Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Johnson & Johnson to pay $72M to woman who died with cancer

+2
Floridatexan
Joanimaroni
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Health giant Johnson & Johnson was ordered to pay $72 million in damages to the family of an Alabama woman who died from ovarian cancer allegedly caused by using the company’s Baby Powder and other products that contained talcum for feminine hygiene.

A St. Louis jury reached the verdict Monday night, awarding the family of Jackie Fox, $10 million in actual damages and $62 million in punitive damages, AP reported.

After her cancer diagnosis, Fox, who lived in Birmingham, Ala., joined dozens of women suing the company for what they said was a failure to inform consumers about the dangers of talc, which is found in baby powder.

During the trial, Fox’s lawyers claimed that the company was aware of the possible risk of using products containing talcum for feminine hygienic use.

A 1997 internal memo from a company medical consultant said "anybody who denies” the risk of using hygienic talc and ovarian cancer is "denying the obvious in the face of all evidence to the contrary,” AP reported.

Fox’s son, Marvin Salter of Jacksonville, Fla., took over the claim after his mother’s death in 2015, two years after her cancer diagnosis, AP reported.

An attorney for Fox said this is the first claim case to result in monetary compensation.

Carol Goodrich, a Johnson & Johnson spokesperson, said the company stands by the talc used in all “global products” and they are “evaluating” their legal options.

“The recent U.S. verdict goes against decades of sound science proving the safety of talc as a cosmetic ingredient in multiple products, and while we sympathize with the family of the plaintiff, we strongly disagree with the outcome,” Goodrich said in a statement.

Nora Freeman Engstrom, a Stanford University law professor, told AP the decision "doesn't bode well” for the company, which is facing 1,200 still-pending lawsuits.

The company is expected to appeal the verdict, AP reported.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Very sad.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I know talc is dangerous when inhaled, which is one reason it's fallen out of favor for use on infants. $72 million sure seems excessive.

RealLindaL

This is very interesting to me, though yes, very sad for the victims.  When I lived in Connecticut I had a terrific young doctor I really respected.  One day  I read an article in a well-known magazine (can't recall which one) about the link between talc and ovarian cancer -- this was probably right around that 1997 time frame -- and at my next appointment mentioned it to my doc.   He looked incredulous and said, "Where do you GET these things???!!"  (As if I always brought him odd info, which I couldn't ever remember having done before, but oh well.)  Anyway, I found the article again sometime later and brought it to him to see for himself.  He admitted it was a credible source but still shook his head in wonderment.  

And hey, I understood that.  How, we both wondered, does externally-applied talcum powder make its way into a woman's internal organs, if that's what happens??  Or is it caused by inhaling the talc?  I never did figure that out myself, but admittedly haven't researched it since then.  

Anyway, I converted to J&J's cornstarch-based baby powder for my own use at that time.   I noticed on a recent trip to CVS, however, that they  had put the J&J cornstarch powder on clearance.  I hope THAT product has not become a problem as well...

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Having been an ER nurse...some women put so much powder down there...it would surprise you.  So that amount and having intercourse yes it can get up there.

Sal

Sal

Jebus ....

.... you guys are freaking me out ....

.... does this mean I can no longer talc my schweddy balls?????

Reading another article on the case and "Shower to Shower" was also used by this woman. J&J sold that portion of the company.

Hmmm...

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Salinsky wrote:Jebus ....

.... you guys are freaking me out ....

.... does this mean I can no longer talc my schweddy balls?????
Are you saying your wife allows you to powder up in the house?

RealLindaL

Too funny, you guys.    Laughing

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RealLindaL wrote:Too funny, you guys.    Laughing
Well, Sal never answered. I put my foot down....massive powering has to be done OUTSIDE.

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Too funny, you guys.    Laughing
Well, Sal never answered. I put my foot down....massive powering has to be done OUTSIDE.

Hmm...wish I could do the same but I don't really want to pick that battle with my husband.  As it is, pow[d]er ends up all over the place in the master bath, including sometimes on the clothes in the walk-in closet in there.   It's annoying but not worth ticking him off, which such an edict would surely do.
Of course, there's massive, and then there's massive.   Smile

Sal

Sal

Shake and bake, baby ...

... shake and bake.

A gallon size ziplock, no muss, no fuss.

RealLindaL

Salinsky wrote:Shake and bake, baby ...

... shake and bake.  

Not sure I can picture that -- and definitely not sure I want to.  Ha.

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:

... shake and bake.  

TMI

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

knothead wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

... shake and bake.  

TMI

Seriously. Embarassed

2seaoat

I have never heard of someone baby powdering themselves. WTF.....why would somebody do that? Might as well get a bag of cat liter after a shower and dump the same on your body. I cannot believe people are powdering themselves. I have been in a lot of athletic locker rooms and I can honestly say I have never heard of a male or female putting baby powder on.......I avoided this thread because I thought it was strange that people would powder, but now I see they are serious.......

Sal

Sal

Who's serious?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum