Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bob's quick and easy as pie recipe for delicious stuffed shrimp

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
Of course being Catholic Friday's were the best...always fresh seafood. 

Count yourself lucky. 

I grew up in Kentucky. 

Catholic Fridays meant the sisters would take the frozen fish and lay it out to thaw all over the cafeteria all day. 

The whole damn school reeked. 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The Catholic churches are still cooking the fish on friday. And it's still the good seasoning recipes and cooking methods. But now like all churches they're buying basa for the fish.

And goddamn is that vietnamese fish from the mekong delta tasty, I don't care what anybody says.
I found some basa fillets in my freezer last week that had to be there for two years. I thawed in em hot water and put em on the grill and they were just as good as they were when I bought them at Pattis two years ago.
Sure, they may have some cooties in em. But so does that seafood coming out of the fucking Gulf.

If any one is interested, I will tell the tale of the largest mullet catch ever made in Pensacola Bay. Maybe not tonight, My eye(s) are getting tired and it is a fairly long story.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mr Ichi wrote:If any one is interested, I will tell the tale of the largest mullet catch ever made in Pensacola Bay.  Maybe not tonight, My eye(s) are getting tired and it is a fairly long story.  

Get some Murine in those eyes and spill it. Inqueering Minds wanna know.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Mr Ichi wrote:If any one is interested, I will tell the tale of the largest mullet catch ever made in Pensacola Bay.  Maybe not tonight, My eye(s) are getting tired and it is a fairly long story.  

My dad caught over 12,000 lbs. He was with his brother in law and they had to give one of the nets away...it was sinking the boat.

Sal

Sal

I don't know much about mullet, although they sell a lot of the smoked variety around these parts. 

I've been told they're a bottom-dweller like catfish, from which I shy away. 

Is that true?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:The Catholic churches are still cooking the fish on friday.  And it's still the good seasoning recipes and cooking methods.  But now like all churches they're buying basa for the fish.

And goddamn is that vietnamese fish from the mekong delta tasty, I don't care what anybody says.  
I found some basa fillets in my freezer last week that had to be there for two years.  I thawed in em hot water and put em on the grill and they were just as good as they were when I bought them at Pattis two years ago.
Sure,  they may have some cooties in em.  But so does that seafood coming out of the fucking Gulf.  

The nuns and priests would come to our house for fish fry's. Our mullet was so fresh it curled in the pan.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:I don't know much about mullet, although they sell a lot of the smoked variety around these parts. 

Is that true?

They are bottom feeders....I see plenty of them around the dock at Peg Leg Pete's a beach restaurant....those you don't want because of the boats....they taste fuel-ish.

If you clean them while they are alive, filet them and cut the black area off( it has a strong iodine taste) they are delicious.

Here's what you do....pour yellow corn meal in a pie plate....turn it white with salt and then black with pepper. Mix it together and cover the filets. Heat 2 " of Wesson oil ( has to be Wesson Oil) in an iron skillet....get it hot and add the filets skin side up...brown and flip. Just takes 1-2 minutes. Drain on paper towels on top of a brown paper bag.

Now the Cajun way is to put prepared mustard in a bowl and add Louisiana hot sauce until it turns pink....coat the filets and then put them in the corn meal and fry like stated above.

First the players. Uncle Wilber, Owner of the Maria Josie(a ragged ass shrimp boat)Oscar Worner . Cafe owner and avid fisher man. Bill, Mullet fisherman, the Turners, Fisher men and one other guy that had a net boat. This maybe late 70s when their were a lot of local bay fisherman. Some one spotted a large school of Mullet coming in the bay. So the idea was born. They had different types of nets so they decided to tie 3 or 4 of them together. Maybe 4,000/5000 feet of net. Gills nets and net they called a "Buffalo " net, kind of a floating bag net.
So they all take off and they find the fish in front of Butcher Pen cove, a place may 1/2 mile off shore west of the bridge in gulf Breeze. They put the nets together and make the set. Perfect!!! The fish head toward the nets. BUT!!! There so many fish and the way the nets are set up, none of the fish can escape. The fish sank the nets and they could not lift them. then they realized the could not load all the fish.
They call Wilber to come help them as the shrimp boat had a winch and could help transport the fish back to the Dock
. more in min

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
Sal wrote:I don't know much about mullet, although they sell a lot of the smoked variety around these parts. 

Is that true?

They are bottom feeders....I see plenty of them around the dock at Peg Leg Pete's a beach restaurant....those you don't want because of the boats....they taste fuel-ish.

If you clean them while they are alive, filet them and cut the black area off( it has a strong iodine taste) they are delicious.

Here's what you do....pour yellow corn meal in a pie plate....turn it white with salt and then black with pepper. Mix it together and cover the filets. Heat 2 " of Wesson oil ( has to be Wesson Oil) in an iron skillet....get it hot and add the filets skin side up...brown and flip. Just takes 1-2 minutes. Drain on paper towels on top of a brown paper bag.

Now the Cajun way is to put prepared mustard in a bowl and add Louisiana hot sauce until it turns pink....coat the filets and then put them in the corn meal and fry like stated above.

Well, I stay away from the bottom-feeders ...

... but, gawd damnz, that Cajun recipe sounds pretty good. 

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Is that true?

... but, gawd damnz, that Cajun recipe sounds pretty good. 

You can do it with snapper or scamp.

It about 2pm when the set started and it was pretty hot.  so they got another boat to bring ice to keep the fish cool as they load Wilbers boat.
They did not have time or the place so they just load the fish, nets and all on the boat.  Soon He could not take any more so they headed back to the dock at Joe Pattis.  What a damn mess 1,000s of pounds of fish tangled in nets that had to be picked, placed in carts, and iced down.  Plus there was really no place to store them.  Patti did not have a big freezer like they do now.  So Frank called for a refrigerated truck and they started loading them on the truck.  They worked almost all night before they got the mess straighten out.  More bad news... Nobody wanted that many Mullet so the price dropped to about 6 to 10 cents a lb(not sure but I am close).  By the time they paid for all the ice, people to help sort the fish, and damage to the nets, it was almost a zero gain.....Some where at the Patti Fish House there is photo of the Maria Josie with all the fish on deck.  How many pounds?  I think it was somewhere near 40,000 lbs.  Maybe more but I dont think much less.  Not really sure because Frank always kept those figures between the fishermen and his self..  Next time I talk to him I will ask him if he still has the Photo.  Maybe not as a lot of that history was destroyed with Hurricane Ivan.  
True story.....

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Mr Ichi wrote:It about 2pm when the set started and it was pretty hot.  so they got another boat to bring ice to keep the fish cool as they load Wilbers boat.
They did not have time or the place so they just load the fish, nets and all on the boat.  Soon He could not take any more so they headed back to the dock at Joe Pattis.  What a damn mess 1,000s of pounds of fish tangled in nets that had to be picked, placed in carts, and iced down.  Plus there was really no place to store them.  Patti did not have a big freezer like they do now.  So Frank called for a refrigerated truck and they started loading them on the truck.  They worked almost all night before they got the mess straighten out.  More bad news... Nobody wanted that many Mullet so the price dropped to about 6 to 10 cents a lb(not sure but I am close).  By the time they paid for all the ice, people to help sort the fish, and damage to the nets, it was almost a zero gain.....Some where at the Patti Fish House there is photo of the Maria Josie with all the fish on deck.  How many pounds?  I think it was somewhere near 40,000 lbs.  Maybe more but I dont think much less.  Not really sure because Frank always kept those figures between the fishermen and his self..  Next time I talk to him I will ask him if he still has the Photo.  Maybe not as a lot of that history was destroyed with Hurricane Ivan.  
True story.....

That's a hell of a lot of mullet....and 6 to 10 cents sounds about right.

Mullet are a little different.  They have a Gizzard, some what like a chicken.  Back in the day Mullet were ok to eat until you got close to Louisiana to the West and about Apalachee bay to the East.  They are dependent on a clean bottom.  I dont know about now with all the Crap in the water.  But at one time it was THE fish for locals.

Joani just broke the local code by disclosing the "secret" Cajan recipe. People always wondered how you get the "spicy" taste. Really really good when it done as she says.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Mr Ichi wrote:Joani just broke the local code by disclosing the "secret" Cajan recipe.  People always wondered how you get the "spicy" taste.  Really really good when it done as she says.  
.....OOPs!

Sal

Sal

Ima gonna use that recipe. 

I love me some snapper!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Have you ever had fried snapper throats? Delicious!

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:Have you ever had fried snapper throats? Delicious!

Ahhhh hell yes!   

I've gotten that dockside on more than one occasion. 

Tremendous. 

Yella

Yella

There comes a time when you have to just say "Piss on seafood. I want some good old fashioned smoked sausage."

This afternoon we will feast on grilled hot link sausages sent here from Longview, Texas, by a pal of mine. He sent me 20 dozen of the little beauties. They are truly beyond belief. Bob and I will risk a coronary infarction as we gorge on these with crackers and Lousiana hot sauce. I know the old boy will be bringing that famous brew, Yuengling, to aid our digestion and I will have a fattie to aid our mental awareness of the human condition as we contemplate what the poor folks are doing.
We will sit in front of the Cajun Cooker watching the sun set through the haze of woodsmoke. It will be called "Toke in the Smoke Friday"

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella wrote:There comes a time when you have to just say "Piss on seafood. I want some good old fashioned smoked sausage."

This afternoon we will feast on grilled hot link sausages sent here from Longview, Texas, by a pal of mine. He sent me 20 dozen of the little beauties. They are truly beyond belief. Bob and I will risk a coronary infarction as we gorge on these with crackers and Lousiana hot sauce. I know the old boy will be bringing that famous brew, Yuengling, to aid our digestion and I will have a fattie to aid our mental awareness of the human condition as we contemplate what the poor folks are doing.
We will sit in front of the Cajun Cooker watching the sun set through the haze of woodsmoke. It will be called "Toke in the Smoke Friday"

Yep there's nothing like a good fat cigar to go with smoked sausages. We get them straight from Havana.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Yella wrote:There comes a time when you have to just say "Piss on seafood. I want some good old fashioned smoked sausage."

Yep there's nothing like a good fat cigar to go with smoked sausages.   We get them straight from Havana.  

Good cover.

That'll throw those NSA boys off the trail.

lol

Yella

Yella

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:

Yep there's nothing like a good fat cigar to go with smoked sausages.   We get them straight from Havana.  

Good cover.

lol

People often stop by to ask us questions about reality and the meaning of it all when they see us as we sit in front of the smoker. We are considered to be the neighborhood Guru. Bear is always with us and he is sometimes questioned but he never divulges anything more than an occasional cloud of flatulence.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
Good cover.

lol

Good point. Just so there's no misunderstanding on the part of the NSA, we get our cigars from here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana,_Florida

actually we meet a person right beside that tree you see in the photo and he sells us the cigars. And since he doesn't look Cuban that's how we know the cigars are made in America and are not illegal contraband. But we got a little suspicious last time because he was playing Ricky Ricardo music on his I-Pod so we've decided not to mess with him anymore. And the statute of limitations and the stand your ground law and the burden of proof will ensure our innocence. That is if we don't get bum jury instructions.

I used to go to a BBQ place in the Longview area.  Sawdust floor, ordered your food though a window and it was served on a paper plate covered in wax paper.  Got your drink from a vending machine . Sat at picnic tables or old school desks.  They fixed a lot of BBQ sandwiches for a air Show(I think) and it was rained out.  I dont think they ever recovered.  Best damn food ever, Pork, chicken and Sausage. Also the Mexicans that sold tamales on the side of the road from a old station wagon.  Kept them in Big metal pots covered with a White Towel.  3 heats, X, XX, XXX.  Hot,  Hotter, and too damn hot.

Last edited by Mr Ichi on 7/26/2013, 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum