Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Debates

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Debates Empty The Debates on 9/30/2020, 9:22 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Joe Biden wiped the floor with Trump. Did anyone else notice that Trump never smiled? He looked miserable. His idea was to double down on insults and half-baked conspiracy theories for the big finish. Pathetic.

Telstar and zsomething like this post

2The Debates Empty Re: The Debates on 9/30/2020, 10:19 am

Telstar

Telstar
Floridatexan wrote:
Joe Biden wiped the floor with Trump.  Did anyone else notice that Trump never smiled?  He looked miserable.  His idea was to double down on insults and half-baked conspiracy theories for the big finish.  Pathetic.

How can anyone other than Putin smile while he remains in the White House? Lock him up or at the very least, yank him out!

Floridatexan and zsomething like this post

3The Debates Empty Re: The Debates on 9/30/2020, 1:48 pm

zsomething

Whooo, that was somethin'.  Biden did great, but he didn't even need to -- Trump sabotaged himself by acting like an idiot.

At times I felt like I was watching Newbomb Turk's rendition of "Volare," except with less class.

Trump might as well have just done that. It wouldn't have made him look much worse.

He looked panicked. Like a cornered rat. He thought he could intimidate Biden, but the right -- as usual -- underestimated the hell out of Biden. They kept feeding 'em little cherry-picked snippets of word-fumbling that had 'em all believing Biden was... how did one of our little idiot chew-toys here put it, "wasn't fit to drive a school bus?"... and then the real guy showed up. And Trump made a childish ass of himself.

I'm betting Trump will want to back out of the next two debates. He should. There's really no reason to have 'em if they're going to be like that first one, because that wasn't helpful to anybody. Although I was highly entertained seeing Trump told to his mud-sweating face (lord, he was perspiring just short of Nixon levels) that he's "the worst president in American history." Smile

What I'm really looking forward to is the Kamala Harris debate with Mike Pence. Pence will actually conduct himself like a human being and will try to debate... for all the good it'll do him. Harris is terrifying as a debate opponent. I almost feel bad for Pence. That would should be a lot of fun to watch, since it'll actually be a debate rather than a moderator and an adult enduring a toddler's temper-tantrum.

Floridatexan and Telstar like this post

4The Debates Empty Re: The Debates on 9/30/2020, 2:26 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan
The Debates Tumblr_inline_p6m7t2R5xx1qzjix8_500

zsomething likes this post

5The Debates Empty Re: The Debates on 9/30/2020, 2:42 pm

Telstar

Telstar
I give Biden credit, he did a great job last night. Try as he did, Trump couldn't rattle Biden. You could almost see his presidency melting off his face and down to his heels.

6The Debates Empty Re: The Debates on 10/8/2020, 9:38 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

So, it's possible that Trump already knew he had COVID. It's also possible that he was trying to infect Biden. No one seems to remember when Trump had his last negative test, and we know he didn't get one at the door..."honor" system...OMG. Trump has no honor. So they're calling for the next 2 debates to be virtual, and, as zsomething predicted, he ain't a gonna do it, calling the idea "a waste of time".

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/08/921538492/second-presidential-debate-to-be-virtual-commission-says

7The Debates Empty Re: The Debates on 10/9/2020, 8:57 am

zsomething

I don't know why Trump's so het-up about maybe getting his mic cut off when he'd be interrupting anyway.  I think that'd be a better format -- cut off the mic for whichever candidate doesn't have the floor, and then, when the time is up, cut it off again and give the other candidate a rebuttal.   Biden would be cut off when it's not his turn, same as Trump.  I'd be all for that, as long as everyone's given a rebuttal minute to respond to any lies said about them.

There's really nothing to complain about... Trump just wants a chance to infect Biden, because Biden dropping dead looks like his only hope at the moment.   And I wouldn't put it past him to have some kind of hit-squads moving on that project right now.   Don't wanna sound like some wacky conspiracy-theorist for even floating the possibility, but the Trump administration makes it hard to leave anything off the table.  It's an organized crime syndicate posing as a political party, building its own shadow army of militia cultists.  America is, essentially, being occupied right now.  This isn't just "I hate Dubya because I disagree with him" or "that Obama is a scumbag" or whatever... this is something a hell of a lot different, and I'm pretty freaked out that so many Republicans are going along with it.  I've obviously never liked Republicans (well, not since grade school) but even I thought they had limits.  Apparently, they don't.   And if this country's going to survive, that party's gotta be scrapped.   It's gotta be purged of radicalized idiots and then rebuilt into something that's not absolute lunacy.   No party should become the home of its violent fringe elements.

Floridatexan and Telstar like this post

8The Debates Empty Re: The Debates on 10/20/2020, 12:03 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Presidential debate commission adopts rules to mute microphones

Candidates will be muted while the other has the floor, but rule changes have angered Trump camp

Maanvi Singh

@maanvissingh
Tue 20 Oct 2020 03.46 EDTFirst published on Mon 19 Oct 2020 21.17 EDT

Donald Trump has complained that a rule change to mute microphones for part of his final televised debate with Joe Biden is “very unfair” and objected to the topics chosen by the moderator. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

When the two face off on Thursday for a final televised debate, each candidate will have their microphones cut off while the other is delivering responses to questions on American families, race in America, climate change, national security and leadership.

The 90-minute debate is divided into 15-minute segments on the six topics, with each candidate granted two minutes to deliver uninterrupted remarks before proceeding to an open debate for nine minutes of each segment.

The non-partisan Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) on Monday announced that “in order to enforce this agreed upon rule, the only candidate whose microphone will be open during these two-minute periods is the candidate who has the floor under the rules”. Both mics will be unmuted for open discussion.

The commission added in a statement: “We realize, after discussions with both campaigns, that neither campaign may be totally satisfied with the measures announced today. One may think they go too far, and one may think they do not go far enough. We are comfortable that these actions strike the right balance and that they are in the interest of the American people, for whom these debates are held.”

The Trump campaign voiced objections to the change but said the Republican would still take part in the Thursday night event, one of his last chances to reach a large prime-time audience before voting ends on 3 November.

“President Trump is committed to debating Joe Biden regardless of last-minute rule changes from the biased commission in their latest attempt to provide advantage to their favored candidate,” campaign manager Bill Stepien said.

The Trump campaign earlier contested the topics of some of the questions the debate moderator, NBC News correspondent Kristen Welker, had chosen for the debate with Stepien claiming the campaigns already agreed foreign policy would be the focus.

Trump said the conditions of the debate were unfair: “I will participate but it’s very unfair that they changed the topics and it’s very unfair that again we have an anchor who’s totally biased.”

At a recent rally, Trump griped that Welker is “extremely unfair”. He has also tweeted, “She’s always been terrible & unfair, just like most of the Fake News reporters, but I’ll still play the game.”

A spokesman for Biden replied that the campaigns and debates commission has agreed Welker would choose the topics. “The Trump campaign is lying about that now because Donald Trump is afraid to face more questions about his disastrous Covid response,” national press secretary TJ Ducklo said.

“As usual, the president is more concerned with the rules of a debate than he is getting a nation in crisis the help it needs.”

'Will you shut up, man?': Biden and Trump clash in first US presidential debate – video

The rule change on microphones comes after a chaotic first debate on 30 September during which the presidential candidates constantly spoke over each other, with Trump relentlessly interrupting and attacking his Democratic rival.

Trump interjected so frequently that Biden at one point lost his patience and snapped: “Will you shut up, man? This is so unpresidential.”

Republicans and Trump have been critical of the CPD for canceling the second debate due to safety concerns after Trump was diagnosed with Covid-19.

Trump is facing intense pressure to turn around his campaign, hoping for the type of last-minute surge that gave him a come-from-behind victory four years ago, as he trails Biden in national polls and battleground states. But another rise in virus cases and his attacks on experts like Anthony Fauci, the US top infectious disease expert, of who he said on Monday “people are tired of hearing Fauci and all these idiots”, could undermine his final efforts to appeal to voters outside his most loyal base.

“I’m not running scared,” Trump told reporters before taking off for Tucson, Arizona, for his fifth rally in three days. “I think I’m running angry. I’m running happy and I’m running very content ‘cause I’ve done a great job.”

Biden was off the campaign trail on Monday, preparing for the debate, but his campaign praised Fauci and criticised Trump for “reckless and negligent leadership” that “threatens to put more lives at risk.”

“Trump’s closing message in the final days of the 2020 race is to publicly mock Joe Biden for trusting science and to call Dr Fauci, the leading public health official on Covid-19, a disaster and other public health officials idiots,” the campaign said.

Concerns about a possible loss to Biden that have been spilling into the open in recent days have been percolating behind the scenes at the Trump campaign. Trump himself has alternated between disbelief and anger at the idea that he could lose to a candidate whom he views as washed up and incompetent, according to three campaign and White House officials not authorised to speak publicly about private conversations.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/19/presidential-debate-commission-adopts-rules-to-mute-microphones

Telstar likes this post

9The Debates Empty Re: The Debates on 10/20/2020, 12:27 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum
Trump was an idiot for interrupting Biden when his biggest liability is to deconstruct into mindless babbling.

When your opponent is self destructing... don't interfere.

10The Debates Empty Re: The Debates on 10/20/2020, 1:41 pm

zsomething

This'll be good, although it's still almost certain to be another chaotic flustercluck debate. Trump will ignore questions and try to veer everything off into the weird fantasies about conspiracies he's feeding his idiot cult, because that's really all he has. Whatever successes he had (all of which he inherited and just took credit for, but his accomodating eager-to-not-be-seen-as-America's-idiot-half (although the state of their South says, yeah, they really fuckin' are) were happy to play along) have evaporated due to his "I'm God's favorite boy and all the bad things will not happen if I just wish hard enough!" magical-thinking. And his loonie-babble will probably waste a lot of Biden's time, too, because he'll have to sacrifice some substance to say, "No, my son is not a space-alien lizard who's drinking the blood of babies given to him by Ukranian pizzas created in JFK Jr.'s secret lab" or whatever. God, I miss the old days when conservatives limited their weird fantasies to that childish "Jesus" business, but, turned out that was a gateway drug. Train them from the time their heads are soft to buy into that voodoohoohah and "Q" is the next logical step... Rolling Eyes

Shutting down the mic is a good measure, but it's still an attempt to impose order on chaos, and Donald Trump is a determined chaos-agent. He's getting desperate because he sees he's failing and he can't stand to be seen as a "loser." Plus, he doesn't really know how to do anything else. He's like a guy whose only fighting move is a leg-sweep. Fighting that guy, everything's gonna be leg-sweep-leg-sweep-leg-sweep.

Unfortunately, his supporters are so ultramegastupid that his losing won't matter and they'll still be following him, and, out of his version of small-man-syndrome (he's tall enough, but he's really really short on the inside) he's gonna keep on stirring them up until they're ready to kill or die for him. America's going to be dealing with a right-wing version of ISIS for years. Trump's never really been a president, because he's never tried to lead everybody, just his cult. And he'll still have them, with all the propaganda networks that are the real backbone of the Republican party still in place and eager to play offense, rather than trying to defend the indefensible. And the thing Limbaugh started years ago will continue, and America will remain hostage to its stupidest people.

Expect Trump trying to yell loud enough to pick up on his opponent's mic. There's no way he's going to be able to sit there and listen to facts. He's so desperate and frantic it wouldn't surprise me much if he tried to get physical, except he knows Biden's in a lot better shape and would feed him some curb. However it comes out, it's not gonna sway anybody. Trump's base is running on delusions that are set in stone and will not be chipped away by any amount of logic, and nobody sane is gonna vote for the bastard no matter how many adjectives he throws around. All these debates are really doing is showing that the right's go-to tactic -- claiming that Biden's a dementia patient who can't stand up for more than ten minutes -- is just the typical bunch of soft-serve dogshit they always use.

Telstar likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum