eyed peas, so don't even do that tradition. Do you put a dime in your pot of peas?

Braised cabbage and onions sounds yummy though. I think I may try that.

RottiesRule

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I get up all excited and throw away my old state farm calender then eat breakfast...left over pizza, humus whatever isn't spoiled in the fridge.

LOL Nothing wrong with left over pizza.

RottiesRule

QueenOfHearts wrote:January 1st is the day I begin breaking all the resolutions I made the last two weeks of December.  Very Happy 

No traditional meal.  I don't like black-eyed peas, so don't even do that tradition.  Do you put a dime in your pot of peas?

Braised cabbage and onions sounds yummy though.  I think I may try that.

No, I've heard many southerners do that though. My Great Grandmother would take fresh Soda Bread and hit all the walls and doors. She said this would banish the bad spirits. I believe it was an Irish tradition.
I'm not a fan of Black-eyed peas either, but they will be eaten on the 1st.
(I do love ButterBeans though.)

superstitions: don't wash laundry on news years day. you will wash someone out of your family and make sure your house is clean or you will struggle all year.

we will be having ( already bought ) ham, black eye peas and tunip greens, corn bread. The ham is the other half of the ham from Christmas which I froze to cook in the beans and greens. must be frugal and not wasteful. the beans and greens as you must know because your a southern girl like me is or hopes of financial prosperity. beans=pennies greens = green backs

I have decided I am adding a new tradition this year. I will be having everyone in my family eat 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight, with the toast of Champaign. This is a Cuban tradition and I have a friend who does this and I like it.

HNY

cool1

cool1

just another day  Laughing 

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

No real traditions. Usually all my children get together on New Year's Eve, either the whole evening or just meeting up before midnight.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Nothing special, just another day to watch college football as it winds down until later in the year. No special meals, no black eyed peas etc., etc.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

My new years wish is that Hillary Clinton pisses off the CIA.

They say that whatever your day is like on the first, your whole year will be like that.  So I try to ensure that I have housework all done, bills all paid, the day off work, and no stress.

No traditional meal as we usually have the grandchildren spend the night. Whatever they want is what we eat.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I don't have any traditions. But for the first time ever I have a New Years resolution.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'll have to admit though that keeping this resolution is a long shot.  I've resolved to do this several times before (not New Year) and I've always backslid afterwards.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I have a resolution to be a muscled up avatar like your old one...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I have a resolution to be a muscled up avatar like your old one...

Trust me on this.  If that old fart in the old avatar went up against the dude in this avatar,  the old fart would be crying uncle in about 10 seconds.

Check this out.  Schultz reminds me of Tex Cobb in Raising Arizona.  And son,  I aint messin with Tex Cobb.   Schultz and Cobb both have that demonic look in their eyes.  Like if you look at em funny that could trigger mass mayhem. lol

Do you have a New Years Tradition? Raisingarizona-2

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My cuz and I were debating just the other day about it.  If we were in a bar and Schultz walked in what would we do.  
Would we take off for the door as fast as we could?
Or would we hide in the corner for a chance to witness what ensues?
Cuz says we would need to get the hell out of there and not worry about any of that.  lol

Last edited by Bob on 12/29/2013, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Loved that movie...ma momma didn't love me tattoo and when he threw the hand grenade at the bunny....LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum