Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thank god for El Nino. If it wasn't for that, the most powerful hurricane in recorded history could be in the Gulf instead of where it is now.

+2
Sal
Hospital Bob
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Screw gods and religion.  I've now constructed a little alter to El Nino and I pray to it everyday.

Sal

Sal

Nothing to see here, and Al Gore is fat.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal,  when the most powerful hurricane in recorded history is "nothing to see",  then I've really lived a sheltered life because I've never seen or heard of anything like this before.
This one would literally be a category 6 hurricane if the Saffir-Simpson scale had that on it.

Sal

Sal

In the winter, it gets cold, and Al Gore is fat.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:In the winter, it gets cold

Well that's kinda my point,  Sal.

We have cold every winter and hot every summer.  That has happened each and every one of the 6000 years since Jehova created the world.

But unless I'm missing something,  we haven't had a category 6 hurricane each and every year.  This is the very first one Jehova has ever created that we know about.
Sure,  way back when we were all living with the dinosaurs,  Jehova mighta put one on us then.  But they didn't have the internet then so there was no way to tell us about it.  I don't think they'd even invented smoke signals yet so they couldn't even tell the next tribe over about it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

We have about a thousand threads to talk about a handful of politicians running for office and regardless of how wonderful your idols Hillary and Sanders are,  I think an argument can be made that they aint something that happens only once in the history of the world.

But a category 6 hurricane comes along,  the first in history,  and Sal doesn't think that justifies even one thread.

You just can't make this shit up.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And by the way,  Al Gore may be fat,  but he wouldn't share your lack of enthusiasm for this.  I guarantee you he's telling people around him now that this hurricane is a result of global warming.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Where's seaoat.  I expected him to be telling us this hurricane is just a bunch of shit made up by the people throwing darts at donkeys.  lol

Sal

Sal

Satire ....

.... some people just don't get it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:Satire ....

If you had not told me,  I would never have suspected that was satire.
I'm not sure it's just a generational/age difference causing this one.  Because it's not like any other satire I've ever encountered. 
But then again it could be like the time I was forced to look at that Jackson Pollock "painting". 
They said because I didn't see any art in that is because I was a "philistine".

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:

If you had not told me,  I would never have suspected that was satire.
I'm not sure it's just a generational/age difference causing this one.  Because it's not like any other satire I've ever encountered. 
But then again it could be like the time I was forced to look at that Jackson Pollock "painting". 
They said because I didn't see any art in that is because I was a "philistine".

I'm not much of a Pollock fan, either, Bob...although I think I know where he was coming from.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hurricane-patricia-hits-mexico_562ac652e4b0ec0a3894a01f?ir=Green&section=green&utm_campaign=102315&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Alert-green&utm_content=FullStory&ncid=newsltushpmg00000003

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

MB dropped to 840. OMG!

2seaoat

That was a powerful storm. The mountains will greatly weaken it, but you could kiss Santa Rosa Island goodbye if that had hit Pensacola.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:Screw gods and religion.  I've now constructed a little alter to El Nino and I pray to it everyday.

It COULD be in the China Sea, Indian Ocean, Western Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean or maybe the Anatartic.

We have proven we can't with great certainty forecast the weather for the rest of the week.

We have proven that we CERTAINLY cannot forecast "climate" 10 years in advance although Al "Snake Oil Salesman" Gore and other of his lunatics have certainly tried and FAILED.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The fact that it was the most powerful ever recorded is not even the most remarkable thing about this one. 
It's that it went from tropical storm to "category 6" hurricane in less than 24 hours. 
Nothing before has ever even come close to doing that. 
Just because this time the landfall was in the middle of nowhere,  when El Nino plays out and the hurricanes return to the Gulf,  I don't want to be here for a category 6.   I lived here for 50 years with people the whole time warning me about "the Big One".  And then it finally came true,  Ivan.
But now they're telling me about a "MUCH BIGGER ONE!!!"  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:

I'm not much of a Pollock fan, either, Bob...although I think I know where he was coming from.  

I try to have an open mind,  Tex,  so I sincerely would like to know your take on where he was coming from.  Because his stature in the art world is such a mystery to me that I desperately want to better understand it.

I have no problem with anything when it comes to art.  Art is art.
But when somebody stands on a stepladder and dips a 3" paint brush into a bucket of paint and then slings it onto a canvas on the floor,  I draw the line.  And then when I find out the Australian Government paid a hundred million clams for it then I get ashamed of my whole species.
To me,  pseudo-art is sorta like pseudo-science.  It's pseudo.

2seaoat

A cat 5 hitting Pensacola would be the end......Everybody would pack up and go back to Mexico.

Markle

Markle

Satire...some people just cannot write it!

One of my favorite authors, Ernest Hemingway was a master.

If I may paraphrase a famous quote: "You sir, are not Ernest Hemingway.

A while back I saw where some English professor was trying diligently to get one of the other symbols on the standard keyboard universally accepted as a punctuation mark indicating the sentence is meant in sarcasm, or is facetious. Same as a period, question mark or exclamation mark. I think it would be a great idea.

It is always the AUTHOR'S responsibility to make their writings as clear and easy to comprehend as possible. If something isn't clear to the reader, or listener it is NOT the fault of the reader or listener, it is the fault of the writer or speak for not having made something clear.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Okay from now on when I'm doing sarcasm I'll put one of these right under it....  "@OK".  That way there won't be any mistaking it for something else.

@OK  lol

2seaoat

What idiocy........the whole point of satire is NOT knowing for sure.....people actually thought Swift was proposing eating Irish babies.....satire is a tool for Darwinian selection, and apparently Mr. Markle needed help.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

You know,  when we've finally reached a level of dumbing down which requires that we identify something as being sarcasm,  the whole idea of written communication becomes just another bastion of political correctness'ism.

Donald Trump may be bulllshitting us when he says the mexican government's gonna pay for a wall and all that nonsense.  But that isn't the thing we need to learn from the Trump show.  It's that he's the first really prominent individual to challenge this political correctness foolishness and make so many aware of it.
That redeems him on all the rest of his bullshit.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I was listening to one pundit yesterday explain something rather remarkable about Trump's abilities as a politician. 
He pointed out the genius of Trump challenging Jeb Bush the way he did.
What Trump knows is the last thing Jeb Bush wants to talk about is his brother because it puts him between a rock and a hard place.
If he defends his brother's presidency then that ties him to the Dubya administration and that's a definite negative.
But if he repudiates his brother,  since the Bush family is so tight that makes him look like somebody who's disloyal to the family and the electorate doesn't like that either.
It's a win win for Trump and he knows it.  lol

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Markle wrote:

Satire...some people just cannot write it!

One of my favorite authors, Ernest Hemingway was a master.

If I may paraphrase a famous quote:  "You sir, are not Ernest Hemingway.

A while back I saw where some English professor was trying diligently to get one of the other symbols on the standard keyboard universally accepted as a punctuation mark indicating the sentence is meant in sarcasm, or is facetious.  Same as a period, question mark or exclamation mark.  I think it would be a great idea.

It is always the AUTHOR'S responsibility to make their writings as clear and easy to comprehend as possible.  If something isn't clear to the reader, or listener it is NOT the fault of the reader or listener, it is the fault of the writer or speak for not having made something clear.

Hemmingway was NOT a satirist. Hemmingway's work was stark realism. Here are some famous satires:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8173.Greatest_Satires_of_All_Time

It shouldn't take a special punctuation mark to recognize satire. Good grief, what idiocy.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:You know,  when we've finally reached a level of dumbing down which requires that we identify something as being sarcasm,  the whole idea of written communication becomes just another bastion of political correctness'ism.

Donald Trump may be bulllshitting us when he says the mexican government's gonna pay for a wall and all that nonsense.  But that isn't the thing we need to learn from the Trump show.  It's that he's the first really prominent individual to challenge this political correctness foolishness and make so many aware of it.
That redeems him on all the rest of his bullshit.

No, Bob, that doesn't absolve him of his hateful remarks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum