Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Might be time for some of us Forum members to be looking for a good lawyer LOL

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

State Sen. David Simmons has had it with the growing cases of bullying by children and adults.

That’s why on Wednesday he filed a bill – Senate Bill 548 – to strengthen the state’s bullying law and make bullying a first-degree misdemeanor. In a phone interview Thursday, the Republican from Altamonte Springs, said it’s time to bring the laws about bullying into tune with the growing impact of social media. In the past, he has worked to address stalking as a crime.

He said bullying would involve “a person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly harasses or cyberbullies another.” Repeat offenders would face a felony.

If approved during the 2014 legislative session, it also would address the lack of civility online. Far too many people with Internet access believe they can write and do anything with no consequence or accountability.

“They don’t have to face the person,” he said of online bullies, adding the attacks can become increasingly abusive and be played out in front of large audiences. “They can destroy a person’s life. There are things that can be said that can never be taken back.”

We support the bill because it will address the 21st century problem of cyberbullying and holding people responsible for hateful and hurtful words. It also gets our support because Simmons understands the difference between legitimate disagreement and the abuse of free speech.

Under the bill, the term excludes constitutionally protected activities such as picketing and other organized protests.

“We’re not talking about freedom of speech,” he said. We all know what bullying is: The relentless abuse of another person.”

Simmons also said what many lament: Technology has eclipsed what was once a civilized society.

“It’s a different world today than it was 40 years ago,” he said.

He also addressed those who want to default to schools to teach children right from wrong. “It’s going to take more than education. It’s going to take consequences.”

He said there have to be limits to how people interact online, despite those who want to hide behind free speech. Civilizations have always had limits, he pointed out.

“What has happend to happened to civility?” he asked. “It’s been lost on the Internet.”

Simmons is also concerned about a society that tolerates bullying because it’s online and not a “real” or “true” threat.

“It’s incredible the culture we are teaching our children,” Simmons said. “Bullying needs to be made a crime

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Amen!!!!!!!!!

This will be interesting.  Very Happy 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Chrissy wrote:This will be interesting.  Very Happy 

That was my first thought too. It's a little scary (for you and me both) that you and I had the same reaction to this. lol

I hate bullying. But I also hate censorship. And both about equally. So I'm torn.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I think more about the pre-teens and teens that are bullied on line by peers, on open social networks.

Do you all think that what we do on here is considered "Bullying"? If it ain't it is damn sure close.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

We bring on this desire to regulate us because sometimes some of us are so fucking cruel and stupid and thoughtless to each other and so intolerant of each other.  I've done it myself so I'm not trying to be holy.

But the problem is always deciding what goes over the line and who decides when it does.  And that always seems to end with injustice.

Mr Ichi wrote:Do you all think that what we do on here is considered "Bullying"? If it ain't it is damn sure close.

yes

Might be time for some of us Forum members to be looking for a good lawyer LOL 9k=

Considering the reactions I get to some of my simple questions and insights this could prove extremely interesting.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJNYYkkhzc

Very Happy 

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Mr Ichi wrote:Do you all think that what we do on here is considered "Bullying"? If it ain't it is damn sure close.

Absolutely....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But how do you regulate it with laws.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

3 affirmatives.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

What if you put a law on the books that a court interprets as "bullying" when all it is is telling the truth about some dirtbag politician or other authority who needs to be called out?

Those kinds of laws are what help Kim Jung Un be able to exist. And why people smarter than us wanted a First Amendment.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:But how do you regulate it with laws.

Well...when you continually post another person's name, place of employment, info regarding their family members .... it would be considered an invasion of privacy, especially if you have never used your real name on any forum open to the public.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:

Well...when you continually post another person's name, place of employment, info regarding their family members .... it would be considered an invasion of privacy, especially if you have never used your real name on any forum open to the public.

And then we have the case of where the local newspaper did that with the school board member who was posting anonymously.
And now you're talking about outlawing what the newspaper did (when it revealed it).
There are going to be some who have no problem with that. But then again there are all those who did have a problem with it when it happened.
So who should prevail?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

And then we have the case of where the local newspaper did that with the school board member who was posting anonymously.
And now you're talking about outlawing what the newspaper did (when it revealed it).
There are going to be some who have no problem with that.  But then again there are all those who did have a problem with it when it happened.
So who should prevail?

I imagine it is different for a public person rather than a private citizen. If the school board person could have sued...I suspect he would have. Some cases would be considered frivolous and vindictive....those would be tossed out in a heartbeat with a good attorney.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I've run out of replies, Joani. I'm old and wore out and need to stop overthinking this for now. lol

I would hate to go to jail for some bull shit such as "Cyber Bullying".  Now if I was caught in a prostitute sting  or big time embezzlement that would be OK.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:I've run out of replies,  Joani.  I'm old and wore out and need to stop overthinking this for now.    lol

I think the bullying has more to do with online bullying of kids. Too many sad stories follow. If you dish out as an adult....you get your just do. It's not the same with kids.

Very Very True. That is why I think this law might be a little over reaching for Adults,

Mr Ichi wrote:Very Very True.  That is why I think this law might be a little over reaching for Adults,

I agree. cyber stalking should be the min start point for adults on line. not bully. There is a difference.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:What if you put a law on the books that a court interprets as "bullying" when all it is is telling the truth about some dirtbag politician or other authority who needs to be called out?

Those kinds of laws are what help Kim Jung Un be able to exist.  And why people smarter than us wanted a First Amendment.

More importantly, the Second Amendment, without which the First would be dead.

Joanimaroni wrote:

Exactly

This law is not going to pass for a lot of reasons but when you threaten someone w/ bodily harm and stalk them then it is a crime but we already have laws that protect that. Calling someone names is not going to be a crime.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Never does a man portray his own character more
vividly than in his manner of portraying another's.
--Jean Paul Richter (1763—1825)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum