Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

All Eyes on Ohio...billboards hope to suppress vote in poor neighborhoods

+4
Joanimaroni
Nekochan
stormwatch89
othershoe1030
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Are the Koch brothers behind this, or who? Fortunately the court declined to hear the case about changing the hours for early voting which was a win for voter access. More dirty tricks from the far right.

Ohio has recently taken center stage as one of the few remaining swing states. That status brings with it a bitter fight for votes, and in some cases, the potential for voter intimidation.

A series of billboards have gone up in poor, minority neighborhoods in the Cleveland area telling people that voter fraud is a felony. The sponsor of the billboards is unidentified.

"Voter Fraud is a Felony! Up to 3 1/2 YRS and a $10,000 Fine," read the signs.

While voter fraud is indeed a felony, instances of in-person fraud are very rare, and the placement and timing of the billboards has some groups crying foul.

Common Cause, a left-leaning citizen advocacy group, says the billboards are intended to intimidate potential voters and is set to launch a counter billboard campaign.

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/Politics/voter-advocacy-group-fights-anonymous-voter-fraud-billboards/story?id=17502823#.UH9vw7S6Xww

Poor liberals, can't handle the truth and think laws should be applied or ignored ad hoc to advance their simple-minded agenda. I would hate to go through life with a quivering, hypersensitive, they are out to get me outlook. Sad and pitiful.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

OS, I don't know how you could object to that. Don't we see litter fines, speeding fines, parking fines, etc. everywhere we go?

Besides, there is argument as to how widespread voter fraud really is. While no one has exact numbers, surely you remember the Acorn convictions. Likewise, there were many questions regarding Florida after the Bush/Gore election.

One case of fraud is simply too much and negates our vote regardless of our affiliation.

Here's another take on it:

"Vote fraud is no big deal, right? It hardly ever happens. It’s so rare that it’s not even worth discussing. Anyone who claims to take the integrity of our ballots seriously is cynically exploiting phantom fears for the purpose of suppressing the Democrat-loving minority vote.

To keep that silly narrative alive, it’s important not to read the Sunday edition of the Columbus Dispatch, in which readers were informed that “more than one out of every five registered Ohio voters is probably ineligible to vote.”

Furthermore, in two counties, the number of registered voters actually exceeds the voting age population: Northwestern Ohio’s Wood County shows 109 registered voters for every 100 eligible, while in Lawrence County along the Ohio River it’s a mere 104 registered per 100 eligible."

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/09/17/vote-fraud-alert-one-out-of-five-registered-ohio-voters-is-bogus/

Last edited by stormwatch89 on 10/18/2012, 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total

stormwatch89 wrote:OS, I don't know how you could object to that. Don't we see litter fines, speeding fines, parking fines, etc. everywhere we go?

Besides, there is argument as to how widespread voter fraud really is. While no one has exact numbers, surely you remember the Acorn convictions. Likewise, there were many questions regarding Florida after the Bush/Gore election.

One case of fraud is simply too much and negates our vote regardless of our affiliation.

Here's another take on it:

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/09/17/vote-fraud-alert-one-out-of-five-registered-ohio-voters-is-bogus/

Liberals do not care about the integrity of the vote. Liberals want voter fraud, they support voter fraud and it has become part of their strategy. This has been clearly demonstrated by the massive push against voter ID laws.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Now you folks on the right wing fringe have just gone too far with these accusations. How dare you say liberals are in favor of voter fraud!
Voter fraud, or more correctly stated, voter impersonation, is a brilliant myth trumped up by the right wing think tanks to attempt to discredit the voting results in an election likely to re-elect the president.

Statistics have shown that actual voter impersonation is less likely than being struck by lightning but the facts never stop you nuts from repeating the same chicken little lies about massive imagined voter fraud. For heavens sake, don't let crime statistics and actual cases get in the way of a good story!!

Once again you have managed to conflate two different situations to come up with a problem that doesn't exist.

It is pathetic that the voter rolls in some states are so poorly maintained that they contain thousands of outdated names and addresses.

However, just because obsolete registrations are still listed does not mean anyone is going to show up and cast a ballot. Given the non-existent history of voter fraud people who espouse this position don't have a leg to stand on.

othershoe1030 wrote:Now you folks on the right wing fringe have just gone too far with these accusations. How dare you say liberals are in favor of voter fraud!
Voter fraud, or more correctly stated, voter impersonation, is a brilliant myth trumped up by the right wing think tanks to attempt to discredit the voting results in an election likely to re-elect the president.

Statistics have shown that actual voter impersonation is less likely than being struck by lightning but the facts never stop you nuts from repeating the same chicken little lies about massive imagined voter fraud. For heavens sake, don't let crime statistics and actual cases get in the way of a good story!!

Once again you have managed to conflate two different situations to come up with a problem that doesn't exist.

It is pathetic that the voter rolls in some states are so poorly maintained that they contain thousands of outdated names and addresses.

However, just because obsolete registrations are still listed does not mean anyone is going to show up and cast a ballot. Given the non-existent history of voter fraud people who espouse this position don't have a leg to stand on.

Thank you for proving my point.

"Voter impersonation"... LOLOLOLOL

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

othershoe1030 wrote:Now you folks on the right wing fringe have just gone too far with these accusations. How dare you say liberals are in favor of voter fraud!

I guess I misunderstood the point of your post and that you objected to the billboards, which I do not.

Conspiracies? Who brought the Koch brothers into the mix and who is blaming the billboards on right wingers? On what basis?

As I said earlier, no one knows the extent of voter fraud and who it benefits, but any is too much. Stating the penalties for it does not bother me at all.

Oddly, your objection to it makes me wonder if you don't believe there is more Democratic voter fraud than Republican?

Last edited by stormwatch89 on 10/18/2012, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan

How is this suppressing anyone's right to vote?
If you go into a store and there is a sign that says "shoplifters will be prosecuted" does it stop you from shopping there?

othershoe1030 wrote:[color=blue]
"Voter Fraud is a Felony! Up to 3 1/2 YRS and a $10,000 Fine," read the signs.

While voter fraud is indeed a felony, instances of in-person fraud are very rare, and the placement and timing of the billboards has some groups crying foul.

Common Cause, a left-leaning citizen advocacy group, says the billboards are intended to intimidate potential voters and is set to launch a counter billboard campaign.

You say VF is practically nonexistent, and it is, then why are billboards, that nobody but the hypersensitive probably bother reading anyway, a problem for all those honest, hard working folks who you claim will be intimidated? And why are there laws on the books? And why is it a problem to point out the law? A speed limit sign points out the law, doesn't "intimidate" me. Liberals leap at every shadow screeching about VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRACIES. What a bunch of HOO HA.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

This is a better way to handle voters.....

All Eyes on Ohio...billboards hope to suppress vote in poor neighborhoods Philad11

Two members of the New Black Panther party stood in front of the entrance to the polling station in uniforms, described as military or paramilitary, pointing billy clubs at voters while shouting racial slurs....such as such as "white devil" and "you're about to be ruled by the black man, cracker."

Of course the Obama administration's Department of Justice was all over that case...they couldn't wait to drop the charges and refuse to prosecute.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Hmm, Joani.....was Common Cause there to make sure voters rights weren't suppressed?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

nochain wrote:Poor liberals, can't handle the truth and think laws should be applied or ignored ad hoc to advance their simple-minded agenda. I would hate to go through life with a quivering, hypersensitive, they are out to get me outlook. Sad and pitiful.

Your willful blindness is what's pitiful.

Nekochan wrote:How is this suppressing anyone's right to vote?
If you go into a store and there is a sign that says "shoplifters will be prosecuted" does it stop you from shopping there?

I believe shoplifting will now be refered to as "non ownership acquisition"... Thank you for your cooperation.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PkrBum wrote:

I believe shoplifting will now be refered to as "non ownership acquisition"... Thank you for your cooperation.

lol! lol! lol!

nochain: Speeding signs scare me to death, but then, I'm normally guilty of "non cooperation" Smile

Last edited by stormwatch89 on 10/18/2012, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan

PkrBum wrote:

LOL.

Floridatexan wrote:
nochain wrote:Poor liberals, can't handle the truth and think laws should be applied or ignored ad hoc to advance their simple-minded agenda. I would hate to go through life with a quivering, hypersensitive, they are out to get me outlook. Sad and pitiful.

Your willful blindness is what's pitiful.

Knowing where your head is normally inserted I would think your post applies to you.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:Hmm, Joani.....was Common Cause there to make sure voters rights weren't suppressed?

Makes you wonder if Othershoe, as a teacher, informed her students that cheating on a test would result in a zero, or did she just surprise them with a zero or did she even care if they cheated?

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 10/18/2012, 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

wow, this topic sure brought all the right wing snarkiness out of the closet!!! Man alive, I must have hit more than one nerve.

Here's what I would like you all to keep in mind. I think the vote is a significant way for citizens to participate in their government. Blocking a legitimate voter from voting is like convicting an innocent person of a crime.

Let's see, remember the saying that it is better to let several guilty people to go free than to convict one innocent person? You err on the side of caution with an eye to not doing harm to the person.

In the case of purging voter rolls by casting a net too widely, names of correctly registered voters are "accidentally" removed. In the situation of the billboards, it is my feeling given the parts of town they were put up in, that the intent was to intimidate voters into staying away from the polls. Perhaps if they were equally distributed throughout the city it might not have looked so suspicious.

You surely can't argue that these billboards were encouraging to potential voters. I'm glad other groups are going to post ads in the same area that counteract negative effects that might result from them.

Given the extremely low likelihood of voter impersonation there is no need to remind people of the penalties since basically it never happens. It is just a right wing smoke screen.

I think it has zero effect on legal voters.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Um....did anyone here say anything about blocking legal voters?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Joanimaroni wrote:Um....did anyone here say anything about blocking legal voters?
That's the concern we democrats have actually. That's what this all comes down to. We just want as many legitimate voters to vote without worrying. Not everyone is as set on casting their vote, some may hesitate in what they perceive to be uncomfortable circumstances that's all.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:I think it has zero effect on legal voters.
I hope you're right.

[quote="othershoe1030"]
Joanimaroni wrote:Not everyone is as set on casting their vote, some may hesitate in what they perceive to be uncomfortable circumstances that's all.[/color]

If people are that paranoid then one would assume political affiliation is moot. Hesitation based on some billboard would apply equally however it is telling that only the liberals seem to be screeching about it. Why is that?

[quote="nochain"]
othershoe1030 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Not everyone is as set on casting their vote, some may hesitate in what they perceive to be uncomfortable circumstances that's all.[/color]

If people are that paranoid then one would assume political affiliation is moot. Hesitation based on some billboard would apply equally however it is telling that only the liberals seem to be screeching about it. Why is that?

Illegal voters are their base....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum