Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Fathers Army info

+2
Nekochan
gulfbeachbandit
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1My Fathers Army info  Empty My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 7:33 pm

Military Service
Event Date: 18 May 1945
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Event Place: Cp Blanding, Florida, United States

Damn Aint no getting out. You get out when we win.....plus 6 months

2My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 7:37 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Mr Ichi wrote:Military Service
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

Damn  Aint no getting out.  You get out when we win.....plus 6 months
I'm surprised that he wasn't a draft dodger. Like so many others on this forum.

3My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 7:41 pm

This post was made by gulfbeachbandit who is currently on your ignore list.

4My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 7:46 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Mr Ichi wrote:This post was made by gulfbeachbandit who is currently on your ignore list.
Close your eyes to the world.  And keep them closed.

Some people do what's right without having to be told or forced to do it.

Last edited by gulfbeachbandit on 10/30/2013, 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

5My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 7:49 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Ichi-san my daddy went through training at Camp Blanding, which is not far from where we live.  It's still a base--mostly a National Guard base now, but we recently went to the museum there. There are lots of pictures and info there about WW2 but no list of names of everyone who went through that camp.  There was also a German POW camp there during the war.  In one old picture, the black soldiers living area was right across from the POW camp.  Interesting stuff about our history and about race relations in the military back then.
**my daddy's "emergency" was nearly getting killed by a German grenade.

6My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 7:55 pm

2seaoat

He is not on my ignore list. 1a and draft number 305. They went as high as about 75 that year as the Viet Nam War wound down. I have zero guilt about having not been drafted, nor not winning the mega ball lottery. I had no interest in enlisting or attending a military college or seek a ROTC program. I was blessed with options having worked since I was 14 and had saved enough to go to a university for a year and a half, and graduated in 2 and a half years with a student loan for $1,500. Some friends did not have options and had low lottery numbers and served. Their life was not defined by their service any more than mine has been defined by the lack of the same. However, we each take courses in our life which we often have little control, and often find us in places where those decisions so many years ago shape our lives.

7My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 7:59 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Some people give to the government, some people take from it.

8My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:05 pm

Mr Ichi wrote:Military Service

Damn  Aint no getting out.  You get out when we win.....plus 6 months
My grandfather was put into the army in 1937 after having been caught running moonshine in north Georgia. The sheriff told him he was "saving his life"....LOL few years later he was killing krauts...he was offered a battlefield commission or a trip back to Georgia in the month or two before the actual surrender. He went home and EASed out.

9My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:07 pm

2seaoat

Some people give to the government, some people take from it.

That is very true. I am excited to finally get a federal check in January as I am now officially a taker having lived 61 years without every getting a government check. I am excited.

10My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:11 pm

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

2seaoat wrote:He is not on my ignore list.   1a and draft number 305.   They went as high as about 75 that year as the Viet Nam War wound down.  I have zero guilt about having not been drafted, nor not winning the mega ball lottery.   I had no interest in enlisting or attending a military college or seek a ROTC program.  I was blessed with options having worked since I was 14 and had saved enough to go to a university for a year and a half, and graduated in 2 and a half years with a student loan for $1,500.  Some friends did not have options and had low lottery numbers and served.   Their life was not defined by their service any more than mine has been defined by the lack of the same.  However, we each take courses in our life which we often have little control, and often find us in places where those decisions so many years ago shape our lives.  
There are no where near the number of draft dodgers on this forum as GBB would have us to believe. He though is only fooling no body but himself. The way he talks sometimes, I believe that he may be the draft dodger of the forum.

11My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:13 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

2seaoat wrote:Some people give to the government, some people take from it.

That is very true.   I am excited to finally get a federal check in January as I am now officially a taker having lived 61 years without every getting a government check.   I am excited.
I've been getting a government check for over 30 years. But then again, I work for the government. It's not a gift.

Only 61? I had you pegged for at least 70. As sick as you are.

12My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:19 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Ghost Rider wrote:
2seaoat wrote:He is not on my ignore list.   1a and draft number 305.   They went as high as about 75 that year as the Viet Nam War wound down.  I have zero guilt about having not been drafted, nor not winning the mega ball lottery.   I had no interest in enlisting or attending a military college or seek a ROTC program.  I was blessed with options having worked since I was 14 and had saved enough to go to a university for a year and a half, and graduated in 2 and a half years with a student loan for $1,500.  Some friends did not have options and had low lottery numbers and served.   Their life was not defined by their service any more than mine has been defined by the lack of the same.  However, we each take courses in our life which we often have little control, and often find us in places where those decisions so many years ago shape our lives.  
There are no where near the number of draft dodgers on this forum as GBB would have us to believe. He though is only fooling no body but himself. The way he talks sometimes, I believe that he may be the draft dodger of the forum.
I'm not old enough to have been around for the draft. But I did volunteer and do 20+.

13My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:33 pm

2seaoat

Only 61? I had you pegged for at least 70. As sick as you are.

Feel sometimes like I am 75, but after paying in since I was 15 I look forward to getting a check from the government.  I never thought I would see one, and I sure will not see what I paid in.......but no big deal.....I am the luckiest man in the world to be alive and living in the United States, and I can thank a veteran for the privileges I have enjoyed as a citizen. Thank you.

14My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:41 pm

I dont read GBBs comments.

15My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:46 pm

Sal

Sal

Mr Ichi wrote:I dont read GBBs comments.  
You are wise. 

He is a prick. 

16My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:47 pm

Sal wrote:
You are wise. 

He is a prick. 
LOL:cheers: cheers cheers cheers cheers 

17My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:47 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Hey Mr. Ichi let me know if seaoat ever says anything worth reading....I'll keep an eye on GBB for you...LOL.

18My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 8:49 pm

LOL Fair exchange but you got the bad end of the deal, So far not much just something about his draft number.

19My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 9:05 pm

Their life was not defined by their service any more than mine has been defined by the lack of the same.

Take 3 or 4 years out of your life when you are 21 years old and see if your life is not "defined" by the years in the service. Gee-zus

20My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 9:14 pm

2seaoat

Take 3 or 4 years out of your life when you are 21 years old and see if your life is not "defined" by the years in the service. Gee-zus

Exactly. It defined you. My four years of college and graduate school instead of being drafted defined me. However, I moved on. You may have reasons you cannot move on, and I have not walked in your shoes, but a few years in my youth did not define my life, nor did it define my friends who were drafted.....they moved on, some people are defined by their years of service. Some have experiences which were life changing, most did their time and moved on, but how each person life evolves is a very individual journey. Again, I make no excuse for working to have an opportunity to attend a university, and have zero regret in not getting drafted. Had I served perhaps I too would be defined by the same.

21My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 9:30 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Mr Ichi wrote:Their life was not defined by their service any more than mine has been defined by the lack of the same.

Take 3 or 4 years out of your life when you are 21 years old and see if your life is not "defined" by the years in the service.  Gee-zus
cheers cheers cheers 

The thing that many civilians do not understand about the service is that it's a 24/7 job.  It's more than that.  Especially for a young single person, it is your ENTIRE life.  Your work time, play time, off time-it's  all regulated by the military.  There is no other boss/job that can legally tell a 21 year old:  "You may not leave the base this week.  You may not go to this place or that place in your off time. You many not quit your job until I tell you that you can quit".   And for a married young man, no other boss can legally tell you: "You may not leave this base/ship/post and fly home and see your wife and new baby".   

And especially when you throw a war into that pot, I don't see how it could not define a young person's life.

22My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 9:39 pm

When I joined I had a nice car, a girl friend and was making pretty good money as a welder.  I was on the short list for a job in the research lab at Monsanto.   Fast forward 4 years.  Sold the car when I was in Korea, Girl friend was long gone,  people my age had already locked in their jobs.  It takes a big effort  to regroup and get your act back together after a extended time out  of country.  It is some what discerning to have people tell you  "Shit son,  it wasn't  no big deal"  shake it off and move on.  But doing so and playing "catch up" made me a better man.
I have done well.  I gained experiences that enable me to see life in a unique manner.  I envy no one!!!  I laugh at the constant references that I envy Quint Studer.  LOL  One thing I will tell you.  I have walked though Hell and came out the other side.  
It is what it is.   I am a survivor and am proud of what I have done. Some of my friends were not so lucky..

23My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 9:52 pm

2seaoat

The wealth of information which each person collects in their journey is priceless. A young person experiencing other cultures is an eye opener, and opportunities are often just random luck. I needed a job between graduation from college and graduate school and walked into a bearing factory and applied......seven employees had accidents or illness that weekend. I literally walked in and was listening to the phone calls.....Bob and joe were involved in a car accident and broke legs..........Sally had a baby.......George was arrested.....etc.....the personnel manager said I had to take a mechanical test.....I failed, they hired me and had me start the very next day and sent me over to the doctor. It was a life changing experience, and at the time.....I just got up looking for work.....did not know what was going to follow. If I had a 40 draft number, my life would have taken a different course.

24My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/30/2013, 10:06 pm

Mr Oats Believe me when I say this. I have no problem with those that did not get drafted. I am not resentful. I did my best to beat the damn thing but I failed. It takes people like you to hire people, run business, provide jobs.etc. I know a lot of people like you. We all do different things. I was lucky enough to get in on a exciting business on the ground floor. I have proved I am a piss poor businessman. GBB started this with most likely a comment that I am draft dodger. Like that is bad thing. Take care all is good..........................................................................................................................................................now about them damn Nazis

25My Fathers Army info  Empty Re: My Fathers Army info 10/31/2013, 7:52 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

[quote="Mr Ichi"]Their life was not defined by their service any more than mine has been defined by the lack of the same.

Take 3 or 4 years out of your life when you are 21 years old and see if your life is not "defined" by the years in the service.  Gee-zus
[/quote

And yet you started a whole thread in it. What a loser.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum