Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do you feel about the use of profanity on this forum?

+5
Joanimaroni
catfriedlegs
PBulldog2
Floridatexan
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Some of us (including me) have a tendency to occasionally use profanity. And I realize that while this is not a problem for some, it is for others.

We can make the comparison to the use of profanity here to the use of profanity by professional comedians.
Some feel that when a comic "goes blue" and uses profantiy, that it's nothing more than a crutch and reveals
a lack of talent because a talented comedian can make his audience laugh without having to resort to that.
Others believe that the use of profanity is simply a means for a comic to punctuate his act and deliver his performance.
Both opinions are valid. This is a subjective thing.

I think the same applies to our writing here. So before I continue to occasionally use profanity, I would like to know how others participating in the forum feel about it. If you'll let me know your feelings then I can decide whether or not I want to continue my own use of it or dispense with it.

I can take it or leave it as I am not offended by it. I believe that some though gets offended by the use of profanity. You will on occasion use damn or hell, but you will never ever see me use anything stronger such as the f-bomb.

As far as my feelings about it, I believe that people who use profanity have a somewhat limited vocabulary that they have to resort to profanity in order to make their point.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:I can take it or leave it as I am not offended by it. I believe that some though gets offended by the use of profanity. You will on occasion use damn or hell, but you will never ever see me use anything stronger such as the f-bomb.

As far as my feelings about it, I believe that people who use profanity have a somewhat limited vocabulary that they have to resort to profanity in order to make their point.
I think that's a good observation, ghost. My vocabulary is very limited and that may be why I feel the need to use profanity to make up for it. I've noticed too that the more literate and erudite posters don't have to resort to profanity because they have other words to substitute for that which have the same impact.

I think saying BS or shit or damn or hell, is ok but using the F*ck word, is very immature. If we want to attract new members, Our language shouldnt be used to offend others. I am offended by those who use the F word and tend to avoid those type of people. Somebody here recently told a member to go "F off". I oppose that kinda talk & am turned off by it.

It's gonna happen, but the nastiest words won't come from me. I agree that we need to try to keep it civil to a certain degree or we're gonna run folks off.

Slightly off-topic, but I was surprised to see on my cheap Pensacola cable a station with call letters WFNA advertising themselves as "effin' A baby". I bet that makes the FCC cringe.

I dont have a problem with it. I try not to look to hard into what peoples IQ's are or what their limited speech is as I really dont care.

Usually with just about any person you'll get what you put into a conversation. if you piss them off, you might get cussed out.

if you engage in polite conversation that is usually what you'll get back.

either way, cussing or not. If your looking into it further than that, you probaly have some other dislike that your seeking to justify.

IMHO

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

It doesn't always work out that way, and sometimes I post a link to something that's loaded with profanity but expresses what the author is trying to convey. George Carlin immediately comes to mind. There are other comedians out there whose routine use of profanity really annoys me, because it seems to obscure everything else. It's like a sex scene in a movie: is it there as a part of the overall plot, or is it just there for the sake of "sex sells"?

I also think of Matt Taibbi. He often uses profanity. In that case, I think it reinforces, rather than detracts from, the content. The exception to that is his recent Breitbart parody. I mean, go ahead and say what you mean about Breitbart, but don't take it so far that you risk BECOMING Breitbart. And, by the same token, don't just throw the F-bomb because you can. I want my children to be able to read what I have to say without cringing.

I never said anything here that pnj would delete..

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I don't really care one way or the other, although I tend to click past posts with an abundance of cursing in them.

I did call Romney an "ass" on the PNJ today. That was fun. It made it past the curse monitor, too. ('cheers')

catfriedlegs

PBulldog2 wrote:I don't really care one way or the other, although I tend to click past posts with an abundance of cursing in them.

I did call Romney an "ass" on the PNJ today. That was fun. It made it past the curse monitor, too. ('cheers')

LOL

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PBulldog2 wrote:I don't really care one way or the other, although I tend to click past posts with an abundance of cursing in them.

Bad girl....

I find this topic humorous. Forum members here, the PNJ, and other forums will belittle, insult, and mock every know subject to man, religion, blacks, gays, abortion, illegals, democrats, republicans, you name it and someone has trashed it. With all of this profanity is the one major "no no". Are you kidding me. Do you think that when you belittle, insult, and mock someone or someones ideals with out using profanity some how your better than someone who uses profanity to express themselves, that some how you can claim the moral high ground because you abstained from using profanity.Well your not, a piece of shit is a piece of shit no matter how you polish it.

I will try to refrain from using profanity because I think it is the "civil" thing to do but sometimes I just don't feel like putting that much brain power into typing some long intellectual diatribe to try to appease those who think they are all high and mighty because they do not use profanity.

Sal

Sal

I think it's fuckin' great! Twisted Evil

Sal just confirmed his low IQ.

News Journal Moderator wrote:Sal just confirmed his low IQ.
I don't think so.. it wasn't like he used it against anybody..

Markle

Markle

Perhaps I missed them but I have yet to see any professional comedians here. If I pay to see a comedian, chances are I pretty well know what to expect. Same on HBO or whatever.

I see no need whatsoever for profanity on a forum. It demonstrates the posters immaturity.

If I see it in a post, I'll usually skip the post. If a poster needs to call someone an a** or tell someone to f themselves or whatever, they probably just came in from the elementary school playground.

Coach Bobby Bowdin brought a "curse" word to big time football still used in our parts. "DAD GUM IT!" Good enough for Bobby Bowden, good enough for me.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 6/24/2012, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

PBulldog2 wrote:
Markle wrote:
If I see it in a post, I'll usually skip the post. If a poster nee[b]ds to call someone an a** or tell someone to f themselves or whatever, they probably just came in from the elementary school playground.

But it felt so GOOD calling Romney as ass, and you know lefties always do what feels good. Otherwise, anyone who treats an animal the way he treated his dog deserves to be called an ass and more, in my opinion.

I can take a lot, but I can't take animal abuse in any form. Putting a dog in a crate on the top of a car is abuse, period.

Did I forget to tell you Romney is an ass? geek

no stress

no stress

No its not. Its no different than the dog riding in the back of a pickup or hanging its head out of the window. Dogs love it

Nekochan

Nekochan

LOL, PB. I think you have made your point! Smile

I don't mind a little profanity. But I don't like posts that are filled with profanity. In that case, the profanity sticks out more than the point that the poster is trying to make.

Nekochan

Nekochan

TrunkMonkey wrote:No its not. Its no different than the dog riding in the back of a pickup or hanging its head out of the window. Dogs love it

I guess you weren't in Seaoat's little survey either. Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum