Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

What is the Optimal Healthcare System?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

boards of FL

boards of FL
You would have to live under a rock to have missed the heated debate that has surrounded health care in the US over the last year. Many disagree over the legislation that recently passed in the senate. That being said, if you had a magic wand and could implement any healthcare system that you thought best, what would it be?

What is the most optimal system of delivering healthcare in the US?

Guest


Guest
Poor people should just die.

Problem solved. I'm such a genius.

boards of FL

boards of FL
StrayDogStrut wrote:Poor people should just die.

Problem solved. I'm such a genius.

Though I am sensing sarcasm here, what you are essentially saying is that all laws which mandate care be provided to the uninsured in the ER be stripped away. I too have thought about this as well. The reason why is that if we have laws which require ERs to deliver care to the uninsured, that essentially amounts to a universal healthcare system. What ultimately happens is the uninsured receive their care in the ER, they do not pay, and then the rest of the population eventually pays for that uncompensated care in the form of rising healtcare costs, as that is the healthcare providers only means of recouping their losses.

Granny4Peace

Granny4Peace
Something like Mayo Clinic, hands down. I was covered under Mayo (thank God) when I was diagnosed with stage 3C ovarian cancer in 1999. I have no doubt that with that advanced stage, I wouldn't be here if I hadn't been in the Mayo system. It sometimes takes years to diagnose OVCA, but my family doctor (a resident) diagnosed it on my first visit, and confirmed it with her supervisor and a sonogram. Positive diagnosis was made after surgery, but the results were back before I woke up.

Whenever I saw any of my doctors, they could look up my entire record, give me results of any of my tests. My rheumatologist could give me the results of my CA125, which is the cancer marker test ordered by my oncologist, if I saw her before I got the call about the labs. The laboratory was onsite, and I didn't have to drive all over town to see different doctors, who could easily communicate by email, but didn't. I got Mayo through my employer, and stayed there for 10 years just so I could go to Mayo. I once had an EKG which was transmitted to Mayo in Rochester, MN, and had the results before I was unhooked. They are just set up to take care of people.

If they had a system where all medical information could be in a central database accessible by doctors, it would save a lot of money, time and red tape in practice of medicine. In my opinion, Mayo Clinic has the best doctors in the country.

boards of FL

boards of FL
Granny4Peace wrote:If they had a system where all medical information could be in a central database accessible by doctors, it would save a lot of money, time and red tape in practice of medicine. In my opinion, Mayo Clinic has the best doctors in the country.

It's funny that you mention this, as there is an entire chapter devoted to this in SuperFreakonomics, which I discuss in the Books section of the forum.

Such a system has already been designed and implemented in several hospitals around the US. Microsoft has since purchased the rights to this system and is currently working on making it a healthcare industry standard. This system has already been shown to reduced the time it takes for healtchare providers to diagnose and treat various ailments. Aside from that, it drastically reduces costs.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI
My question would be why anyone s a right to have something that costs so much for free or at someone esle's expense... Why would that be a right? I mean shouldn't I have a new mercedes?

boards of FL

boards of FL
TEOTWAWKI wrote:My question would be why anyone s a right to have something that costs so much for free or at someone esle's expense... Why would that be a right? I mean shouldn't I have a new mercedes?

True, and I agree with you, however, our current system requires ERs to supply care to the uninsured. As long as this sort of policy is in place, we essentially have a universal healthcare system. If we are not willing to cut that off, then we should be looking into ways in which we can provide the same level of care but in a less costly manner than the ER.

When I say "cut that off", I'm saying that, should an uninsured person be involved in a car accident and lose a leg, they be left to bleed to death outside the ER because, after all, they are uninsured. What about a child who is uninsured? Should they be cut off from care in the ER which could save their life?

I agree with you in that I am not entirely on board with the idea that quality healthcare should be a civil right, however, in certain cases - minors, for example - I feel they should at least have a right to some sort of quality care given they - being minors - have no hand in their insured/uninsured status.

Granny4Peace

Granny4Peace
I agree, Boards. Everytime an insurance company pays Teo's medical bills and charges him copay, deductibles and premiums, the bills for the people who go to emergency rooms is factored in. If we could reduce medical costs and level the paying field, everyone would benefit. As it stands, the insurance companies are the winners.

boards of FL

boards of FL
Granny4Peace wrote:I agree, Boards. Everytime an insurance company pays Teo's medical bills and charges him copay, deductibles and premiums, the bills for the people who go to emergency rooms is factored in. If we could reduce medical costs and level the paying field, everyone would benefit. As it stands, the insurance companies are the winners.

This is why my ideal system would be one that classifies healthcare into two categories: That which the uninsured can currently receive in the ER, and that which the uninsured cannot currently receive in the ER.

We should simply subsidize the uninsured to go to a regularly scheduled doctors office - which is cheaper - for ailments that they can currently receive care for in the ER. Either way, we're paying for it. Why not pay for them to go see a doctor as opposed to the ER doctors?

Basically, anything that is currently provided to the uninsured in the ER, I feel should be subsidized for the entire population, thus freeing up the ER and at least reducing the costs for those particular procedures. Beyond that, we should all be free to purchase health insurance for things that are NOT currently provided for in the ER to the uninsured. Surgery for glaucoma, for example. If you want something like that, purchase a private insurance plan that will cover it.

Guest


Guest
TEOTWAWKI wrote:My question would be why anyone s a right to have something that costs so much for free or at someone esle's expense... Why would that be a right? I mean shouldn't I have a new mercedes?

Teo, I look on healthcare as a human right issue. I know we've discussed this before on the PNJ, and you disagree with me.
I think government run healthcare such as what is practiced in Canada or in the UK is the best option for the US. I doubt we will ever have it, but since every other major industrialized nation in the world DOES have it, I honestly cannot understand why not. I think this country has too much of an attitude that you must work your life away for everything you get and nothing should be given to you. People aren't allowed to starve anymore because we now have food stamps. Why is food a human right but medical care not a human right?

No, I don't think it's a slippery slope to communism. Socialism and communism are a long way apart. I just think it's the right thing for human beings to do for their fellowmen.

Guest


Guest
boards of FL wrote:You would have to live under a rock to have missed the heated debate that has surrounded health care in the US over the last year. Many disagree over the legislation that recently passed in the senate. That being said, if you had a magic wand and could implement any health care system that you thought best, what would it be?

What is the most optimal system of delivering health care in the US?

It needs to be made like a Credit Card system or like DCF uses for EBT accounts. You go to the doctor and what ever the doctor or care providers need to bill, they bill to your health care account.
The payment to the doctors are all made through the Medicare system with standardized fair market value rates.

In this imaginary set up, Doctors and Nurses will never have to wonder or wait over an authorization from an insurance company for something that medically needs to be done. Ever.

We need to make health care the priority in health care and currently it is not.


As long as Private Sector big corporations run our government through bought and paid for lobbying with money they get from over changing us in order to create more paperwork with more delays for poorer quality health care, things will stay like they are.

We need more people in the health care industry and we should be investing in training them instead of filling the pockets of big business.

Health Care should work like Fire Departments, Law Enforcement and other basic things that we have to have in society.

Private Insurance does what it is designed to do. Make money. Those folks have an obligation to their shareholders to make as much money as they can.

I believe in free market capitalism like with selling clothes or houses or windshields or whatever, but there is no way to make health care work when the money that needs to pay for it is going to bonuses, advertising and lobbying that do nothing to produce health care results.

Here is a fun video.

Granny4Peace

Granny4Peace
That WAS a good video! Thanks for posting it.

Guest


Guest
TEOTWAWKI wrote:My question would be why anyone s a right to have something that costs so much for free or at someone esle's expense.
I agree. Why do Jeff Miller and Nancy Pelosi have a right to have health insurance at someone else's expense (me and you)? Why can't they pay for the whole cost of their own goddamn health insurance like I have to do.

boards of FL

boards of FL
KnotBob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:My question would be why anyone s a right to have something that costs so much for free or at someone esle's expense.
I agree. Why do Jeff Miller and Nancy Pelosi have a right to have health insurance at someone else's expense (me and you)? Why can't they pay for the whole cost of their own goddamn health insurance like I have to do.

Welcome, KnotBob.

Guest


Guest
boards of FL wrote:
KnotBob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:My question would be why anyone s a right to have something that costs so much for free or at someone esle's expense.
I agree. Why do Jeff Miller and Nancy Pelosi have a right to have health insurance at someone else's expense (me and you)? Why can't they pay for the whole cost of their own goddamn health insurance like I have to do.

Welcome, KnotBob.
Thanks, boards

Guest


Guest
Granny4Peace wrote:Something like Mayo Clinic, hands down. I was covered under Mayo (thank God) when I was diagnosed with stage 3C ovarian cancer in 1999. I have no doubt that with that advanced stage, I wouldn't be here if I hadn't been in the Mayo system. It sometimes takes years to diagnose OVCA, but my family doctor (a resident) diagnosed it on my first visit, and confirmed it with her supervisor and a sonogram. Positive diagnosis was made after surgery, but the results were back before I woke up.

Whenever I saw any of my doctors, they could look up my entire record, give me results of any of my tests. My rheumatologist could give me the results of my CA125, which is the cancer marker test ordered by my oncologist, if I saw her before I got the call about the labs. The laboratory was onsite, and I didn't have to drive all over town to see different doctors, who could easily communicate by email, but didn't. I got Mayo through my employer, and stayed there for 10 years just so I could go to Mayo. I once had an EKG which was transmitted to Mayo in Rochester, MN, and had the results before I was unhooked. They are just set up to take care of people.

If they had a system where all medical information could be in a central database accessible by doctors, it would save a lot of money, time and red tape in practice of medicine. In my opinion, Mayo Clinic has the best doctors in the country.

West Florida Hospital has this kind of system. At least it did in my situation. I had X-rays and a CT scan done and by the time it took me to get back up to the Dr's office (in the same building) my reports were already with my Dr. Cool

Guest


Guest
I think the system we have now is just great. There is nothing wrong with the health system, its access to the health system that needs to be addressed.

Instead of taking it over and making another big huge GOV mess, which they will. and it will be messy and expensive. Its the GOV.

They could have increased medicaid

They could have allowed individuals to pool in plans for discounts.

They need to increase the CMS fee schedule. As long as that fee shcedule is set so low hospitals and docs have to make up for basically giving out free care. somebodies got to pay.

and they could regulate the insurance companies as well, capping fees just like they do with credit card companies.

theres a lot more, this is just off the top of my head.

BTW granny. I worked for Mayo for years. They dont deal with a lot of indiginant people there.

Great place. I have many freinds who work there. but the crime in jax was too much to take.

and LM, theres not a hospital in this area that comes close to Mayo. None. The culture for Mayo is very different than any in this area. Ive been in all 3 major hospitals here. know many people who work at all 3. Nothing like Mayo.

catfriedlegs


Chrissy8 wrote:I think the system we have now is just great. There is nothing wrong with the health system, its access to the health system that needs to be addressed.

Instead of taking it over and making another big huge GOV mess, which they will. and it will be messy and expensive. Its the GOV.

They could have increased medicaid

They could have allowed individuals to pool in plans for discounts.

They need to increase the CMS fee schedule. As long as that fee shcedule is set so low hospitals and docs have to make up for basically giving out free care. somebodies got to pay.

and they could regulate the insurance companies as well, capping fees just like they do with credit card companies.

theres a lot more, this is just off the top of my head.

BTW granny. I worked for Mayo for years. They dont deal with a lot of indiginant people there.

Great place. I have many freinds who work there. but the crime in jax was too much to take.

and LM, theres not a hospital in this area that comes close to Mayo. None. The culture for Mayo is very different than any in this area. Ive been in all 3 major hospitals here. know many people who work at all 3. Nothing like Mayo.

Fk Sacred Heart Hospital.

What's CMS fee schedule? Is that where when I get my hospital bill it tells me that I got charged $27.00 for a Lortab?

Guest


Guest
Azadeh wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:I think the system we have now is just great. There is nothing wrong with the health system, its access to the health system that needs to be addressed.

Instead of taking it over and making another big huge GOV mess, which they will. and it will be messy and expensive. Its the GOV.

They could have increased medicaid

They could have allowed individuals to pool in plans for discounts.

They need to increase the CMS fee schedule. As long as that fee shcedule is set so low hospitals and docs have to make up for basically giving out free care. somebodies got to pay.

and they could regulate the insurance companies as well, capping fees just like they do with credit card companies.

theres a lot more, this is just off the top of my head.

BTW granny. I worked for Mayo for years. They dont deal with a lot of indiginant people there.

Great place. I have many freinds who work there. but the crime in jax was too much to take.

and LM, theres not a hospital in this area that comes close to Mayo. None. The culture for Mayo is very different than any in this area. Ive been in all 3 major hospitals here. know many people who work at all 3. Nothing like Mayo.

Fk Sacred Heart Hospital.

What's CMS fee schedule? Is that where when I get my hospital bill it tells me that I got charged $27.00 for a Lortab?

No thats the amount of money the GOV pays for services for people on medicare and medicade.

you'd probaly only get charged $3 for that loritab if the other 15 people who were on medicade were on a schedule that actually paid what it was worth.

catfriedlegs


Chrissy8 wrote:
Azadeh wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:I think the system we have now is just great. There is nothing wrong with the health system, its access to the health system that needs to be addressed.

Instead of taking it over and making another big huge GOV mess, which they will. and it will be messy and expensive. Its the GOV.

They could have increased medicaid

They could have allowed individuals to pool in plans for discounts.

They need to increase the CMS fee schedule. As long as that fee shcedule is set so low hospitals and docs have to make up for basically giving out free care. somebodies got to pay.

and they could regulate the insurance companies as well, capping fees just like they do with credit card companies.

theres a lot more, this is just off the top of my head.

BTW granny. I worked for Mayo for years. They dont deal with a lot of indiginant people there.

Great place. I have many freinds who work there. but the crime in jax was too much to take.

and LM, theres not a hospital in this area that comes close to Mayo. None. The culture for Mayo is very different than any in this area. Ive been in all 3 major hospitals here. know many people who work at all 3. Nothing like Mayo.

Fk Sacred Heart Hospital.

What's CMS fee schedule? Is that where when I get my hospital bill it tells me that I got charged $27.00 for a Lortab?

No thats the amount of money the GOV pays for services for people on medicare and medicade.

you'd probaly only get charged $3 for that loritab if the other 15 people who were on medicade were on a schedule that actually paid what it was worth.

Next time I will just request they shoot me up with morphine and then I won't care about my hospital bill.
As much as we don't agree on political things, what you're saying about the health care system does make sense.
Which brings me to another point that irks me I will make in a separate thread....

Guest


Guest
Azadeh wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:
Azadeh wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:I think the system we have now is just great. There is nothing wrong with the health system, its access to the health system that needs to be addressed.

Instead of taking it over and making another big huge GOV mess, which they will. and it will be messy and expensive. Its the GOV.

They could have increased medicaid

They could have allowed individuals to pool in plans for discounts.

They need to increase the CMS fee schedule. As long as that fee shcedule is set so low hospitals and docs have to make up for basically giving out free care. somebodies got to pay.

and they could regulate the insurance companies as well, capping fees just like they do with credit card companies.

theres a lot more, this is just off the top of my head.

BTW granny. I worked for Mayo for years. They dont deal with a lot of indiginant people there.

Great place. I have many freinds who work there. but the crime in jax was too much to take.

and LM, theres not a hospital in this area that comes close to Mayo. None. The culture for Mayo is very different than any in this area. Ive been in all 3 major hospitals here. know many people who work at all 3. Nothing like Mayo.

Fk Sacred Heart Hospital.

What's CMS fee schedule? Is that where when I get my hospital bill it tells me that I got charged $27.00 for a Lortab?

No thats the amount of money the GOV pays for services for people on medicare and medicade.

you'd probaly only get charged $3 for that loritab if the other 15 people who were on medicade were on a schedule that actually paid what it was worth.

Next time I will just request they shoot me up with morphine and then I won't care about my hospital bill.
As much as we don't agree on political things, what you're saying about the health care system does make sense.
Which brings me to another point that irks me I will make in a separate thread....

not a problem. I would love to have a open minded discussion about this. A few yearss ago when I first came to Pensacola I was in a meeting and some of the leading DR's were there. We had a long conversation about trying to get the area to open a specific type of clinic. Different than the one we have now that is contributed to by both SH and BHC.

Ive also spoken with the president of the where I work at about it. I havnt given up trying to make a difference in health care. it is very tuff these days with all the GOV cuts. The entire health feild as a profession is re-shaping right now for those of you who are not in it. A new model is being molded together very quickly because of all the cuts. But I must say I am impressed with how on top and looking to the future the admins are at least where I work. They are prepared and know whats going down and are taking steps to insure that this community will still be getting quality care.

While the greedy docs go off and build private practices so they can get rich because the fee schedule has made it profitable to do more things in a out patient setting and treat people like they are cattle getting shots in a line. Hospitals suffer, because they are taking care of the very ill, those who have long stays or complicated problems and they still get just one small payment for all that.

So I hope all of you take that into consideration if you need a procedure. Please support your local hospitals.

oh and I dont want to run others off this thread. I know we have some difffering veiws. The world would be boring if we didnt.



catfriedlegs


Chrissy8 wrote:not a problem. I would love to have a open minded discussion about this. A few yearss ago when I first came to Pensacola I was in a meeting and some of the leading DR's were there. We had a long conversation about trying to get the area to open a specific type of clinic. Different than the one we have now that is contributed to by both SH and BHC.

Ive also spoken with the president of the where I work at about it. I havnt given up trying to make a difference in health care. it is very tuff these days with all the GOV cuts. The entire health feild as a profession is re-shaping right now for those of you who are not in it. A new model is being molded together very quickly because of all the cuts. But I must say I am impressed with how on top and looking to the future the admins are at least where I work. They are prepared and know whats going down and are taking steps to insure that this community will still be getting quality care.

While the greedy docs go off and build private practices so they can get rich because the fee schedule has made it profitable to do more things in a out patient setting and treat people like they are cattle getting shots in a line. Hospitals suffer, because they are taking care of the very ill, those who have long stays or complicated problems and they still get just one small payment for all that.

So I hope all of you take that into consideration if you need a procedure. Please support your local hospitals.

oh and I dont want to run others off this thread. I know we have some difffering veiws. The world would be boring if we didnt.

Thank you!
I'm not very pleased with the doctors locally who charge an arm and a leg to see you for 5 minutes and just write piles of scripts I don't want.
I think it would be a good idea to revamp health care locally somehow and get a better system to provide health care to the people who cannot afford to see regular doctors.

Guest


Guest
Azadeh wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:not a problem. I would love to have a open minded discussion about this. A few yearss ago when I first came to Pensacola I was in a meeting and some of the leading DR's were there. We had a long conversation about trying to get the area to open a specific type of clinic. Different than the one we have now that is contributed to by both SH and BHC.

Ive also spoken with the president of the where I work at about it. I havnt given up trying to make a difference in health care. it is very tuff these days with all the GOV cuts. The entire health feild as a profession is re-shaping right now for those of you who are not in it. A new model is being molded together very quickly because of all the cuts. But I must say I am impressed with how on top and looking to the future the admins are at least where I work. They are prepared and know whats going down and are taking steps to insure that this community will still be getting quality care.

While the greedy docs go off and build private practices so they can get rich because the fee schedule has made it profitable to do more things in a out patient setting and treat people like they are cattle getting shots in a line. Hospitals suffer, because they are taking care of the very ill, those who have long stays or complicated problems and they still get just one small payment for all that.

So I hope all of you take that into consideration if you need a procedure. Please support your local hospitals.

oh and I dont want to run others off this thread. I know we have some difffering veiws. The world would be boring if we didnt.

Thank you!
I'm not very pleased with the doctors locally who charge an arm and a leg to see you for 5 minutes and just write piles of scripts I don't want.
I think it would be a good idea to revamp health care locally somehow and get a better system to provide health care to the people who cannot afford to see regular doctors.

I agree. Income based clinics could work.
That means that everyone would have to pay something.
This whole idea of the most precious thing in the world to be free is insane.
Many and most people already could get GOV health coverage, but they dont because they are too lazy and wont go through the process. This is a huge proportion of unisured people.
Some make too much money, they dont carry it. They will just pay the full price when they need it.
Others in the middle with no insurance, income based care. No insurance company's involved. Strictly a doctor fee for office visits. Like the place I spoke of before that only charges $40 a visit.
Major services when needed. Pooled. 500 people in your pooled group and you need a MRI, its $500, 5000 in your pooled group, its $50. This is just a example of what I'm thinking.
This idea is based on your doctor and the facility managing your care, not insurance companies.
Also, a CMS expert social worker should be employed by every doctor to help patients sign up for what they already qualify for and help them( but this will never happen because CMS will pay you $3 for what cost $15 to do). Some damn people are just stupid. I'm sorry. But they are.

These are just some of my thoughts. I'm kind of scramly right now, tired.

Thanks for either being brave or not so stuck up to talk to me about it.

oh and dont forget to try to have all your services done at your local hospital. I'm serious when I tell you that all these out paitient service centers are just there to get rich while the hospitals struggle. I could tell you sad stories about what these places do and we end up paying for because we care about patients and they shove the cost off on us. But I really cant talk about that too much.

I just hope that all of you will think about how much a hospital does for our community compared to all the private OP service centers. And that you will take the time to go into a hospital for your care,and I dont mean only the ER. Hospitals offer OP services as well.

ok, enough said..........................................

catfriedlegs


You are saying go to hospital for treatment. Just look at the phone book and call dr. for appointment and make sure for example they are at Baptist Towers?

I got some pain probs right now - would it be better to go thru Baptist Towers then?

Guest


Guest
Azadeh wrote:You are saying go to hospital for treatment. Just look at the phone book and call dr. for appointment and make sure for example they are at Baptist Towers?

I got some pain probs right now - would it be better to go thru Baptist Towers then?


You dont have to go through Baptist. I'm not saying that.

I'm talking about places that have free standing labs, be it MRI's , lab work, Gastro etc. They are out there because they want to make money, big money because all they do is move people in and out like cows getting shots.

When hospitals offer the same types of services with one BIG exception, hospitals also provide continued care for the very ill. They also provide all the great healthcare events around the area.

You should choose the place of your liking. I am just reminding people that these free standing greedy money makers hurt your local hospitals. ALL of them.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum