Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SeaoatS PkrBum

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 2:29 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Yesterday's Catch at Cape San Blas.

17 in one throw while wading.

SeaoatS PkrBum  Screen10

2SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 2:54 pm

2seaoat

I love the kids taking it all in.....I cannot get enough about teaching the grandkids about nature, fish, animals, the river, and life. I have my daughter's dog who is just dying because she cannot run on the islands because of flooding. Now we have the grandsons coming Friday, and this is the main causeway to the islands which has been seriously damaged and has trees across the roads. It will take me two weeks of gravel delivery and bobcat work to clear the islands. I cannot even fish with the grandsons because of this flood:

SeaoatS PkrBum  20170711

3SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 4:22 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sorry about the flooding.

4SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 5:01 pm

RealLindaL

What became of all the fish, Joani?

5SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 5:23 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

They had a fish fry.....

6SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 6:43 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Dayum... that's like the old days. Great throw..!!

7SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 7:09 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:Dayum... that's like the old days. Great throw..!!

My dad loved to fish.... and he really liked to mullet fish. I learned to throw the net and the first time my dad saw me throw I caught 8 mullet, throwing off the Coast Guard dock, he was thrilled. Can't imagine what he would think of his granddaughter catching 17 while wading.

8SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 7:45 pm

2seaoat

Those simple family memories stay with a child until they die. I remember going to my Aunt's farm outside Birmingham before interstate 65 was built and catching bass with my aunt and uncle. When the interstate was put in we lost our fishing pond. I remember my Aunt would go on a road trip and fish the Tennessee River up by Northern Alabama, and how big the catfish were. My grandson caught his first catfish with my wife, and my children caught their first fish at Lay lake south of Birmingham. I would take them walleye fishing when they got a little older, and they both enjoy fishing with their kids. The simple pleasures of the outdoors shared with people in youth last a lifetime.

Now I was a bit of a dick. My two friends took all our kids deep sea fishing on a terrible stormy day which I told them it was a bad idea. They insisted on going, I said I would stay with the four women and watch the OJ trial and drink. We played cards and I made these powerful tropical drinks.....well the OJ trial had us laughing at the showboating, and we started this uncontrollable laughing as we saw that it was pouring rain outside as we played cards. The more it rained, the more we drank and laughed. By the time the eight of them got back, they were soaked and they had caught one trigger fish. Our kids were disgusted with us, and the guys just got piszed as we laughed our aszes off and told them about our day. To this day the kids and the two idiots who went out in that storm laugh about how piszed the guys were as we were loaded and laughing at them. Twenty years later, it still brings tears to everybody when we tell the story of the good dads going fishing in a fricking monsoon.

9SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 8:18 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Lol....we have had our share of a few bad fishing experiences. I fished one night with my dad in February. He had a gill net we would set. The net got stuck and dad told me to give the net a tug as he drove forward... I fell into the net. I went into the bow and changed clothes. I was freezing and wrapped in  a dry coat. Fishing continued and we caught a school of Bonita and had to remove each one from the net...of course it tore the net up. We ended the fishing. Dad went to start the boat and the motor stalled. While starting it by hand dad caught me in the head with his elbow....omg. I fell in again. We got to the dock and I got out, still dizzy from his elbow I walked off the side of the dock. Never been so cold in my life. Home a 4am.

The sad part....the boat was my ski boat. I bought it and dad said we could use it for skiing and fishing. A couple of days later dad called and told me he fixed the boat. What? It wasn't broken! I got to mom and dad's and dad was so proud. He built a platform on the back of the boat, bought 1000' mullet net and of course moved the motor to the middle of the boat.

You can't ski with the motor in the middle

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 7/27/2017, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't finish the post)

10SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 8:30 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Joanimaroni wrote:

My dad loved to fish.... and he really liked to mullet fish. I learned to throw the net and the first time my dad saw me throw I caught 8 mullet, throwing off the Coast Guard dock, he was thrilled. Can't imagine what he would think of his granddaughter catching 17 while wading.

I know my grandfather took pride in my love for fishing too. It seems to skip generations in my family. Hopefully I can turn my grandkids into fishermen... if I'm lucky enough to get some... lol. But my sister has 3 grandkids that I'm working on already... and my brothers children are still young. I can't wait to take them all to pcola... I know every fishing spot and when what fish will be there. Mmmm good.

11SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 8:33 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Joanimaroni wrote:Lol....we have had our share of a few bad fishing experiences. I fished one night with my dad in February. He had a gill net we would set. The net got stuck and dad told me to give the net a tug as he drove forward... I fell into the net. I went into the bow and changed clothes. I was freezing and wrapped in  a dry coat. Fishing continued and we caught a school of Bonita and had to remove each one from the net...of course it tore the net up. We ended the fishing. Dad went to start the boat and the motor stalled. While starting it by hand dad caught me in the head with his elbow....omg. I fell in again. We got to the dock and I got out, still dizzy from his elbow I walked off the side of the dock. Never been so cold in my life. Home a 4am.

The sad part....the boat was my ski boat. I bought it and dad said we could use it for skiing and fishing. A couple of days later dad called and told me he fixed the boat. What? It wasn't broken! I got to mom and dad's and dad was so proud. He built a platform on the back of the boat, bought 1000' mullet net and of course moved the motor to the middle of the boat.

It'd be fun to talk fishing someday when I'm down. If I drank beer too I'd need designated driver... lol.

12SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 8:51 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Lol....we have had our share of a few bad fishing experiences. I fished one night with my dad in February. He had a gill net we would set. The net got stuck and dad told me to give the net a tug as he drove forward... I fell into the net. I went into the bow and changed clothes. I was freezing and wrapped in  a dry coat. Fishing continued and we caught a school of Bonita and had to remove each one from the net...of course it tore the net up. We ended the fishing. Dad went to start the boat and the motor stalled. While starting it by hand dad caught me in the head with his elbow....omg. I fell in again. We got to the dock and I got out, still dizzy from his elbow I walked off the side of the dock. Never been so cold in my life. Home a 4am.

It'd be fun to talk fishing someday when I'm down. If I drank beer too I'd need designated driver... lol.

I'll drive.

13SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 8:54 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

I know my grandfather took pride in my love for fishing too. It seems to skip generations in my family. Hopefully I can turn my grandkids into fishermen... if I'm lucky enough to get some... lol. But my sister has 3 grandkids that I'm working on already... and my brothers children are still young. I can't wait to take them all to pcola... I know every fishing spot and when what fish will be there. Mmmm good.

I delighted in seeing three of mine sitting on the dock for several hours sharing one rod and reel with an old stingray grub. 11,10, and 5....priceless.

14SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 9:09 pm

2seaoat

You had me in tears.....it sounded like you were having a day like I usually have. No wonder you were a daddy's girl.....those are some great memories.

15SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/27/2017, 9:53 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I would do it all over again to fish with my dad one more time. Sad

My day off was Friday...when the kids were in school dad and I fished almost every Friday, weather permitting. So great to fish and then cook the fish right on the dock.

16SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/28/2017, 5:09 pm

I love you

Some of my best memories of my Dad. Thanks for the stories, guys.

17SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/28/2017, 5:26 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SheWrites wrote:I love you

Some of my best memories of my Dad.  Thanks for the stories, guys.

Feels good!

18SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/31/2017, 8:56 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Speckle trout were running yesterday....my grandkids were fishing. My 11 year old granddaughter caught a 20" spec on her rod then my 10 grandson caught one, a little smaller.

My 12 year old granddaughter caught a red fish....as she was bringing it in 3 more huge reds were chasing her bait.....has she was pulling it up the fish got away....lot of commotion on the dock....everyone was running to help her.

The 4 year old was in charge of the bait bucket and kept the big kids supplied with the bait they caught. The 2 year old....wandering around with her suntan lotion applying lotion to everyone. Ended with a big fish fry.

19SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/31/2017, 12:05 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:Speckle trout were running yesterday....my grandkids were fishing. My 11 year old granddaughter caught a 20" spec on her rod then my 10 grandson caught one,  a little smaller.

My 12 year  old granddaughter caught a red fish....as she was bringing it in 3 more huge reds were chasing her bait.....has she was pulling it up the fish got away....lot of commotion on the dock....everyone was running to help her.

The 4 year old was in charge of the bait bucket and kept the big kids supplied with the bait they caught. The 2 year old....wandering around with her suntan lotion applying lotion to everyone. Ended with a big fish fry.
s

Sounds like the best of days!

When Daddy would take us fishing at Alabama Point I would catch the pin fish for bait. He'd tell his friends, "You'd think she caught a marlin!" LOL I miss his positive support. Laughing Laughing Thursday is his birthday so I'll take some flowers to his grave. I'll tell him I've got some friends who love fishing like we always did. Wink

Oh...there's a kids "Pin Fish Tournament" at Bluewater Bay soon in Niceville area. I just love that. I might have to go watch.

20SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/31/2017, 12:34 pm

2seaoat

Fishing is such an inexpensive family time event where the family turns off the tv and actually starts having fun with simple pleasures. Honestly, I have not been really able to fish this summer because of declining health but to see the excitement of the kids and to hear both of you talk about your fathers with such enduring love, it makes me very happy that I have spent that time with my children and grandchildren.

On Garcon point my wife and I used to kayak Indian and Trout Bayou. I always wondered how good the trout was which came out of the bayou as it evidently was named after the trout. It has been over five years since I have cleaned a catch and eaten it as my general rule is do not fish unless you plan on eating those legal fish. I mostly have been catching and releasing, but I do not like that because the channel cats swallow hooks and when I carefully remove the same, I worry that I have just killed them for no good reason. The small mouth bass and walleye you catch their lip and the hook removal is much less life threatening. I guess as I see my own mortality, I just do not want to take the life of another animal without eating it. I have not even chased off the raccoon with my gun since being sick, and the only good thing about this three week flood is that the nuisance raccoons have been swept away. It usually takes two to three years after multi week flooding for them to come back. Here is our main causeway which i spread gravel and began repairing as the water receded. Mrs seaoat is putting the concrete blocks back in place and I will get four yards of concrete to pour a new curb on our first of four causeways......we will be busy for the rest of the summer repairing.

SeaoatS PkrBum  20170712

21SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/31/2017, 12:38 pm

2seaoat

Oh...there's a kids "Pin Fish Tournament" at Bluewater Bay soon in Niceville area. I just love that. I might have to go watch.

I have this hunch that grandma will be taking the little one to this in a couple years.

22SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/31/2017, 1:20 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Fishing is such an inexpensive family time event where the family turns off the tv and actually starts having fun with simple pleasures.  Honestly, I have not been really able to fish this summer because of declining health but to see the excitement of the kids and to hear both of you talk about your fathers with such enduring love, it makes me very happy that I have spent that time with my children and grandchildren.

On Garcon point my wife and I used to kayak Indian and Trout Bayou.  I always wondered how good the trout was which came out of the bayou as it evidently was named after the trout.  It has been over five years since I have cleaned a catch and eaten it as my general rule is do not fish unless you plan on eating those legal fish.  I mostly have been catching and releasing, but I do not like that because the channel cats swallow hooks and when I carefully remove the same, I worry that I have just killed them for no good reason.   The small mouth bass and walleye you catch their lip and the hook removal is much less life threatening.   I guess as I see my own mortality, I just do not want to take the life of another animal without eating it.   I have not even chased off the raccoon with my gun since being sick, and the only good thing about this three week flood is that the nuisance raccoons have been swept away.  It usually takes two to three years after multi week flooding for them to come back.   Here is our main causeway which i spread gravel and began repairing as the water receded.  Mrs seaoat is putting the concrete blocks back in place and I will get four yards of concrete to pour a new curb on our first of four causeways......we will be busy for the rest of the summer repairing.

SeaoatS PkrBum  20170712

Beautiful picture Seaoat.

23SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/31/2017, 1:21 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

My 10 year old was do excited when he caught a pin fish....but beaming with pride when he caught the Spec.

24SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/31/2017, 1:43 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Pin fish make great live bait for the specs. The big ones can swallow a six inch pin fish no prob.

25SeaoatS PkrBum  Empty Re: SeaoatS PkrBum 7/31/2017, 3:21 pm

2seaoat wrote:Oh...there's a kids "Pin Fish Tournament" at Bluewater Bay soon in Niceville area. I just love that. I might have to go watch.

I have this hunch that grandma will be taking the little one to this in a couple years.

She will be just the right size to enjoy when she returns from Japan in three years. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum