Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

USS Forrestal Sold for One Penny

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1USS Forrestal Sold for One Penny Empty USS Forrestal Sold for One Penny 10/23/2013, 4:43 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/23/forrestal-navy-first-supercarrier-sold-for-1-penny/

Sad Sad Sad

Here’s a penny for your thoughts: One red cent could’ve landed you the Navy’s first supercarrier, the decommissioned Forrestal.
The U.S. Navy sold the 1,067-foot behemoth to a Texas company, All Star Metals, to be dismantled, scrapped and recycled, Navy officials announced. It's an inauspicious fate for a ship with a colorful — and tragic — history. It's perhaps best known for a 1967 incident in which stray voltage triggered an accidental explosion that struck a plane on the flight deck whose cockpit was occupied by a young John McCain. A chain reaction of blasts and fires ultimately killed 134 men and injured more than 300.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Nekochan wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/23/forrestal-navy-first-supercarrier-sold-for-1-penny/

Sad Sad Sad

Here’s a penny for your thoughts: One red cent could’ve landed you the Navy’s first supercarrier, the decommissioned Forrestal.
The U.S. Navy sold the 1,067-foot behemoth to a Texas company, All Star Metals, to be dismantled, scrapped and recycled, Navy officials announced. It's an inauspicious fate for a ship with a colorful — and tragic — history. It's perhaps best known for a 1967 incident in which stray voltage triggered an accidental explosion that struck a plane on the flight deck whose cockpit was occupied by a young John McCain. A chain reaction of blasts and fires ultimately killed 134 men and injured more than 300.

Any estimates on the cost to make it show worthy, specially asbestos removal?

Nekochan

Nekochan

You know there are a lot of Pensacolians who wanted this ship.  And I wish it had been possible.  But it would have been crazy expensive to make it into a museum and also crazy expensive to maintain. 

It's still just a sad day.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Nekochan wrote:You know there are a lot of Pensacolians who wanted this ship.  And I wish it had been possible.  But it would have been crazy expensive to make it into a museum and also crazy expensive to maintain. 

It's still just a sad day.
I agree and that is an expense that I do not believe that the taxpayers of Pensacola are willing to pay.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

They're going to convert it to a garbage barge and name it the USS Obama.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Ghost Rider wrote:
Nekochan wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/23/forrestal-navy-first-supercarrier-sold-for-1-penny/

Sad Sad Sad

Any estimates on the cost to make it show worthy, specially asbestos removal?
I was just gonna say..... That is why the Navy has been sinking perfectly good retired ships as targets in excercises.

They should have sold it to India or another country needing aircraft carriers.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

My x husband was on that ship, in 81 hen they went to Libya and dropped some bombs.

And I got to go on this ship when they docked at nas jax.

wow, a penny.... I think they could have done a little bit better deal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum