Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cancelled my cable service today

+6
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
ZVUGKTUBM
Nekochan
TEOTWAWKI
boards of FL
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Cancelled my cable service today Empty Cancelled my cable service today 10/18/2013, 5:10 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

I now have internet only. No more cable TV. Dropped my monthly AT&T bill from $166 to $62 per month. Plus I'll be rotting my brain less. Win win.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Too late the damage to you is already done...

Nekochan

Nekochan

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Too late the damage to you is already done...
LOL.  Boards is still young.  There might be a sliver of hope. Wink

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I could do without TV. The wife still watches it, but really, only a few hours per week when you add up the usage. We both use the heck out of our computers, however.

When I want to watch a clip from an old TV program, I look for it on YouTube.

I don't think proposing to drop TV in my house would fly very far, though. Once I got to college, I really stopped watching TV because I spent my time in my studies. After college, I was a bachelor for 10 years, and I didn't have cable or a color TV until I got married.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

I did the same thing.  I have internet only.  But keep a check on the tv.  I still get the basic channels. Cox did not turn mine off.  But all I have is a old tube type tv so it is hard to tell what is on.  Why did they take all the Tube Testers out of the Drug stores?
Cancelled my cable service today Z

Nekochan

Nekochan

We lived without TV the first couple of years we lived in Japan on our first tour there.  There was no internet back then.   The biggest issue I remember is that I was not current with what was going on in the world, especially in the US.   Internet changed everything.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Mr Ichi wrote:I did the same thing.    I have internet only.  But keep a check on the tv.  I still get the basic channels. Cox  did not turn mine off.  But all I have is a old tube type tv so it is hard to tell what is on.  Why did they take all the Tube Testers out of the Drug stores?
You know, you can get a cheap color flat screen very easily over at Best Buy.....

2seaoat

I am watching tv in the office over the computer and because I am a direct Tv customer it is free. I can get anything I want just about. It is the future.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mr Ichi wrote: Why did they take all the Tube Testers out of the Drug stores?
The tube testers became obsolete when the tubes became obsolete.  It happened when everything made the transition from tube to transister.
When they were disposing of the drug store tube testers I picked one up so if you need a tube tested we can do it.
But most of the tubes are no longer available new and you have to locate used ones.

10Cancelled my cable service today Empty Re: Cancelled my cable service today 10/19/2013, 10:12 am

Thanks Bob I was just joking in a way. I am a Ham and I used to have a lot of "Tube" equipment. The prices for some tubes that used to be common and cheap are now out of sight. But thanks for the offer.

I didn't cancel my cable service and last night I sat on the couch with my 2 daughters and grand daughter and watched Halloween, eating popcorn and raisinettes. while my other half did the opposite thing of which usually happens, she took the boys to a hockey game< this is usually my thing.

It was good to be on the other side. I enjoyed it greatly.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Has anyone had any experience getting rid of cable or direct TV and going to Roku or Amazon Fire stick? My head is swimming with information about antennas and DVR's, HBO Now, etc.

I have an Amazon Prime subscription, which provides a lot of entertainment, series programs etc. but what about network TV?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

othershoe1030 wrote:Has anyone had any experience getting rid of cable or direct TV and going to Roku or Amazon Fire stick? My head is swimming with information about antennas and DVR's, HBO Now, etc.

I have an Amazon Prime subscription, which provides a lot of entertainment, series programs etc. but what about network TV?

My wife uses the heck out of her Roku. She is the TV watcher in our house, and has been watching entire series of Star Trek TNG, Enterprise, Voyager, Deep Space Nine. I have ATT U-Verse, and could greatly lower my bill by doing away with TV, but I would never suggest it. The only time of the year I watch much TV is during the college football season.

We really do not watch enough network TV to warrant keeping a cable subscription, but I doubt the wife would cotton to doing away with it entirely.

dumpcare

I was just researching hd antenna's earlier today and in the comments section of this article at bottom says a little about roku.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/07/indoor-hdtv-antennas/index.htm

dumpcare

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:Has anyone had any experience getting rid of cable or direct TV and going to Roku or Amazon Fire stick? My head is swimming with information about antennas and DVR's, HBO Now, etc.

My wife uses the heck out of her Roku. She is the TV watcher in our house, and has been watching entire series of Star Trek TNG, Enterprise, Voyager, Deep Space Nine. I have ATT U-Verse, and could greatly lower my bill by doing away with TV, but I would never suggest it. The only time of the year I watch much TV is during the college football season.

We really do not watch enough network TV to warrant keeping a cable subscription, but I doubt the wife would cotton to doing away with it entirely.

Yep, my wife won't get rid of cable, but the prices keep inching up and there has to be a breaking point. That point is here for me.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I could get shed of cable/satellite with no problem except for one thing.
It's the only way you can get the cable news talking head shows and unfortunately I'm totally addicted to it with no hope of recovery.
How else would I be able to see live what I saw today. A hundred tv crews and some in helicopters waiting and waiting to catch a glimpse of Donald Trump going into the meeting with Ryan.

If the sound had been turned down I woulda thought Paris Hilton had been sighted again.

2seaoat

Wow.....a thread from the past.....I miss Neko and T. I go by the Milton Tastee Freeze and I will not go there because about two weeks before T passed he posted his visit to that Tastee Freeze......and I am superstitious. I miss them both. The forum was so much better and I got a private message the other day of Neko and I am sad I never got to meet her. She has a beautiful daughter and from earlier pictures so does T, so we know good things will still be done in this world by their children, but in the end I took both of them for granted until they were gone. At T's funeral.....his grandson's eulogy moved me and I think about him every time I pass that Tastee Freeze and am sad he did not have more time with his grandson.

I miss him often too... we would exchange ideas and takes often... but Teo would've been banned by now.

There's no room for a free exchange of ideas and opinions here anymore.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle was unbanned at least a week ago, Captain Butthurt. That he doesn't post here currently is his own choice. There has only ever been one banned member.

That sorta takes the wind out of your sails, doesn't it?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:Markle was unbanned at least a week ago, Captain Butthurt.  That he doesn't post here currently is his own choice.  There has only ever been one banned member.

That sorta takes the wind out of your sails, doesn't it?  

boards of FL

boards of FL

But regarding the thread subject, I still have no cable. I use an HD antenna for over the air local channels and my wife uses Netflix for binge watching shows. We also have Sling, which I highly recommend. It's basically a handful of channels (the only ones you would ever watch on cable) that you can access on any device that has internet access. ESPN 1 and 2, TNT, AMC, HIST, CNN, Food, Travel, etc. all of the good stuff. I mostly just watch YouTube, though. It's much more interesting to just pick a subject and then find lectures. Quantum physics, dark energy, consciousness, etc. from there you find good channels like the Perimiter Institute of Theoretical physics, The Royal Institute, the World Science Fair, which lead to more subjects, more lectures, and more channels. Lately I've been watching debates between atheists and theists, debates between libertarians and educated people, and anything that attempts to explain consciousness.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:But regarding the thread subject, I still have no cable.  I use an HD antenna for over the air local channels and my wife uses Netflix for binge watching shows.  We also have Sling, which I highly recommend.  It's basically a handful of channels (the only ones you would ever watch on cable) that you can access on any device that has internet access.   ESPN 1 and 2, TNT, AMC, HIST, CNN, Food, Travel, etc.  all of the good stuff.   I mostly just watch YouTube, though.  It's much more interesting to just pick a subject and then find lectures.  Quantum physics, dark energy, consciousness, etc.  from there you find good channels like the Perimiter Institute of Theoretical physics,  The Royal Institute, the World Science Fair, which lead to more subjects, more lectures, and more channels.  Lately I've been watching debates between atheists and theists, debates between libertarians and educated people, and anything that attempts to explain consciousness.
Can use a big screen smart TV?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Yes. I have a Mac Mini connected to my living room TV that acts as a media center. For the bedroom, I plug my MacBook Air to the TV via HDMI. Or my wife will use the TV for Netflix and then I watch Sling or something else on my IPad.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I haven't developed the courage to propose cutting cable to my wife. She loves her Roku. Between Amazon Prime and Netflix, she never tunes in any of the ATT U-Verse channels any more.

I have never watched much TV as an adult. I might watch one movie during the year, as well. I do my TV-watching on Saturdays between about August 30th until the second week of the following January.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

ppaca wrote:I was just researching hd antenna's earlier today and in the comments section of this article at bottom says a little about roku.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/07/indoor-hdtv-antennas/index.htm

Interesting comments, PPCA. My wife is not real technically savvy, but she bought her Roku through Amazon.com and set it up and got it running herself. It's all she uses now. Now, if I could get her to propose that we cut the cable except for VOIP and Internet...... It would have to come from her, because if I proposed it, it would not fly.

My step-daughter cannot afford cable, and when Cox had an analog signal, she just plugged a bare cable found in her house into the TV and got about 60 free channels. She got free Cox Cable for about 6 years, until her neighborhood was switched from analog to digital. Then, her TV screen went blank. My wife gave her a powered TV antenna she had laying around, and step-daughter hooked it up and now gets 22 channels. Free TV over the air, and they seem okay with it.

Man, I grew up with 3 TV channels, and that was enough (ABC/NBC/CBS).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum