Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

you wanted parents to be able to help their kids with homework? forget it now

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/23606520/new-common-core-standards-challenge-kids-and-their-parents

another BIG boondoggle to kill us off by the left.

Obama math: under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11

Quick: what’s 3 x 4?

If you said 11 — or, hell, if you said 7, pi, or infinity squared — that’s just fine under the Common Core, the new national curriculum that the Obama administration will impose on American public school students this fall.

Last edited by Chrissy on 10/4/2013, 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Sal

Sal

I am not at all knowledgeable about the Common Core curriculum, but if you're talking about teaching kids the skill of quick sum estimations, that has some very practical applications.

I was completely unfamiliar with that practice when my son brought home lessons teaching that skill.

It was not taught instead of precise calculation, it was taught in addition.

Sal wrote:I am not at all knowledgeable about the Common Core curriculum, but if you're talking about teaching kids the skill of quick sum estimations, that has some very practical applications.

I was completely unfamiliar with that practice when my son brought home lessons teaching that skill.

It was not taught instead of precise calculation, it was taught in addition.
Its not taught in addition of the other methods, that would defeat the purpose of "common core" now wouldn't it?

This is a very dangerous attempt to "equalize" good students and bad students.

Common core is the dumbing down of out kids.

It's just the test pattern... once control is established the content will be clear.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum