Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

today is Halloween --Happy Halloween Everybody

+2
Joanimaroni
cool1
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

cool1

cool1

good now I can remove my ugly face after today --maybe I can find something for Thanksgiving.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

For years I have hosted the Halloween festivites for 25-30 people. Getting the kids dressed, dinner, and manning the fort while the younger adults take the kids trick or treating.

My daughter is hosting this year. I hope the bad weather holds off. The 4 babies, 11 to 14 months, will be the Ninja Turtles....excited to see them all decked out.

2seaoat

Grandparents and halloween........it does not get better.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Grandparents and halloween........it does not get better.
I love the excitement of the little ones.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I served hot dog worms and green mac and cheese....

today is Halloween --Happy Halloween Everybody Hot-do10

Nekochan

Nekochan

Happy Halloween!
This is the first Halloween back here in our neighborhood, after 10 years being away.  We used to have lots of kids come by our house here.   I'm not sure how many trick or treaters we'll have tonight, as the neighborhood is aging.   But I have candy ready for those who show up. clown

My wife Donna was from Rural Misssisippi and they did not Trick or Treat in her area. So it was all new to her when she moved here to Pensacola. I love Halloween. I like the trick or treat part the best..For many years our street was one of the best for people to use. It is almost a mile long and almost every body participated in it. The first year Donna was here she was amazed but quickly got in to the spirit of the holiday.
I have a bean bag toss game, witches face with hole for the eyes and mouth, that I built and I set it up in the drive way and let the goblins toss the bags to "Win" candy. It goes over pretty big and it is fun for all. Donna used to have a Black witch's out fit and sit on the Porch under a blue spot light stirring a pot of smoking brew(dry ice and water) You have to be careful because it is very easy to scare children and to me that is no fun.
Thanks for the thread....

cheers cheers cheers cheers 
Joanimaroni wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Grandparents and halloween........it does not get better.
I love the excitement of the little ones.  

Nekochan

Nekochan

Mr Ichi wrote:My wife Donna was from Rural Misssisippi and they did not Trick or Treat in her area.  So it was all new to her when she moved here to Pensacola.  I love Halloween.  I like the trick or treat part the best..For many years our street was one of the best for people to use.  It is almost a mile long and almost every body participated in it.  The first year Donna was here she was amazed but  quickly got in to the spirit of the holiday.  
I have a bean bag toss game, witches face with hole for the eyes and mouth, that I built and I set it up in the drive way and let the goblins toss the bags to "Win" candy.  It goes over pretty big and it is fun for all.  Donna used to have a Black witch's out fit and sit on the Porch under a blue spot light stirring a pot of smoking brew(dry ice and water)  You have to be careful because it is very easy to scare children and to me that is no fun.  
We had trick or treating in Japan....we'd invite Japanese kids over to the base to go around the neighborhoods.  Loads of fun!  The Japanese kids are SOOOO cute!  I'd have to buy 10+ bags of candy for Halloween there--we had hundreds of kids come by our house.   I miss that.

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

Joanimaroni wrote:
I served hot dog worms and green mac and cheese....

today is Halloween --Happy Halloween Everybody Hot-do10
The Impette and I are supposed to be making all kinds of stuff for supper tonight. Eyeballs, fingers, I think brains... I'll have to ask her about worms. Oh, the things we do for our little Impress.

Nekochan

Nekochan

What costume will your little Impress wear tonight?

The History of Trick Or Treating Is Weirder Than You Thought
It’s almost that time of year when underaged kids get into costume and traipse around the neighborhood ringing doorbells and begging for treats. When you think about it, trick or treating is kind of a weird thing. Where did it come from anyway?

Today I Found Out discovered that the practice began with the Celtic tradition of celebrating the end of the year by dressing up as evil spirits. The Celts believed that, as we moved from one year to the next, the dead and the living would overlap, and demons would roam the earth again. So dressing up as demons was a defense mechanism. If you encountered a real demon roaming the Earth, they would think you were one of them.

Fast forward to when the Catholic Church was stealing everybody’s holidays and trying to convert them. They turned the demon dress-up party into “All Hallows Eve,” “All Soul’s Day,” and “All Saints Day” and had people dress up as saints, angels and still a few demons. Today I Found Out writes:

As for the trick or treating, or “guising” (from “disguising”), traditions, beginning in the Middle-Ages, children and sometimes poor adults would dress up in the aforementioned costumes and go around door to door during Hallowmas begging for food or money in exchange for songs and prayers, often said on behalf of the dead. This was called “souling” and the children were called “soulers”.

You might think that this practice then simply migrated along with Europeans to the United States. But trick or treating didn’t re-emerge until the 1920s and 1930s. It paused for a bit during World War II because of sugar rations, and it’s now back in full force.

The term “trick or treat” dates back to 1927. Today I Found Out explains:

The earliest known reference to “trick or treat”, printed in the November 4, 1927 edition of the Blackie, Alberta Canada Herald, talks of this,

Hallowe’en provided an opportunity for real strenuous fun. No real damage was done except to the temper of some who had to hunt for wagon wheels, gates, wagons, barrels, etc., much of which decorated the front street. The youthful tormentors were at back door and front demanding edible plunder by the word “trick or treat” to which the inmates gladly responded and sent the robbers away rejoicing.

The British hate Halloween, apparently. In 2006, a survey found that over half of British homeowners turn off their lights and pretend not to be home on Halloween. Yet another reason by the United States is happy to be free from British rule. No funs.

More from Smithsonian.com:

Wednesday Roundup: Phantoms, Costumes and Halloween Galore
Halloween Costume Ideas from the Collections

Read more: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2012/10/the-history-of-trick-or-treating-is-weirder-than-you-thought/#ixzz2jJ1CyGj7
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Mr Ichi wrote:My wife Donna was from Rural Misssisippi and they did not Trick or Treat in her area.  So it was all new to her when she moved here to Pensacola.  I love Halloween.  I like the trick or treat part the best..For many years our street was one of the best for people to use.  It is almost a mile long and almost every body participated in it.  The first year Donna was here she was amazed but  quickly got in to the spirit of the holiday.  
I have a bean bag toss game, witches face with hole for the eyes and mouth, that I built and I set it up in the drive way and let the goblins toss the bags to "Win" candy.  It goes over pretty big and it is fun for all.  Donna used to have a Black witch's out fit and sit on the Porch under a blue spot light stirring a pot of smoking brew(dry ice and water)  You have to be careful because it is very easy to scare children and to me that is no fun.  
Awesome!

2seaoat

I made a terrible mistake one year. I took my glass out of a full length storm door. I turned on the porch light and had this realistic gorilla suit including excellent hands made from gloves and the most scary mask which was realistic. I hid in the house and turned all the lights in the house off, and then would bring the candy to the trick or treaters walking through the storm door instead of opening the door. The first and last time I did this without the lights on resulted in adults and children screaming and jumping three fee off my porch into the flowers......no injuries but it was not funny.....they were terrorized, and somebody could have got hurt.....there was this little boy they called T, and I understand that he still sleeps with a night light because of this experience and the boogey men in his closet.

I wore the costume to a pumpkin festival and I had grown adults let out screams when they turned to find me standing next to them looking at the pumpkins. The kids loved the costume and called it "scarey" and always wanted me to put it on......the first time I scared the crap out of the dog.......but after that the dog and kids loved the outfit and knew it was halloween.

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

Nekochan wrote:What costume will your little Impress wear tonight?
I believe she will be cat woman tonight. The Impette and I will be making our ghoulish treats whilst she is out trick-or-treating with her friend. I think it's supposed to be a surprise for her when she gets back.

Nekochan

Nekochan

ImpishScoundrel wrote:
Nekochan wrote:What costume will your little Impress wear tonight?
I believe she will be cat woman tonight.  The Impette and I will be making our ghoulish treats whilst she is out trick-or-treating with her friend.  I think it's supposed to be a surprise for her when she gets back.
cat cat cat cat

happy samhain all....

I ended up with a Scooby doo and a baby leopard.... Ill post a pic when I get a chance. they are so cute.

Nekochan

Nekochan

We had about 50 kids come by the house.  Hubby, in charge of the candy bowl, enjoyed greeting the kids.  It was a beautiful night..no rain like much of the Southeast.

Nekochan wrote:We had about 50 kids come by the house.  Hubby, in charge of the candy bowl, enjoyed greeting the kids.  It was a beautiful night..no rain like much of the Southeast.
we only had about 12 or 13. This is not a big holiday in my neighborhood.

Im done now. Im on front porch. Officially calling it OVER. 9pm here

Nekochan

Nekochan

Chrissy wrote:
Nekochan wrote:We had about 50 kids come by the house.  Hubby, in charge of the candy bowl, enjoyed greeting the kids.  It was a beautiful night..no rain like much of the Southeast.
we only had about 12 or 13. This is not a big holiday in my neighborhood.

Im done now. Im on front porch. Officially calling it OVER. 9pm here
A little after 8:00, we had two kids come by.  At 8:30 I looked out on the street and didn't see any activity so I turned the lights off.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

The kids in my neighborhood are lazy. I have to knock on their door and give them candy.

cool1

cool1

gulfbeachbandit wrote:The kids in my neighborhood are lazy.  I have to knock on their door and give them candy.  

I had around 15 that's all and my daughters friend is now outside talking to her---I should have just put little masks on my dogs--They have been driving me crazy all night--I have one named Buffy---But we call her luther fur ----drives me crazy cant no one even get close to me without her attacking someone Evil or Very Mad

Im in a not so good neighborhood --my dogs scare the heck out of the ones that do stop .

cool1

cool1

[quote="gulfbeachbandit"]The kids in my neighborhood are lazy.  I have to knock on their door and give them candy.  [/quot

Around here only people that know each other stop by:lol: 

had a few others but not many at all.

cool1

cool1

Very hot to me outside.

cool1

cool1

Joanimaroni wrote:For years I have hosted the Halloween festivites for 25-30 people.  Getting the kids dressed, dinner, and manning the fort while the younger adults take the kids trick or treating.

My daughter is hosting this year. I hope the bad weather holds off. The 4 babies, 11 to 14 months, will be  the Ninja Turtles....excited to see them all decked out.

haha I should had left and went to Jonis house:lol: 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum