Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DOD seeks plan to shut all US commissaries

+2
gulfbeachbandit
Nekochan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20131121/BENEFITS07/311210046/DoD-seeks-plan-shut-all-U-S-commissaries

Defense officials have reportedly asked the Defense Commissary Agency to develop a plan to close all U.S. commissaries — about three-fourths of its stores, according to a resale community source familiar with details of a meeting with representatives of the Joint Staff and Pentagon comptroller’s office.
The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the meeting was held within the last few weeks and was part of preparations for the fiscal 2015 DoD budget request that is due out on February.
That DeCA has been asked to prepare such a draft plan does not mean commissaries would close anytime soon. Even if such a plan was included in the defense budget request for fiscal 2015 — almost a year away — it would have to be approved by Congress, where many lawmakers would oppose it.....

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Won't happen. How about if they shut down all welfare, food stamp, and section 8 offices instead. I'd vote for that.
That'll save a ton of money.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

This has been in the news the last couple of days or so. If they keep them open, it is likely that there will be pretty stiff surcharge hikes.

The surcharge is like paying "sales tax" on your entire purchase, and can add-up, especially if you buy $150 or $200 worth of stuff at a whack.

In Pensacola, this would likely affect retirees more than it would active-duty.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

If it puts good honest people out of work and on the gubment teet, the libs will be happy.

Nekochan wrote:http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20131121/BENEFITS07/311210046/DoD-seeks-plan-shut-all-U-S-commissaries

Defense officials have reportedly asked the Defense Commissary Agency to develop a plan to close all U.S. commissaries — about three-fourths of its stores, according to a resale community source familiar with details of a meeting with representatives of the Joint Staff and Pentagon comptroller’s office.
The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the meeting was held within the last few weeks and was part of preparations for the fiscal 2015 DoD budget request that is due out on February.
That DeCA has been asked to prepare such a draft plan does not mean commissaries would close anytime soon. Even if such a plan was included in the defense budget request for fiscal 2015 — almost a year away — it would have to be approved by Congress, where many lawmakers would oppose it.....
WOW! add this to the post the ichi made about them closing the ER and ICU and that's pretty harsh.

What people don't realize is that many of those positions at a commissary are federal employees. Their wages are higher than the norm plus they have access to the FEHBP and other benefits.

What my husband always heard when he was in the Navy was "if the Navy wanted you to have a family, they would have issued you one." I think they are now getting much more serious about that. Single active duty military members don't necessarily need a commissary, not any more than they need housing outside of the barracks. Same goes for the hospitals and clinics. They are staffed based on the number of active duty military. Their function is to provide health care for service members. Retirees and dependents, we had the luxury of commissaries, base exchanges, base housing, free health care at military facilities, for many, many years. I think those days are just coming to a close.

Nekochan

Nekochan

The only thing that will save the commissaries are grumpy old retirees...who vote!

It really is a shame that they are going this route, but like I posted the other day about Tricare--everything is going to change in the coming years and nothing in the military is sacred.   

I am afraid Birdy is right.

Back in my day there was a lot of resentment in the Army about "Brown Baggers" , those that live in base housing or in separate quarters down town.  I belong to another Veterans group and we were dissuading that we never used the commissary.  I think many of us single troops  only used the commissary one or two times in our enlistments.
I can understand the commissary system when troops only made 70 to a 100 dollars a month but those days are gone. I was a E5 when I left the military and still made less than 4,000 dollars a YEAR. My counter part to day makes close to 35,000 a year. To some people it seems unfair for the government to be in competition with local bushiness.  I am talking about  commissary's in the U.S, over seas is a different story.

1966 Pay Grade Years of Service
Less than 2 Over 2 Over 3 Over 4 Over 6
E-7 269.40 322.80 334.80 346.50 358.20
E-6 232.20 281.70 293.40 305.40 317.40
E-5 200.40 246.90 258.60 270.00 287.70
E-4 168.60 211.50 222.90 240.60 252.60
E-3 121.80 170.10 182.10 193.80 193.80
E-2 100.00 141.00 141.00 141.00 141.00
E-1 96.90 129.00 129.00 129.00 129.00
E-1 with less than 4 months of service

2013 Pay Grade Years of Service
Less than 2 Over 2 Over 3 Over 4 Over 6
E-7 2725 2974 3088 3239 3357
E-6 2357 2594 2708 2819 2935
E-5 2159 2304 2416 2530 2707
E-4 1980 2081 2194 2305 2403
E-3 1787 1900 2015 2015 2015
E-2 1700 1700 1700 1700 1700
E-1 1516 1516 1516 1516 1516
E-1 with less than
4 months of service 1403

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

It was announced on the Channel 3 News last night that the ICU and ER at Naval Hospital is in fact closing.

http://www.weartv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/new-developments-naval-hospital-pensacola-cutbacks-38673.shtml

As for the commissaries, I'm really indifferent about that. We have not shopped the commissary in quite some time. My wife and I have found other outlets for groceries that are cheaper than the commissary and the product quality is as good if not better. Since Food World's have closed most were converted to Greer's and we have been shopping there almost exclusively since they opened. So closing of the commissary would not be a big deal for me.

Sal

Sal

Ghost Rider wrote:It was announced on the Channel 3 News last night that the ICU and ER at Naval Hospital is in fact closing.

http://www.weartv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/new-developments-naval-hospital-pensacola-cutbacks-38673.shtml

As for the commissaries, I'm really indifferent about that. We have not shopped the commissary in quite some time. My wife and I have found other outlets for groceries that are cheaper than the commissary and the product quality is as good if not better. Since Food World's have closed most were converted to Greer's and we have been shopping there almost exclusively since they opened. So closing of the commissary would not be a big deal for me.
How're you feeling, Ghost?

Did you escape from that damn hospital yet?

2seaoat

There are going to be across the board cuts in defense. It is inevitable.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Sal wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:It was announced on the Channel 3 News last night that the ICU and ER at Naval Hospital is in fact closing.

How're you feeling, Ghost?

Did you escape from that damn hospital yet?
Yes Sal, I was released from the prison yesterday. Thanks for asking. In total I had 4 units of blood transfused. I have to go back every week for CBC's and then in about 3 weeks I will have to go through another endo to burn some more of the capillaries. The endo doctor said that in order to obliterate them all would take about 3 sessions.

Other than that, I am feeling pretty good and resting comfortably at home.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Glad you're doing well, Ghost. 

I think doubling the commissary surcharge will almost make it not worth going for a lot of people.

I don't go to the commissary here often, even though some things are a lot cheaper than in the grocery stores.  Other grocery stores are just more convenient for me than the commissary.  But when we lived up in the Northwest, the local Safeway was so, so much more expensive than the commissary, that I shopped at the commissary on a regular basis. Also, the commissary was very near our house.  I think, depending on the location, the commissary can be a very valuable benefit for military families.   I would hate to see them done away with.

Sal

Sal

Ghost Rider wrote:
Yes Sal, I was released from the prison yesterday. Thanks for asking. In total I had 4 units of blood transfused. I have to go back every week for CBC's and then in about 3 weeks I will have to go through another endo to burn some more of the capillaries. The endo doctor said that in order to obliterate them all would take about 3 sessions.

Other than that, I am feeling pretty good and resting comfortably at home.
Sounds like a real ordeal. 

I'm glad to hear you're home. 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum