Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Well Now That Didn't Take Long. Will Florida Wise Up And Vote Blue?

+6
polecat
PkrBum
RealLindaL
zsomething
Deus X
Telstar
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Telstar

Telstar

A shitty comment coming from a shitty candidate in a shithole state.

Fresh off his victory in the Florida Republican gubernatorial primary, Rep. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday that voters would "monkey this up" if they elected his African-American opponent, Andrew Gillum, to be governor, immediately drawing accusations of racism.

The remark provides a controversial beginning to what will be a closely watched general election for the Florida governorship, which pits DeSantis, who has closely aligned himself with President Donald Trump, against Gillum, a progressive backed by Sen. Bernie Sanders.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/29/politics/ron-desantis-andrew-gillum-attack/index.html

Last edited by Telstar on 10/9/2018, 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Deus X

Deus X

zsomething

A leopard can't change his spots, and a Trump-style conservative can't put the brakes on his racism.

And unforced, self-created errors. I mean, why even bother dog-whistling that. "Shhhh, I gotta remind my base that the other guy is bee-ell-ay-see-kay, or they'll forget!"

All these jerks have anymore is scare tactics. They have nothing to offer, and they know their base are some of the most paranoid, cowardly humans that DNA can produce, so they gather then up in a bleating herd and tell them, "If the Democrats win, they'll come beat you up!"

It's almost funny. If I were a Republican, I'd be insulted by how stupid and chickenshit my leaders obviously thought I was, trying that silly business. "Vote for us because you're scared of everything else!" Sheesh. Back in the day that would have embarrassed Republicans. Now I'm not sure anything's too shameful, immoral, corrupt, silly or stupid for them to close a blind eye to.

"Let's let our leaders treat us like childish idiots to own the libs!" Very Happy

RealLindaL

Amazing stupidity -- and even more amazing that DeSantis thinks he'll be believed when he says it had nothing to do with race. Give me a friggin' break. (That's the Trumpist pattern, though -- do it and then deny it.)

I must take respectful exception to the term "shithole state," however. Wink

RealLindaL

BTW, Trump, too, is also already dumping on the "failed mayor of Tallahassee," saying he has "allowed" crime to flourish there. I think Trump had better watch his step -- if he keeps saying things like that from now until November he'll have every last Florida progressive and person of color at the polls in furious turnout, aside from all the other normal and usual libs, and Gillum will win it in a landslide.

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:Amazing stupidity -- and even more amazing that DeSantis thinks he'll be believed when he says it had nothing to do with race.   Give me a friggin' break.  (That's the Trumpist pattern, though -- do it and then deny it.)

I must take respectful exception to the term "shithole state," however.  Wink

Most of what I know about Florida comes from what I read on this forum and other forums like it from the past. If DeSantis wins it pretty much cements Florida's reputation as a "shithole state."

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:BTW, Trump, too, is also already dumping on the "failed mayor of Tallahassee," saying he has "allowed" crime to flourish there.  I think Trump had better watch his step -- if he keeps saying things like that from now until November he'll have every last Florida progressive and person of color at the polls in furious turnout, aside from all the other normal and usual libs, and Gillum will win it in a landslide.

Good. Smile

Deus X

Deus X

RealLindaL wrote:I must take respectful exception to the term "shithole state," however.  

Florida is a racist, shithole state. I've lived in Florida since 1975 and I've never met a native, white Floridian that wasn't at least a passive if not an overt racist. I've seen a black guy get beat down for just walking into a "white" tavern by mistake.

Go to any one of the small towns around Ocala or up here in the Panhandle or down around Okeechobee and talk to some of the white residents. You'll find out in a hurry just how hateful and racist your average Florida cracker is.

Take a look at the schools in this state, especially in the poor areas. The teachers get paid shit and the buildings in the smaller communities are all in disrepair. Go look at some of the black sections of town in just about any small town: the roads a mess and the community services TERRIBLE or non-existent.

Living on the beachside, you have a distorted view of the bleak reality for people of color in this state. The beachsides all the way around Florida are nice if you're white, not so much if you're not.

Go check out some of the areas around the groves south of Orlando, the areas where all the pickers and packers live--talk about lives of quiet desperation, unpaved streets and dilapidated rental housing, some of it without even electricity, just a propane stove for cooking and a kerosene heater. It's a fucking disgrace.

Then go ask some of the white residents on the other side of the tracks why things are so shitty for "the coloreds"? You'll get a rude awakening about the reality of social relations in this state.

Florida is racist, SHITHOLE state!  Don't get me started...

RealLindaL

OK Deus, whatever you say. Since I'm sure you don't want to hear it or will completely discount it as Seaoat has done in the past, I won't tell you there are black families living on this island who seem perfectly happy here, despite your saying it's likely "not so nice" for them. Whites are not the only ones who can afford to live here, and to think otherwise may actually be racist.

As for me, I have to retract what I said above about DeSantis' comment. I actually listened to the audio of his interview on Fox when he made the "monkey with" comment, and, though it was a poor choice of a word in 2018, I have little doubt it was NOT racially motivated but simply a figure of speech he probably regularly uses (and one I've heard before, e.g., "Don't monkey with that!" having nothing to do with a reference to African Americans). I should've listened before I spoke. My bad.

This is not to say I don't think DeSantis is a racist; I don't know as I haven't pakd much attention to him -- but of course the chances are higher simply due to his being a Trumpist -- still, again, I do NOT believe the "monkey" word was in any way racially motivated, and I shouldn't have spoken until I listened to the interview first hand.

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:BTW, Trump, too, is also already dumping on the "failed mayor of Tallahassee," saying he has "allowed" crime to flourish there.  I think Trump had better watch his step -- if he keeps saying things like that from now until November he'll have every last Florida progressive and person of color at the polls in furious turnout, aside from all the other normal and usual libs, and Gillum will win it in a landslide.

Good. Smile

Yes, of course, a desirable backfire for sure.

On the other hand, I think those on the left need to take a higher road themselves or there could be an equal but opposite reaction on the part of the voting public.

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:

Good. Smile

Yes, of course, a desirable backfire for sure.  

On the other hand, I think those on the left need to take a higher road themselves or there could be an equal but opposite reaction on the part of the voting public.  

Too late, cracker barrel boy DeSantis has already made shithole Florida a lightning rod for racism in America. It's up to the citizens of Florida to remove the brand of "RACIST" written on their faces.

PkrBum

PkrBum

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/07/20/what-we-know-and-dont-know-about-the-fbi-investigation-hanging-over-andrew-gillums-campaign/

Telstar

Telstar

Gillum makes history with Democratic nomination for governor
Tallahassee mayor becomes first black nominee in Florida history

https://www.local10.com/news/elections/andrew-gillum-democratic-nomination-for-governor

polecat

polecat

(That's the Trumpist pattern, though -- do it and then deny it.)
[/quote]

Lie
Deny
Confess Arrogantly

polecat

polecat

Hey my fellow Floridians...

Don't knuckle-dragging cracker whitey hillbilly this up!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

RealLindaL wrote:OK Deus, whatever you say.   Since I'm sure you don't want to hear it or will completely discount it as Seaoat has done in the past, I won't tell you there are black families living on this island who seem perfectly happy here, despite your saying it's likely "not so nice" for them.  Whites are not the only ones who can afford to live here, and to think otherwise may actually be racist.  

As for me, I have to retract what I said above about DeSantis' comment.   I actually listened to the audio of his interview on Fox when he made the "monkey with" comment, and, though it was a poor choice of a word in 2018, I have little doubt it was NOT racially motivated but simply a figure of speech he probably regularly uses (and one I've heard before, e.g., "Don't monkey with that!" having nothing to do with a reference to African Americans).   I should've listened before I spoke.  My bad.

This is not to say I don't think DeSantis is a racist; I don't know as I haven't pakd much attention to him -- but of course the chances are higher simply due to his being a Trumpist -- still, again, I do NOT  believe the "monkey" word was in any way racially motivated, and I shouldn't have spoken until I listened to the interview first hand.

He did not say "monkey with", a phrase I too have heard and used, such as: I'll just monkey with (or monkey around with) this puzzle until I figure it out... I heard what you heard the first time I listened but it was really much different. What he really did say was:

Fresh off his victory in the Florida Republican gubernatorial primary, Rep. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday that voters would "monkey this up" if they elected his African-American Democratic opponent, Andrew Gillum, to be governor, immediately drawing accusations of racism.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/08/29/florida-primary-desantis-gillum-mattingly-pkg-vpx.cnn

He also referred to Gillum as "articulate" a compliment never given to and always assumed to be true for white politicians. This was seen also as a racial taunt of sorts according to black political observers. He meant it as a dog whistle not doubt about it just like 45's speech when he announced referring to Mexicans as rapists and drug dealers.

Being a Trumpist is a form of mental illness.

I have lived in the panhandle of Florida for a dozen years or so and find the politics in general to be oppressive. That's one of the reasons we are moving to New Orleans with a second house in Gulfport. Hopefully we will still be residents of Florida on Nov. 6 so we can vote for Gillum, Nelson, etc.

2seaoat

When folks vote for evil and celebrate evil it should be fought. The Iowan who was killed by an undocumented Mexican is now the rallying point for Nazis as they totally disregard the family asking them not to scapegoat Mexicans because that was not what their daughter was about, and that the Mexican residents in Iowa are good people. The Nazis are calling for a race war against Mexicans.........Trump is simply a fascist which has let this foul smelling slime spread. God help America. However, people standing by confederate memorials and who do not want to "monkey" up the election for governor. I have been screaming at top of my lungs for 13 years on these forums that the dog whistle is alive and well in racist America, but I never thought these worms would have the courage to come out from under their rocks.

Telstar

Telstar

othershoe1030 wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:OK Deus, whatever you say.   Since I'm sure you don't want to hear it or will completely discount it as Seaoat has done in the past, I won't tell you there are black families living on this island who seem perfectly happy here, despite your saying it's likely "not so nice" for them.  Whites are not the only ones who can afford to live here, and to think otherwise may actually be racist.  

As for me, I have to retract what I said above about DeSantis' comment.   I actually listened to the audio of his interview on Fox when he made the "monkey with" comment, and, though it was a poor choice of a word in 2018, I have little doubt it was NOT racially motivated but simply a figure of speech he probably regularly uses (and one I've heard before, e.g., "Don't monkey with that!" having nothing to do with a reference to African Americans).   I should've listened before I spoke.  My bad.

This is not to say I don't think DeSantis is a racist; I don't know as I haven't pakd much attention to him -- but of course the chances are higher simply due to his being a Trumpist -- still, again, I do NOT  believe the "monkey" word was in any way racially motivated, and I shouldn't have spoken until I listened to the interview first hand.

He did not say "monkey with", a phrase I too have heard and used, such as: I'll just monkey with (or monkey around with) this puzzle until I figure it out... I heard what you heard the first time I listened but it was really much different. What he really did say was:

Fresh off his victory in the Florida Republican gubernatorial primary, Rep. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday that voters would "monkey this up" if they elected his African-American Democratic opponent, Andrew Gillum, to be governor, immediately drawing accusations of racism.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/08/29/florida-primary-desantis-gillum-mattingly-pkg-vpx.cnn

He also referred to Gillum as "articulate" a compliment never given to and always assumed to be true for white politicians. This was seen also as a racial taunt of sorts according to black political observers. He meant it as a dog whistle not doubt about it just like 45's speech when he announced referring to Mexicans as rapists and drug dealers.

Being a Trumpist is a form of mental illness.

I have lived in the panhandle of Florida for a dozen years or so and find the politics in general to be oppressive. That's one of the reasons we are moving to New Orleans with a second house in Gulfport. Hopefully we will still be residents of Florida on Nov. 6 so we can vote for Gillum, Nelson, etc.

Well Now That Didn't Take Long. Will Florida Wise Up And Vote Blue? A_bow10

Telstar

Telstar

Any more weasel words in defense of DeSantis?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Another WH official resigns after his association with ultra right wing groups is exposed by reporters. In Malcolm Nanc's book about the threats to our democracy he explains how all this right wing mania in this country is connected to the resurgence of such groups across Europe and the election of more autocratic leaders. As we can see these people are coming out from under their rocks emboldened by 45 and his staff. Totally frightening and about a century out of step with where I thought we were as a nation.

It makes me wonder who does the vetting and interviewing for these people?

In one email from 2015, Smith responded to a group dinner invitation whose host said his home would be “judenfrei,” a German word used by the Nazis during World War II to describe territory that had been “cleansed” of Jews during the Holocaust.

“They don’t call it Freitag for nothing,” Smith replied, using the German word for “Friday,” according to the Atlantic. “I was planning to hit the bar during the dinner hours and talk to people like Matt Parrot, etc.,” Smith added, a reference to the former spokesman for the neo-Nazi Traditionalist Worker Party.

Though Smith was not assigned a supervisory position at DHS, he “wasn’t just some low-level schlub who didn’t do anything,” according to one government official familiar with his work for the administration.

He joined the department as an immigration policy analyst in 2017 and focused on refu­gee issues and temporary worker visas, according to former colleagues. He also worked on an effort, led by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, to expand the “Public Charge” rule by penalizing more legal immigrants who use tax credits or accept government benefits.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/homeland-security-staffer-with-white-nationalist-ties-attended-white-house-policy-meetings/2018/08/30/7fcb0212-abab-11e8-8a0c-70b618c98d3c_story.html?utm_term=.f1297ecc347c

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:
Any more weasel words in defense of DeSantis?

Don't know whom you're addressing, Tel, but I'm certainly not defending the man -- don't know enough about him -- only saying I don't think that particular monkey word was used intentionally. That certainly doesn't make me a fan of the man nor a declared judge of his racism (or not). I would've needed more evidence of that -- and it's starting to come out.

The monkey thing, though, I still believe, was not meant a racist dig.

On the radio yesterday (forget which station), someone played a tape of Obama using the "monkey around" phrase. That someone might morph "monkey with" or "monkey around" into "monkey up" is certainly not proof of the person's racism, at least not to me.

RealLindaL

And now there's this atrocity going on, compliments of the alt right crowd Trump has been enabling:

Racist robocalls target Andrew Gillum

Surefire way to get out the black vote.  Good thing those far righties are complete idiots.

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:And now there's this atrocity going on, compliments of the alt right crowd Trump has been enabling:

Racist robocalls target Andrew Gillum

Surefire way to get out the black vote.  Good thing those far righties are complete idiots.

Good catch. Same crap they would use on the forums when Obama was in office. Florida and Mississippi forums were big for that.

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL

Good holy grief. Bizarro world.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum