Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I am getting a drone 6 blade copter with camera mount.

+3
dumpcare
no stress
2seaoat
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

My daughter is doing Elf on the shelf with the grandkids.......I think I want to get one of those high end outdoor bigger copters and attach a small battery and white sheet and hoover outside her window telling her with a megaphone that santa is watching.......but then my daughter would simply shoot me in the driveway.....what a waste of a drone.

No, this summer I am going to be doing some photography from a drone helicopter to put together a promotion. They are amazing and some of the elevation they are capable of achieving allow some really cool views of your property......and that hot flight attendant a few doors down.......hell and people think the President is looking at the bloody videos of terroist when Michelle and the girls go to bed........nosireeee........belly dancers.

oh please, everybody knows Obama is checking out his body guards.

those copters are cool though. you can review many of them on youtube btw

2seaoat

I have to find an open field with no trees next spring and train.  I am not mounting a damn camera on it until I am trained.  They have realtors who are using drones on their listing giving stunning views of property.  You can get a top notch quality package for about $400 bucks, and I could see me crashing it into a tree thirty seconds into my training.

I already have some cool pranks planned.   I am going get some of my golf buddies to go along and coax one of my friends into playing one of the other players, and then have him crank his ball deep and out of bounds, and then on blind holes have his markings on the same numbered balls dropped in front of the green on about four holes.....They say additional remote signals can interfere with the flight, but I will get something out of frequency to control the drops.......I am a sick puppy when it comes to practical jokes.

no stress

no stress

You don't have to spend that kind of money oats. go get a parkzone supercub and just rubber band your cell phone to the belly of it. Fly it into the wind and start throttling back. I have actually flown mine backwards in a good headwind. The fun part is when you get it mastered enough to chase buzzards around your property.

dumpcare

Now that's one hell of an idea for a peeping tom.lol! lol! lol! 

no stress

no stress

If you go helo be damned careful in pretty much any wind. I've got 2 gas and 4 electric scale RC aircraft and 2 electric helos that I fly on my property.....I wont even break the helos out if there is more than 5 knts blowing. Helos are a tricky critter to master in calm conditions

2seaoat

I have heard the multi rotor helicopter give better stability, but when I was a kid I remember a six foot model plane which went beyond the controller and crashed into a giant tree. Everybody in the neighborhood thought a small private plane had crashed.......these guys in a convertible show up and they had been driving along controlling this big model plane in the 1950s from a damn car.

I am pumped up. I flew model planes as a kid, but these camera mounted helicopters are great.....I cannot wait to a perfectly still day when I am trained. I will try the camera on my cell phone, but I have a note 2 which is a big cell phone.....I have an inexpensive lightweight video camera which I picked up from wal mart but it has limited disk space. I can see me trying to explain how the gorilla glass got shattered when I make an insurance claim.....yea....I dropped from a helicopter.

I used to be a big model air plane enthusiast when I was a kid.  That is where I learned to read prints and build thing.  The guy next door  was a big player in the Model air plane scene in the 50s and he let me use his shop.  Gliders, Control line, free flight(1/2As A,s and the big boys B and C class.  Have spent many a hour coving wings and such with paper and silk(when i could afford it) and the "doping" them to get the coverings tight.  I built a hand launch glider from memory for my grand son a few years ago.  We had a good time playing with it at the park.
Looking back I missed out on a chance to make a jillion dollars but I never put the fact together until just lately.
Control line speed events were pretty popular and my neighbour race a couple of different classes.  He used to use the little co2 type cylinders to make the old McCoys engines scream.  But they were not CO2 they were Nitrous Oxide used in drink machines.  Damn it!!  I had the answer back in the 50s if I could have applied the knowledge to autos I would have been 20 years ahead of the curve.  But Alas I did not connect the two.
Spending weeks building a Class B free-flight model the going out to site 7A and letting it go was a heart stopper. We only had crude de-termizers back in those days and if it failed and the Plane  got hooked up in a good thermal, it was Bye Bye air plane.  Sometime we tried to chase them down, but usually with out much success.  Good topic.
Engines only run 15 to 30 seconds, your try to get it fly in a climbing circle the glide in the same path and hope to pick up a thermal and then sweat bullets your de thermelizer works. LOL  R/C just about end all of this type of Modelling Notice the rubber powered models in the first video. They were way cool. Hard to build and fly..

Hope someone shoots down that noisy contraption,

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think Jeff Bezos is a business genius. But I also believe his plan to start delivering amazon packages with those drones is goofy and insane. As soon as those things started dropping packages on peoples' heads, Fred Levin will own amazon.

Bob wrote:I think Jeff Bezos is a business genius. But I also believe his plan to start delivering amazon packages with those drones is goofy and insane.  As soon as those things started dropping packages on peoples' heads,  Fred Levin will own amazon.
Christmas buying season. Make a wild futuristic comment and every one is talking about Amazon. Business genius is a valid statement..

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mr Ichi wrote:
Christmas buying season.  Make a wild futuristic comment and every one is talking about Amazon.    Business genius is a valid statement..
Sounds like he's learned a thing or two from Donald Trump. lol

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Sal wrote:
Hilarious, thanks

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I have to find an open field with no trees next spring and train.  I am not mounting a damn camera on it until I am trained.  They have realtors who are using drones on their listing giving stunning views of property.  You can get a top notch quality package for about $400 bucks, and I could see me crashing it into a tree thirty seconds into my training.

I already have some cool pranks planned.   I am going get some of my golf buddies to go along and coax one of my friends into playing one of the other players, and then have him crank his ball deep and out of bounds, and then on blind holes have his markings on the same numbered balls dropped in front of the green on about four holes.....They say additional remote signals can interfere with the flight, but I will get something out of frequency to control the drops.......I am a sick puppy when it comes to practical jokes.
Buy a cheap one and gain some experience before you buy the expensive one.

I'm sure there is a RC club in your area who would help train you too.  I've seen some that have dual controllers so the instructor can take over if you get in some trouble.

2seaoat

Buy a cheap one and gain some experience before you buy the expensive one.

I'm sure there is a RC club in your area who would help train you too. I've seen some that have dual controllers so the instructor can take over if you get in some trouble.

I think you are right. The Park District in a neighboring community has set aside 20 acres for model plane enthusiast, and I think I will head over there with a smaller helicopter and talk to some of the people who may share their wisdom. I think I am going to get some incredible photos, and if I can get around the wind stability thing, It should be fun.

Gunz....what would you recommend for a starter helicopter which has the same controllers as the larger outdoor helicopters?

You might try a computer Model flight simulator. Just one of many

http://www.microflight.com/FMS-Flight-Simulator

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Looks like Alex Jones' take on it is exactly what Mr. Ichi believes. lol

2seaoat

You might try a computer Model flight simulator. Just one of many

I looked at the link but did not see anything on helicopters. I am going to run over to an electronics store and pick up a cheap indoor helicopter in a few minutes and play with it in the office......hopefully bringing nobody into the danger zone.

2seaoat wrote:You might try a computer Model flight simulator. Just one of many

I looked at the link but did not see anything on helicopters.  I am going to run over to an electronics store and pick up a cheap indoor helicopter in a few minutes and play with it in the office......hopefully bringing nobody into the danger zone.
Might not be a good site. I could not get it run but there were other planes in the drop down menu. I used to have one that worked good. I will try to find it

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Buy a cheap one and gain some experience before you buy the expensive one.

I'm sure there is a RC club in your area who would help train you too.  I've seen some that have dual controllers so the instructor can take over if you get in some trouble.

I think you are right.  The Park District in a neighboring community has set aside 20 acres for model plane enthusiast, and I think I will head over there with a smaller helicopter and talk to some of the people who may share their wisdom.  I think I am going to get some incredible photos, and if I can get around the wind stability thing, It should be fun.

Gunz....what would you recommend for a starter helicopter which has the same controllers as the larger outdoor helicopters?
The "Go Pro" camera was invented, designed and built just for such applications.  I heard it is about $300.00.  They had a segment on 60 Minutes about it a few weeks back.  An avid surfer wanted to take movies of the view he had from inside the curl of a wave.  He came up with one and now he's a billionaire and they're still finding uses for the camera. 

Some research projects are using it off the shelf instead of designing their own cameras.

The inventor said he has been astounded by some of the pictures taken by total amateurs.  A couple of guys got together and bought a weather balloon and attached the camera.  It went up so high it got photos of the curvature of the earth.

Segment on 60 Minutes:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wboVor218ds

You might also consider going out to the RC site a few times and see who flies helicopters and get their advice.  I don't believe in repeating a mistake made by others if at all possible.

Last edited by Markle on 12/4/2013, 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

I have been reading some of the comments and features on the more advanced multi rotor outdoor helicopters, and the GPS feature which allows the helicopter to return to launch site is a huge requirement in my use of the same:

If you don't do anything but listen to me on this one you will insure yourself no headaches. Go to a large field and do a test flight of the Phantom and shut the control off. If it doesn't return to home within 20 seconds Turn the control back on and fly it back and then get with the Seller or DJI-Innovations and find out why. Mine flew fine but never worked on RETURN TO HOME and I no longer have it. If you don't want to be out a 1000 bux for your GOPRO and PHANTOM heed my words.I spent 7 hours looking in the marsh near my house and never found it.

This is my biggest concern especially if I start getting some incredible nature photos I will be going into the wild areas and do not want to lose the signal and spend a week looking for the crash site......I am too weak to do that anymore. I like the idea if something goes wrong......it simply comes home.

Markle

Markle

Go Pro web site with cameras and prices.

http://gopro.com/cameras

no stress

no stress

The Blade CX by E-Flite is a very good starter bird. Has cyclic and anti-torque {rudder} controls and separate throttle. Also has excellent trim out features.

2seaoat

I am going to have to travel a bit to find the store which carries the blade. I will do that this weekend. I went to best buy and the go pro white camera is 199 on sale, but I talked to somebody at the bank this morning and he is a kayak sony camera fanatic which he helmet mounts. The Sony was only 169 and had all kinds of features and he was swearing by it as being as good or better than the go pro.

The Best buy copter seemed too much like a cheap toy for my comfort at 99 bucks, and the target copter was 69 bucks, but again they do not seem to be what I am after, even for training purposes. I think the hobby shop which carries Gunz's recommendation is a better place to start, but I am in cold weather now, and may have to wait to the spring.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum