Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

More cancer for my friend

+3
RealLindaL
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1More cancer for my friend Empty More cancer for my friend 10/26/2018, 3:07 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

My friend is going to her cancer surgeon Friday. Another positive node indicating colon cancer.  18 months ago she was cancer free. Her sister died three weeks ago with Mets... widespread. She died of renal failure prior to treatment.

It breaks my heart.

Follow up. I went with my best friend/ cousin to see the surgeon today. The biopsy confirms adenocarcinoma. A 4 cm tumor. The location cannot be pinpointed so she is having an MRI this afternoon. The location is either at the head of the pancreas, the Duodenum or possibility  being attached to the vena cava. Once it is located the doctors, the surgeon, her oncologist and consulting with her daughter ( she is a vascular surgeon) A determination will be made regarding surgery first or chemo therapy first.

She and members of her family have tested positive for Lynch Syndrome... this is indicative of hereditary cancer, especially colon. Very strong history of cancer in her family.

If it is pancreatic or duodenum tumor a Whipple procedure would be indicated.

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 10/26/2018, 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

2More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/26/2018, 3:51 pm

2seaoat

It is an epidemic.

3More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/27/2018, 2:16 am

RealLindaL

Let us know what the MRI shows, Joani. Hoping for the best. So sorry for your friend and everyone suffering from this terrible scourge of mankind.

4More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/27/2018, 12:17 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Thank you

5More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/27/2018, 1:36 pm

knothead

knothead

joani, so sorry but wish nothing but the best for your friend, a tragic situation.

6More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/28/2018, 3:06 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:joani, so sorry but wish nothing but the best for your friend, a tragic situation.

Thank y’all so much. It broke my heart when she asked if she was going to die .

7More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/28/2018, 4:15 pm

2seaoat

Thank y’all so much. It broke my heart when she asked if she was going to die .

I hope she will find peace in her journey. It is a difficult challenge she faces.

8More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/28/2018, 5:42 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

It is!

9More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/28/2018, 7:57 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

It's so sad that we're losing people close to us. One of my oldest tennis buddies is in a rehab facility now. His body is just falling apart. 5 spinal surgeries and a couple were botched. We won the city championships. But now he can barely walk with a walker. I sure hope your friend improves. But i guess we all are goners.

10More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/30/2018, 1:51 am

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:It broke my heart when she asked if she was going to die .

Ohhhhhh....there are no words.

And how did you ever reply?

11More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/30/2018, 1:52 am

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:But i guess we all are goners.

No "guessing" about it, of course. No one gets out alive.

12More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/30/2018, 3:25 am

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:But i guess we all are goners.

No "guessing" about it, of course.  No one gets out alive.

13More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 10/30/2018, 9:18 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

The surgeon and oncologist have reviewed the scans and spoke with my cousin the vascular surgeon ( daughter) I will go with her to see the surgeon tomorrow for their decision. The tumor is too close to Vena Cava. Options will be explored regarding chemo, radiation and possible transfer. They are contacting M D Anderson.

14More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/1/2018, 1:14 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Referral in process to MD Anderson. Records, scans and slides sent out today. The tumor is in the vena cava and duodenum.
The decision will be for immo or chemo therapy hoping to shrink the tumor to an operable size.
She will have a port put in this coming week. When the referral date is confirmed I will take her to Houston and her daughter will fly down. She is flying in tonight.

15More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/1/2018, 1:18 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Going for the port 5:30 am Monday!

16More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/1/2018, 1:26 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Best wishes..!!

17More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/1/2018, 1:31 pm

2seaoat

They are contacting M D Anderson.

A tremendous decision. Your guidance and comfort helping the patient is deeply appreciated by your friend. It is so important with cancer to get to the research facilities. Anderson is the best cancer center in America. Our lives are a wonderful journey which ends, but the joy is the friendships and family ties one shares during our very short lives. Good deeds beget good deeds, and our very civilization is defined by our compassion for our fellow man.

18More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/1/2018, 8:17 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

The best of both....friends and family. Her ex husband and I are cousins but my friend and I are like sisters. We have always been Called “ aunt “ by our respective kids.

19More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/3/2018, 12:51 am

RealLindaL

I'm glad for you that you have such a special friendship, Joani, but sorry for the perhaps very difficult road ahead.

Thanks, Sea, for your words of wisdom. We definitely reap what we sow, and oftentimes I don't think I've done enough sowing.

20More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/5/2018, 2:30 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni wrote:Referral in process to MD Anderson. Records, scans and slides sent out today. The tumor is in the vena cava and duodenum.
The decision will be for immo or chemo therapy hoping to shrink the tumor to an operable size.  
She will have a port put in this coming week. When the referral date is confirmed I will take her to Houston and her daughter will fly down. She is flying in tonight.

Heard from M D Anderson the same day. Appointment made for Nov. 30 I spoke with her surgeon this morning when we went in for her port surgery. He and the oncologist want the appointment sooner. Got it moved to Nov. 20... not soon enough so we are working with the liaison to make it sooner. The open communication with M D Anderson is impressive.

21More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/5/2018, 3:35 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

That's good to hear.

22More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/5/2018, 4:37 pm

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:That's good to hear.

Ditto! Fingers and toes crossed for early appointment and effective results.

23More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/5/2018, 8:54 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I don’t think they can get her in sooner unless they a cancellation.

24More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/6/2018, 3:16 am

RealLindaL

I remember so well that one of the very hardest things about having cancer was all the damned waiting, which only exacerbates tension and worry. Sorry she (and you!) are having to deal with all this.

25More cancer for my friend Empty Re: More cancer for my friend 11/6/2018, 12:36 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RealLindaL wrote:I remember so well that one of the very hardest things about having cancer was all the damned waiting, which only exacerbates tension and worry.  Sorry she (and you!) are having to deal with all this.

Because she has Lynch Syndrome a genetic mutation she has routine scans this was picked up and the repeat 3 months later showed an active tumor. Her sister, by the time she was symptomatic, it was too late.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum