Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anyone know if we're allowed to keep bees inside the city?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A friend wants to keep bees in her backyard in East Hill to get fresh honey. Is that permitted?

Even if there's no code violation... I doubt the hysterical society will like it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:Even if there's no code violation... I doubt the hysterical society will like it.
I would imagine you're right. But then again what the hysterical don't know won't make them hysterical. If the bees don't sting anybody that is. lol

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:A friend wants to keep bees in her backyard in East Hill to get fresh honey. Is that permitted?

That's why you have a planning department. Call them.

http://www.myescambia.com/government/departments/ds/zoning

http://easthillhoney.com/

2seaoat

Contrary to what Mr. Markle has suggested, the proper place to go is zoning, and not planning. Also, there can be a number of other restrictions against bees which may not even be in the zoning ordinance and may be statutory. Private covenants and restrictions in the subdivision may be another layer to check out, and finally any neighbor will have the ability to file a simple nuisance suit if the bees present the same.

My grandfather had a greenhouse, orchard, and extensive gardens on two lots in North Birmingham. He had six hives and the pollination is very important in fruit trees. My grandmother would make pear preserves and nothing was better than pear preserves and fresh honey on biscuits to make a great breakfast. They virtually grew all their food on that extra lot and were literally in the middle of the city. When the queen would move, all hell would break loose, and I remember my Grandfather on his deathbed with lung cancer coming out and getting the queen under control and the swarm under control. He used smoke, and my uncle had a bee suit on, but my grandfather was this tough old buzzard Railroad engineer who could care less about being stung.......I was scared to death to go outside because of the swarms, and I certainly could see where neighbors might freak if the queen was migrating.....but normally they are no big deal.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Contrary to what Mr. Markle has suggested, the proper place to go is zoning, and not planning. Also, there can be a number of other restrictions against bees which may not even be in the zoning ordinance and may be statutory. Private covenants and restrictions in the subdivision may be another layer to check out, and finally any neighbor will have the ability to file a simple nuisance suit if the bees present the same.

My grandfather had a greenhouse, orchard, and extensive gardens on two lots in North Birmingham. He had six hives and the pollination is very important in fruit trees. My grandmother would make pear preserves and nothing was better than pear preserves and fresh honey on biscuits to make a great breakfast. They virtually grew all their food on that extra lot and were literally in the middle of the city. When the queen would move, all hell would break loose, and I remember my Grandfather on his deathbed with lung cancer coming out and getting the queen under control and the swarm under control. He used smoke, and my uncle had a bee suit on, but my grandfather was this tough old buzzard Railroad engineer who could care less about being stung.......I was scared to death to go outside because of the swarms, and I certainly could see where neighbors might freak if the queen was migrating.....but normally they are no big deal.

Seaoat, Planning & Zoning are together.

My neighbor kept a beehive in his back yard for many years. He also had another site on a local farm and made his own honey. One hive is, from my perspective, no big deal. But a larger operation shouldn't be in the city.

2seaoat

You are correct, the departments have been consolidated, but their functions remain separate, and this was a zoning question, and not a planning question.

Even one hive when the queen is migrating can be a problem to neighbors, but I think people have gotten past the killer bee stories of the eighties and realize how positive bee hives are in our lives. I have many pleasant memories as a child watching my grandfather tend to his bees and handing me a piece of the honey comb........life was simple, and I always wanted to spend my retirement with the back to nature simplicity of my grandparents.....I will not have that opportunity........I spoke with a bee guy last summer because my pumpkins did terrible and I was told I needed bees. He was willing to put one of his hives next to my gardens, but I have just gotten too damn weak to tend to a garden this summer......sucks, but the memories as a child are as sweet as that honey was......

I don't know much about city regulations, but i think if you have a big enough yard and the right bee houses I would think you could. I grew up around bee, but we are in the county and they stay fairly close to the hives. Don't hold me to that, check into the zoning and see. All they can say is no you can't or yes you can.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum