Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

People biologically take pleasure in the pain of others

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/upiUPI-20131029-002337-2249

BOSTON, Oct. 29 (UPI) -- 
U.S. researchers find people are biologically responsive to taking pleasure in the pain of others -- Schadenfreude -- at least if they envy them.
Mina Cikara of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Susan Fiske of Princeton University measured the electrical activity of cheek muscles with an electromyogram, which captures the electrical activity of facial movements when an individual smiles.
Participants were shown photographs of individuals associated with different stereotypes: the elderly (pity), students or Americans (pride), drug addicts (disgust) and rich professionals (envy).
These images were then paired with everyday events such as: "Won five dollars" (positive) or "Got soaked by a taxi" (negative) or "Went to the bathroom" (neutral). Participants were asked how this would make them feel, and their facial movements were recorded.
"Because people don't like to report envy of Schadenfreude, this was the best method for gathering such responses. And, in this experiment, we were able to viscerally capture malicious glee," Fiske said. "We found that people did smile more in response to negative than positive events, but only for groups they envied."
In a second study, participants viewed the same photographs and events as the first study and were asked to rate how they felt on a scale of 1-9.
Similar results emerged: Participants felt the worst about positive events and the best about negative events in regards to the rich professionals, the study said.
"A lack of empathy is not always pathological. It's a human response, and not everyone experiences this, but a significant portion does," Cikara said. "If you think about the way workplaces and organizations are set up, for example, it raises an interesting question: Is competition the best way to get your employees to produce? It's possible, in some circumstances, that competition is good. In other ways, people might be preoccupied with bringing other people down, and that's not what an organization wants."

The findings were reported in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

That explains my ex-wife.

cool1

cool1

TEOTWAWKI wrote:That explains my ex-wife.

Shocked -----------Laughing

Explains my problem. I like to give pleasure.

People biologically take pleasure in the pain of others Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMXesg3c9Oh9KuG6UavvumoFXElyoaIf8qxJxAMmU2dgI7xU5l

Rape me! Beat me! Make me write bad checks! I love you no shit!!!!! Buy me Harley!

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dOsbsuhYGQ

Laughing 

cool1

cool1

Chrissy wrote:Explains my problem. I like to give pleasure.

Laughing

cool1

cool1

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
cool1 wrote:
Chrissy wrote:Explains my problem. I like to give pleasure.
Laughing
Wow you're up with the chickens this morning ...Very Happy 
I get up at 4 every morning --And I don't need a clock I just wake up , Ive gotten up at this time for over 20 years --haha even on weekends Shocked 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum