Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I just got home from watching the movie "Captain Phillips" and was flabbergasted by what followed.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

First of all, it is a wonderfully made film in every way. The acting is superb. The supposedly true story is as compelling and well written as anything we've seen in big hollywood movies recently. And even more than that, the filmmaker executes his picture with so much skill that you will not find one cinematic flaw in it.

So then I come home all enthused about learning more about the story and I go on google. And this is the first thing I find.
What a fucking disappoinment to have to read this. Sometimes I hate google even if it is telling the truth (and this time I don't know who to believe). lol

Nekochan

Nekochan

What did you find on Google?

What I have read is that the real crew of the ship say that the movie is mostly fiction.  The captain was no hero, so they say.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Bob wrote:First of all,  it is a wonderfully made film in every way.  The acting is superb.  The supposedly true story is as compelling and well written as anything we've seen in big hollywood movies recently.  And even more than that,  the filmmaker executes his picture with so much skill that you will not find one cinematic flaw in it.

So then I come home all enthused about learning more about the story and I go on google.  And this is the first thing I find.
What a fucking disappoinment to have to read this.  Sometimes I hate google even if it is telling the truth (and this time I don't know who to believe).  lol

From what I have read about the movie, the real Captain Phillips(not Tom Hanks) stated that the movie was about as far from the truth as one can get. He says he is not the hero the movie makes him out to be and it is backed up by his own crew. Now that being said, fiction or not, I am a pushover for action/drama type movies and I will be sure to see it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sorry, I forgot to put the link in. But yes it's what you two already had heard about.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/crew-members-deny-captain-phillips-heroism/

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob if you enjoyed the movie...that's what counts. Hanks is an incredible actor.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bob wrote:Sorry,  I forgot to put the link in.  But yes it's what you two already had heard about.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/crew-members-deny-captain-phillips-heroism/
That was an eye-opening article. I wonder if Phillips made any money from all of this?

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think this is one of Hanks' best roles. Especially in the final sequence when it's like actually watching a real person who's in a state of shock. Not an actor.

I've been reading some more and the only thing Phillips objects to is his being made a hero by the movie. That's just a display of modesty. Not any real criticism of the movie.
It's mostly one crew member who is trashing Phillips and others who followed suit and probably because they've all filed a $50 million suit against the ship operator and their plaintiffs argument is that because of Phillips ego he acted very negligently.
But additionally, the one most vocal crew member also says stuff like "everybody hated Phillips so much that nobody wanted to sail with him".

Nekochan

Nekochan

Joanimaroni wrote:Bob if you enjoyed the movie...that's what counts. Hanks is an incredible actor.
Forrest Gump is still my favorite movie.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum