Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Andy Marlette cartoon in todays paper.

+2
catfriedlegs
no stress
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

no stress

no stress

The PNJ just lost the subscriptions of every firehouse in escambia county and the city over this racist cartoon.

no stress

no stress

Andy Marlette cartoon in todays paper. Bilde10

catfriedlegs

I'm shocked that they would even print something like that. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Yella

Yella

Azadeh wrote:I'm shocked that they would even print something like that. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

It is in poor taste, I guess, but he is a cartoonist, so maybe he got out of bounds on this one. Think of all the cartoons and drawings he has done in the past few years he has been with the PNJ. He has done some really great things and we are lucky to have him.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Forgive me for asking but whats the story behind the cartoon? Guess I missed it some where along the way.

this cartoon is way out of bounds. it basically calls the firemen racist.

and remember folks, even if its a political cartoon, children will be looking at it and asking questions.

some people wont be happy till they have a race war.

I looked it up and agree, very bad taste. Has the News Journal no shame? I doubt it.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/42-20713847/civil-rights-protesters-being-sprayed-by-fire

Civil Rights Protesters Being Sprayed by Fire Hoses in Birmingham
"No man is an island, Kelly Ingram Park, Birmingham, Alabama. 1963 The police and firemen used a brute show of force to try to stop the ongoing demonstrations. It didn't work on this day. Rather than fleeing, the protestors hung on to each other and were able to stand up to the full fury of the water, though not without casualties. I have never witnessed such cruelty. There was almost as much moisture behind the lens as in front. I gave a print of this picture to Dr. King. He studied it and said, I am startled that out of so much pain some beauty came. "

Markle

Markle

Andy Marlette must have been desperate for an idea. This time he played right into the hands of the race baiters. I'll bet Jesse Jackson, Sr. and Jr., the Rev. Wright, the Rev. Al Sharpton and others are thrilled.

They didn't even have to get out of bed and white cartoonist stirs the race pot all by himself.

catfriedlegs

Markle wrote:Andy Marlette must have been desperate for an idea. This time he played right into the hands of the race baiters. I'll bet Jesse Jackson, Sr. and Jr., the Rev. Wright, the Rev. Al Sharpton and others are thrilled.

They didn't even have to get out of bed and white cartoonist stirs the race pot all by himself.

You sound smug. So give yourself a pat on the back.

Yella

Yella

Azadeh wrote:
Markle wrote:Andy Marlette must have been desperate for an idea. This time he played right into the hands of the race baiters. I'll bet Jesse Jackson, Sr. and Jr., the Rev. Wright, the Rev. Al Sharpton and others are thrilled.

He is also smirking,which is uncool. So no pats for him.

Markle

Markle

Azadeh wrote:

No smugness at all, simply disgust. Sheer, pathetic desperation. If Progressives can't find anything today, they'll reach back 50 years in their vile efforts.

no stress

no stress

http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wear_vid_23117.shtml

no stress

no stress

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120619/NEWS01/306190011/News-Journal-cartoon-draws-ire?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

I emailed pnj exec editor Dick Schneider re this issue & this was his reply:

June 18, 2012

John:

If the criticism is that Andy’s metaphor of an historical even that was related to newspapers in Alabama doesn’t work, I would disagree but respect the complaint.

If the criticism is offered on a literal interpretation of the cartoon, that somehow the layoffs at Alabama newspaper will result in firefighters hosing black children, a remarkable jump of assumption, then I would suggest the reader missed the point entirely.

Richard A. Schneider
Executive Editor / Director of
Content and Readership Development
Pensacola News Journal and pnj.com
101 E. Romana St., Pensacola FL 32502
850.435.8514 (office) 850.435.8633 (fax)
dschneider@pnj.com

Yella

Yella

Pcola News Journal wrote:I emailed pnj exec editor Dick Schneider re this issue & this was his reply:

June 18, 2012

John:

If the criticism is that Andy’s metaphor of an historical even that was related to newspapers in Alabama doesn’t work, I would disagree but respect the complaint.

If the criticism is offered on a literal interpretation of the cartoon, that somehow the layoffs at Alabama newspaper will result in firefighters hosing black children, a remarkable jump of assumption, then I would suggest the reader missed the point entirely.

Richard A. Schneider
dschneider@pnj.com

I think Schneider made his point.

Yella wrote:
Pcola News Journal wrote:I emailed pnj exec editor Dick Schneider re this issue & this was his reply:

June 18, 2012

John:

Richard A. Schneider
dschneider@pnj.com

Almost.. if the papers were more honest and straight forward in their articles it would have..many of them have an agenda from the higher ups these days and are slanted views on most issues. You should read the times picayune after a Saints game..if you didn't see the score you would swear they won games that were lost just by how it's reported.

Last edited by UPS on 6/19/2012, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

If the readers missed the point then why is there a lot of pissed off firefighters at the moment. I'm sure that every one of them did not miss the "point".

polecat

polecat

Why has everybody have there panties in a twist, do you turn off your TV when they show old footage of people getting hit with the fire hose.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Yella wrote:

June 18, 2012

John:

Richard A. Schneider
dschneider@pnj.com

I like the phrase "remarkable jump of assumption." I'll have to keep that one on file for future use. Cool

As far as the cartoon goes: When I first saw it, I was shocked. However, I didn't know about the specific historical facts that inspired Marlette to draw this cartoon, so obviously I'm one of those who didn't get the point. After I read Schneider's comments in the PNJ this morning, it made sense, though I do think the cartoon is distasteful.

The PNJ assumed that a certain level of knowledge existed in its customers. This wasn't the case. Perhaps the PNJ made a remarkable jump of assumption when it assumed all of its readers were familiar with or recalled the historical event. I do hope firefighters were somewhat mollified by Schneider's explanation, but I can understand the firefighters' being offended by the cartoon.

I do love Andy Marlette's work, though. His splendid cartoon of guvner Scottie as the Wizard of Oz still tickles me when I think of it.

no stress

no stress

What the cartoon said to me is that without the eyes of the news media watching me I will go back to being the racist, minority hating person that I was in the sixties. Kind of pompous on their part to allude that they were instrumental in stomping out racism and now that they are being laid off in droves racism will return in proportions like we have never seen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum