Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ANOTHER FAILURE for Obamacare. If it was your pet dog, you'd tearfully put it out of its misery.

+2
dumpcare
Markle
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

ANOTHER FAILURE for Obamacare. If it was your pet dog, you'd tearfully put it out of its misery.

Aetna’s withdrawals from health exchanges raise questions about Obamacare’s viability

Published: Aug 16, 2016 4:12 p.m. ET

When Aetna Inc. announced that it would withdraw from three-quarters of the states where it offers Affordable Care Act exchange plans, the move wasn’t entirely unexpected: The company had signaled its woes early this month.

But the decision by one of the nation’s largest health insurers AET, -0.20% to withdraw from 11 of 15 state exchanges follows similar moves by UnitedHealth Group Inc. UNH, -0.38% , the largest U.S. health insurer, and Humana Inc. HUM, +0.00% , another large health insurer.

The string of bad news marks a tidal shift for the ACA. Where insurers, including Aetna, had once planned on exchange expansions next year, many are instead curtailing their coverage.

Read more: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-aetnas-exchange-withdrawal-could-mark-a-turning-point-for-obamacare-2016-08-16

Designed to fail... cause the intention sounded noble and ultimately our ruling elite knows what's best for us.

dumpcare

Only 1 reason Aetna is pulling out and that is in retaliation because the DOJ opposed their merger with Humana which would have made them the largest Medicare Advantage carrier in the U.S., very profitable to both parties. One of the states that prodded the DOJ to block was none other than Florida. This pullout of the market also effects anyone who has coventry which is owned by Aetna. Across the panhandle unless some small unknown comes in Fl Blue will be the only choice on exchange.

Do we get to blame this on capitalism and the free market yet? I'd be surprised if Krugman hasn't.

dumpcare

Nope it was put together all wrong. But I agree it is the death spiral or life support left up to the next Pres to straighten out. We always agreed 3 or 4 years would be it.

Many mid level executives at insurance company's said early on that by 2017 the blues in each state would end up with the lions share and they believed that was planned to migrate to a single payer down the road. One thing they got right the blues in many states are the dominant players.

2seaoat

What failure.......15 million more people with insurance, no preexisting conditions, and folks can keep their kids insured to 26.....Thank you President Obama for doing something which no President could get done since the Truman administration.

dumpcare

It's estimated at 11 million and yes oatie it is failing, face it I have. I'd like to see figures month to month on how many drop their policy's after major procedures and yes it's happening every month. I would venture to guess that people who had insurance before this all started and cannot qualify for an advanced tax credit cannot afford to keep it any longer. You can't have a law enforced when no one is participating.

The no preexisting conditions is what killed it. Just like I said above people having procedures drop it after their procedures completed. Happens all the time. In fact this last open enrollment when someone called me and said I have to have surgery in January or February or I think I need to see a doctor, I ask, do you have coverage now or have you had it? If they answer no I try my hardest to get rid of them I hate being paid in April for something I wrote in November and then the commission being taken back in June because the clown dropped it after their surgery in Jan or Feb. Pre X should have had at least a 9 month waiting period.

It just wasn't a well thought out plan.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

ppaca wrote:It's estimated at 11 million and yes oatie it is failing, face it I have. I'd like to see figures month to month on how many drop their policy's after major procedures and yes it's happening every month. I would venture to guess that people who had insurance before this all started and cannot qualify for an advanced tax credit cannot afford to keep it any longer. You can't have a law enforced when no one is participating.

The no preexisting conditions is what killed it. Just like I said above people having procedures drop it after their procedures completed. Happens all the time. In fact this last open enrollment when someone called me and said I have to have surgery in January or February or I think I need to see a doctor, I ask, do you have coverage now or have you had it? If they answer no I try my hardest to get rid of them I hate being paid in April for something I wrote in November and then the commission being taken back in June because the clown dropped it after their surgery in Jan or Feb. Pre X should have had at least a 9 month waiting period.

That's crazy, I hate to hear that people do that. I guess they think the surgery they're scheduled for will be the last medical care they will ever need?

Do you think one reason for setting the ACA up the way it was, was so it could be shown to fail thus requiring we go to a one payer system?

boards of FL

boards of FL

ppaca wrote:It's estimated at 11 million and yes oatie it is failing, face it I have. I'd like to see figures month to month on how many drop their policy's after major procedures and yes it's happening every month. I would venture to guess that people who had insurance before this all started and cannot qualify for an advanced tax credit cannot afford to keep it any longer. You can't have a law enforced when no one is participating.

It was the best plan that could be passed given republican legistlative constraints.

Ideally, we would have had the Public Option where those without health insurance could simply buy into a medicare-like plan at any age.  That was the original plan and what Obama campaigned on though Republicans wouldn't have any of that, so we get compromise in the ACA instead.

More ideally, we would have medicare for all.

Markle

Markle

ppaca wrote:Only 1 reason Aetna is pulling out and that is in retaliation because the DOJ opposed their merger with Humana which would have made them the largest Medicare Advantage carrier in the U.S., very profitable to both parties. One of the states that prodded the DOJ to block was none other than Florida. This pullout of the market also effects anyone who has coventry which is owned by Aetna. Across the panhandle unless some small unknown comes in Fl Blue will be the only choice on exchange.

Yep, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Aetna dropping 500+ counties.

“Following a thorough business review and in light of a second-quarter pretax loss of $200 million and total pretax losses of more than $430 million since January 2014 in our individual products, we have decided to reduce our individual public exchange presence in 2017, which will limit our financial exposure moving forward,” Aetna chairman Mark Bertolini said in a statement. “More than 40 payers of various sizes have similarly chosen to stop selling plans in one or more rating areas in the individual public exchanges over the 2015 and 2016 plan years, collectively exiting hundreds of rating areas in more than 30 states. As a strong supporter of public exchanges as a means to meet the needs of the uninsured, we regret having to make this decision.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2016/08/15/aetna-will-leave-obamacare-patients-in-more-than-500-u-s-counties/#202752e55857

dumpcare

I've read all that dorkle it has everything to do with the DOJ and their stalled merger. They may have pulled from a few losing country's anyway but they had never planned to do this. These financial pieces I've been reading do not tell the whole story. I don't know what's in and neither pretend what's in your real estate journals and don't you dare as an outsider pretend to know what is printed in insurance journals.

dumpcare

othershoe1030 wrote:

That's crazy, I hate to hear that people do that. I guess they think the surgery they're scheduled for will be the last medical care they will ever need?

Do you think one reason for setting the ACA up the way it was, was so it could be shown to fail thus requiring we go to a one payer system?

It sort of looks that way, but they had no way of knowing who would be the next Pres at the time.

dumpcare

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/08/17/490202346/aetna-ceo-to-justice-department-block-our-deal-and-well-drop-out-of-exchanges?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160817

dumpcare

https://amp.businessinsider.com/aetna-humana-merger-reason-for-leaving-obamacare-2016-8

ppaca, I've often wondered if medical insurance could be purchased as we do auto insurance. Buy the required coverage by law, but then add how much coverage we want. By pass the employer and it be a direct customer/insurance situation. And one more question, what do you think of Trump's plan of insurance purchasing "crossing state lines." Do we need an overhaul in the purchasing power of insurance to the individual? What would be your "perfect world" idea of how citizens obtain health care coverage.

Thanks. I'm heading out of town but I'll check back to see your answer.

dumpcare

SheWrites wrote:ppaca, I've often wondered if medical insurance could be purchased as we do auto insurance.  Buy the required coverage by law, but then add how much coverage we want.  By pass the employer and it be a direct customer/insurance situation.  And one more question, what do you think of Trump's plan of insurance purchasing "crossing state lines."   Do we need an overhaul in the purchasing power of insurance to the individual? What would be your "perfect world" idea of how citizens obtain health care coverage.  

Thanks.  I'm heading out of town but I'll check back to see your answer.  

That is one way to help fix it, take the 10 mandated essential health benefits and let one pick and choose which ones they want and make them pay extra. Trumps plan would never work you cannot purchase insurance in let's say Kansas and expect a provider network in Florida. Be virtually impossible to set networks up across the nation.

Not sure what you meant to by pass employer? Most I deal with are individuals. I have lost most of my employer group plans.

Two of the mandates definitely should be add on's, maternity and free physicals plus blood work.

Markle

Markle

ppaca wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

It sort of looks that way, but they had no way of knowing who would be the next Pres at the time.

Of course, the plan was for Obamacare to fail. Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama has stated that a single payer system was his ultimate goal but that we had to get there by steps.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
ppaca wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Of course, the plan was for Obamacare to fail.  Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama has stated that a single payer system was his ultimate goal but that we had to get there by steps.

What was dumb was enacting a healthcare plan that continued to pay profits to insurers -- who wouldn't be in the picture at all in a single payer plan. Can't get to single payer quick enough!!! Fuck profits from people being sick. Healthcare should be a right, not a privilege based on one's ability to pay. As it is done in the rest of the civilized world.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum