Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oscar Nominations Are Out and the Big Surprise is ...

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

... I've actually seen three of them!

That's a record for me, and I plan on seeing a fourth - The Big Short.

My opinions of the nominees;

The Martian - good but not great

Room - very disturbing but some great acting

Mad Max Fury Road - loved it!  This is why some movies demand to be seen on the big screen

The Big Short - want to see it

Brooklyn - never heard of it

Spotlight - I'll watch that one on TV

Bridge of Spies - I've had enough of Tom Hanks for one lifetime

The Revenant - I'll probably watch it if I have nothing better to do

I thght fury road was average. The story line was predictable... almost more like a remake than a sequel.

Sal

Sal

What story line?

Who needs a story line?

It was a cinematic spectacle of epic proportions.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

The Revenant was dirty, hard and painful to watch for almost 3 hours...it does make you appreciate a bathroom with a shower and not having little sticks, (arrows) tear violently into your vital organs....also glad there are no grizzly bears in Florida....

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:The Revenant was dirty, hard and painful to watch for almost 3 hours...it does make you appreciate a bathroom with a shower and not having little sticks, (arrows) tear violently into your vital organs....also glad there are no grizzly bears in Florida....

Yeah ...

... that description is pretty much what I'd expected.

And, I'm really not that keen on spending $12 for that kinda experience.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The Golden Globes nominated Big Short for Best Comedy.
And it also did the same for The Martian.

Neither one are comedies. 

So don't avoid Big Short because somebody tells you it's a comedy.  It's not.
It is the best film of the year though.  Well maybe except for Revenant.  Have'nt seen that yet.  But that would be the only possible competition.

And I guarantee you Steve Carell will get the best actor award,  both Oscars and Golden Globes.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well I'll be damned.  I just looked and Carrell wasn't even nominated.
What a load of bullshit.  What they should have done is dispensed with the competition and given him the award outright.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

The bear deserves the Oscar, although DiCaprio played the part of a bear chew toy very well....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:The bear deserves the Oscar, although DiCaprio played the part of bear food very well....

It's that racist hollywood.  They're bigoted towards the human race.  Nothing but a bunch of human supremacists.

Last edited by Bob on 1/14/2016, 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
And I guarantee you Steve Carell will get the best actor award,  both Oscars and Golden Globes.

I believe Matt Damon won the Golden Globe.

I'm gonna have to see The Hateful Eight, as well, for two reasons ...

1) I'm generally a fan of Tarantino films

2) On the same day I read a review calling it one of the best films of the past five years, and listened to a review on NPR calling it one of the worst films ever made.

I need to see what could elicit those sorta disparate responses.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:

I read a film critic blog a few weeks ago.   Somebody in that was speculating that the reason they put "Martian" in the comedy category,  was because they wanted to give Damon an acting award.
And by putting the movie into a lesser category than overall best picture,  that would provide less competition for Damon.

But I saw Hateful 8.  It's pure unadulterated Tarantino.  This time giving us his interpretation of the gritty "everybody is a gunslinging killer but what separates them is which ones have heart" western.   Except Tarantino keeps us guessing wrong about which have heart and which don't.  All the way up until the end.
And in the meantime,  it's as gory as a slasher film. 

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

I read a film critic blog a few weeks ago.   Somebody in that was speculating that the reason they put "Martian" in the comedy category,  was because they wanted to give Damon an acting award.
And by putting the movie into a lesser category than overall best picture,  that would provide less competition for Damon.

But I saw Hateful 8.  It's pure unadulterated Tarantino.  This time giving us his interpretation of the gritty "everybody is a gunslinging killer but what separates them is which ones have heart" western.   Except Tarantino keeps us guessing wrong about which have heart and which don't.  All the way up until the end.
And in the meantime,  it's as gory as a slasher film. 

Yeah it's hilarious to put out a movie about Mars when we can't even land on the moon..a real human comedy...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Actually rather than a feature movie,  what I'm looking forward to most is the new network tv series which debuts shortly.  Called "Madoff".  With Richard Dreyfuss as Bernie Madoff.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum