Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Here is the shirt every is talking about

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Here is the shirt every is talking about   74353_10151331518632440_978241129_n

1st ive seen of it.

whos talking about it?

New York daily news and many others,, Pretty big story.

WLTX.COM
A t-shirt being worn and sold at Taco Sid, in South Carolina, describes "How to Catch an Illegal Immigrant." The drawing is of a box with a stick being held over two tacos--a makeshift trap.
TAKEOUR POLL
Is the South Caroilna Mexican restaurant's promotional t-shirt "How to catch an illegal immigrant" racist?

No. It's funny and timely given the immigration debate these days.

Yes. It's meant to be offensive.

I'm not sure.

A South Carolina Mexican restaurant is defending itself against accusations of racism for selling a t-shirt that describes “how to catch an illegal immigrant” using two tacos and a trap.

Taco Cid, in West Columbia, says the shirts are “comical” and a reasonable political statement about immigration policy in the United States.

The shirts read “how to catch an illegal immigrant” and then a cartoon shows two tacos under a box with a cord, similar to a mousetrap. An employee wearing the shirt caught the eye of a reporter for the Columbia Free Times, who tweeted a picture on Sunday saying the message was “stirring controversy.”

Minority rights groups have slammed the message as insensitive and as a ploy to drum up business.

"Of course it's offensive. It's meant to be,” Lisa Navarrete, Advisor to the President, NCLR (National Council of La Raza) told Fox News Latino.

“This is simply a failing business trolling for attention... We would recommend people not patronize this place. Sure, because of this insult but really due to the fact that a restaurant this clueless about the Latino community can't possibly make a decent taco.”

For its part, Taco Cid said it has gotten calls from all over the country from people wanting to buy the $35 shirt.

It also said the message, and the taco imagery, wasn’t aimed at any one ethnic group.

“Our t-shirts were created as a witty and comical statement regarding ILLEGAL immigrants. There are NO racial nor hate remarks towards any specific ethnic group," Taco Cid says on its website.

“We do believe ILLEGAL immigrants are burdening the system we support and live under, thereby, causing us to work harder and pay higher taxes to support the illegal activities, which our government has simply chosen to look the other way. Is it "racist" to disagree with those who are not supporting the American system?"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/s-mexican-restaurant-fire-racist-shirts-article-1.1236221#ixzz2HXHZxIGm

Ghandi started a thread and linked to it on his first post.

https://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/t5099-and-you-thought-i-was-bad

LOL My bad. I dont read his stuff.

oh i didnt read that one either. now dont say it, I try to respond to others threads.

what do you guys think? do you think its racist?

I think its a poor choice of using a stereotype. Im still trying to decide if it racist or not.

A publicity stunt in poor taste.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum