Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Steve Jobs movie

3 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Steve Jobs movie Empty Steve Jobs movie 10/23/2015, 12:23 am

2seaoat

I saw this evening in Pace. I saw the parking lot full of school buses and I thought the movie which started at 830 was going to be sold out with kids who love Apple products filling the place. My wife and I were the only two human beings in the place until right before it started and another couple sat down. Four people in the theater. I asked what all the school buses were about and the told me about some football movie about Alabama. There were cards being handed out for student ministry and offers for people to guide us to Christ. I had a carcinoid attack and go into the handicap bathroom and in the sink is a wad of paper towels piled in the sink, and on the floor behind the partition was a plumber's glue can.......people had been huffing in the handicap bathroom......

It was the most bizarre movie experience I have had since I fell asleep at the movie Popeye. The movie was great. I was off the chart good, but my wife and I were greatly disappointed. They tried to explain Jobs conduct based upon him being adopted and driven. This simply denies the disease he had which killed him. The movie ended before he became ill. However, the disease is characterized by high hormone levels and fight/flight responses which cause extraordinary risk taking. At one point he acknowledges his flaws when talking with his daughter and says.....I was not made well. Again, the movie does not address so many things which were beyond his control and the endocrine cancer community fully understands......they just made him out as an aszhole.....and that never gave the chemical component of the brain as compared to the discretionary part of the brain credence. I would highly recommend this movie, but I may not recommend Pace to see it......huffing in this day and age, and people handing out religious literature in the lobby.......fricking twilight zone.

2Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/23/2015, 12:42 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Does the movie tell the story of how Jobs wrangled an invite to Xerox to see the Altos?  And how he got the idea for the GUI from the Altos which gave him the keys to Ft. Knox?  And how the suits at Xerox were too stupid to even see any potential in what their employees had invented?

3Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/23/2015, 12:52 am

2seaoat

I think woz in one of many arguments with Jobs mentioned stealing from xerox. I was greatly disappointed in the scope of the movie , and would characterize is similar to the movie Lincoln where they focused on one manageable period in his presidency without much lifelong context. You will see my complaint when you see the movie, but Daniels was great, and I feel the young lady from Titanic who played his assistant stole the show. It really is a very good movie and moving at times, but you cannot understand Jobs until you understand the disease which killed him, and how that disease changes people and drives people to perfection. I understand people thinking he was an aszhole, but he no more could control the same than a diabetic who lapses into a coma because of an imbalance. The man was dying in the hospital and wanted every mask invented to be reviewed by him to solve the imperfections of his o2 mask.

4Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/23/2015, 12:57 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I think woz in one of many arguments with Jobs mentioned stealing from xerox. 

He didn't need to steal it.  They handed it over to him on a silver platter and never even wanted him to pay for it.
The accounts I've read have the Xerox techs who invented it shocked that their bosses even let him on the premises.

It was one of the two biggest business blunders in American history.
The other being when IBM did the same thing for Bill Gates.

5Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/23/2015, 12:58 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Speaking of Woz,  here's what he has to say about the movie.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34188602

6Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/23/2015, 1:20 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A lot of haggling ensued based on what he was allowed to see and what was to be kept in secret from him. Many at Xerox thought this was a completely ludicrous deal. In the end, Xerox went ahead with it. Jobs was given a couple of tours at the end of which he ended up standing in front of the Xerox Alto, PARC's personal computer:
An engineer named Larry Tesler conducted the demonstration. He moved the cursor across the screen with the aid of a "mouse." Directing a conventional computer, in those days, meant typing in a command on the keyboard. Tesler just clicked on one of the icons on the screen. He opened and closed "windows," deftly moving from one task to another. He wrote on an elegant word-processing program, and exchanged e-mails with other people at PARC, on the world's first Ethernet network. Jobs had come with one of his software engineers, Bill Atkinson, and Atkinson moved in as close as he could, his nose almost touching the screen.
Jobs got a 'little bit' excited watching this presentation. He could not believe that Xerox wasn't doing much with this technology:
Jobs was pacing around the room, acting up the whole time," Tesler recalled. "He was very excited. Then, when he began seeing the things I could do onscreen, he watched for about a minute and started jumping around the room, shouting, 'Why aren't you doing anything with this? This is the greatest thing. This is revolutionary!'
The Xerox Alto went on sale in 1981. It was slow and underpowered. Soon after, Xerox withdrew from the personal computer market all together. Steve Jobs, meanwhile, went back to Apple and demanded that his team, which was working on the next generation of personal computer, change their thinking. He wanted menus, he wanted windows, he wanted a mouse!
If Xerox had known what it had and had taken advantage of its real opportunities," Jobs said, years later, "it could have been as big as I.B.M. plus Microsoft plus Xerox combined'and the largest high-technology company in the world.

7Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/23/2015, 7:21 am

2seaoat

my first computer was a xerox cpm based system which I bought in 1982 and I paid over two thousand dollars for the computer. The problem was I needed it for printing on regular typing paper, and you could get these awful large dot matrix printers which had a hand shake with the xerox but cost another two thousand dollars. The thing I did which was ahead of its time was take a smith corona electric typewriter hybrid which only cost 800 bucks and have a hand shake with my xerox personal computer. It had a separate disk reader. I told my wife to box it up in the original box and save it because someday it will be worth a great deal of money.........she tossed it on the last move......totally pissed, but in the end it really was a revolution in the early eighties.

8Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/23/2015, 7:27 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote: It had a separate disk reader.  I told my wife to box it up in the original box and save it because someday it will be worth a great deal of money.........she tossed it on the last move......totally pissed

There are only a handful of early production personal computers which have significant value.

The most well known ones are...

Altair 8800,  Altair 680  (the computers Bill Gates and Paul Allen quit college for to create the operating system).

Imsai 8080  (the computer Mathew Broderick used in "War Games")

Sol 20

Mark 8

and last but not least,  the Apple 1 (the first computers Wozniak and Jobs made in a garage.   The holy grail of vintage personal computers)

9Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/23/2015, 7:51 am

2seaoat

I had a tax prep software for the xerox computer and it revolutionized the ability to help people do their tax returns. At the time there were companies which were using mainframes and were quite lucrative using modems to centrally hold tax prep software......this changed the game in 1982.

10Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/24/2015, 11:15 am

2seaoat

Mr. Markle posted this on another thread:

It is always the AUTHOR'S responsibility to make their writings as clear and easy to comprehend as possible. If something isn't clear to the reader, or listener it is NOT the fault of the reader or listener, it is the fault of the writer or speak for not having made something clear.

This statement is the antithesis of Steve Jobs and his success. He believed in not being concerned with the clarity of the lowest common denominator to bring one down to a pedestrian level, but insisted that his audience rise to his vision. I found Mr. Markle's posting revealing.

11Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/24/2015, 4:16 pm

Vikingwoman

It depends on when Jobs started exhibiting his "asshole" behavior. If it was way before his cancer then you can't attribute it to that. From what i read it sounds like he was an ass when he was very young.

12Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/24/2015, 4:25 pm

2seaoat

It depends on when Jobs started exhibiting his "asshole" behavior. If it was way before his cancer then you can't attribute it to that. From what i read it sounds like he was an ass when he was very young.

Majority of NET tumors appear decades before the symptoms get bad and his hormone levels could have been high in his early twenties. In the mid fifties is when these things multiply and grow with a ferocity. My wife and I were shocked at how his behavior so lined up with endocrine cancer blogs where you could clearly see the fight response being so deeply ingrained. He also as you said could have been an intelligent perfectionist from birth. I just found the attempt to dissect his personality within the scope of his adoption to be one dimensional and missing many other critical factors. Great movie though, and I hope like Lincoln, at a later date another movie will be done exploring his dealing with his cancer and the choices he made. His relationship with his daughter was very sad. It also did not show his child's mother in a favorable light, and Jobs and her had a solid relationship for years which was also not shown.

13Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/24/2015, 7:10 pm

Vikingwoman

I read some of what she wrote about him and he didn't treat her or the child too well in the early years. I don't think that had anything to do w/ hormones.

14Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/24/2015, 8:05 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Before Wozniak and Jobs ever started Apple,,  Jobs was working for Atari.  He got Woz to create the Breakout video game for Atari which Woz did.
Only thing is,  he told Woz Atari was paying them a few hundred dollars for it and he would split the money with Woz. 
But he was cheating his own partner.  He got thousands for the game and lied to Woz about the amount of money.
This had nothing to do with tumors or cancer.  It was because Jobs was a sorry SOB who was willing to screw over his best friend over a relatively small amount of money.

15Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/24/2015, 8:24 pm

No wonder seagoat is so enamored.

16Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/24/2015, 10:29 pm

2seaoat wrote:I saw this evening in Pace.

Scary close to me... (((SHUDDER)))

17Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/24/2015, 11:07 pm

Vikingwoman

Wow, Oatie you were in Pace this evening? I should have invited you over for dinner. I didn't cook tonight, though. Where are you staying...in a hotel?

18Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/25/2015, 8:47 am

2seaoat

Wow, Oatie you were in Pace this evening? I should have invited you over for dinner. I didn't cook tonight, though. Where are you staying...in a hotel?

The house is back in order. All the furnishings except one bedroom set and a kitchen table and chairs have been thrown out with the carpeting and pads. All the walls have been painted with trim, and we have given the subfloors multiple treatments of the neutralizer concoctions with multiple primer of kilz and two coats of porch paint which is remarkable on how bright the home has become as we darkened the wall paint and the trim all being painted brilliant white and the subfloors brilliant white I told my wife to hell with finish flooring......I like this look. We cedar lined one wall of the worse bedroom closet and put new hooks up for clothing and there is a subtle smell of cedar when you come in the house and NOTHING else. I cannot believe a week ago what a disaster we had and now we have a comfortable home to enjoy this winter as I work on a project through February. I am excited about the project and think it may be a go, but I have to work on financing this month with a start date in April and hopefully completion in October a year from now.

In regard to Woz getting cheated, I disagree. It was jobs who cut the deal with Atari. He then told Woz he would get a few hundred dollars as his share. From Jobs perspective it was his contract and his money and he was paying a subcontractor. From Woz's perspective they were partners on the Atari deal which is absurd because he did not even know the terms until years later, and had nothing to do with the contract. As to his high hormone levels, it most certainly does change some people as I read the blogs on the cancer. They become miserable SOBs. Think about the put down to women over the years......it must be that time of month.....she must be going through the change......hormonal change has always been associated with bitchy behavior. Well multiply those levels ten fold and in some cases twenty fold and you have changes in behavior, but also incredible focus and energy which would exhaust a person with normal hormone levels. I can no more explain his behavior as being hormonal than the poor attempt by the writer to make this about his being adopted. Humans are complex. My point being that the movie seemed one dimensional and not recognizing the very disease he died of is a serious flaw in the movie.

Jobs was a genius. Few people in our lifetime will we see who can build a garage business into a business bigger than GM and GE and icons of American business like Henry Ford and Edison pale to what this man accomplished in about thirty years.

19Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/25/2015, 9:21 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:

In regard to Woz getting cheated, I disagree.  It was jobs who cut the deal with Atari.  He then told Woz he would get a few hundred dollars as his share.  From Jobs perspective it was his contract and his money and he was paying a subcontractor.  From Woz's perspective they were partners on the Atari deal which is absurd because he did not even know the terms until years later, and had nothing to do with the contract.

Bushnell assigned Steve Jobs to design a prototype. Jobs was offered $750, with an award for every TTL (transistor-transistor logic) chip fewer than 50. Jobs promised to complete a prototype within four days.[4] Bushnell offered the bonus because he disliked how new Atari games required 150 to 170 chips; he knew that Jobs' friend Steve Wozniak, an employee of Hewlett-Packard, had designed a version of Pong that used about 30 chips.[5] Jobs had little specialized knowledge of circuit board design but knew Wozniak was capable of producing designs with a small number of chips. He convinced Wozniak to work with him, promising to split the fee evenly between them if Wozniak could minimize the number of chips. Wozniak had no sketches and instead interpreted the game from its description. To save parts, he had "tricky little designs" difficult to understand for most engineers. Near the end of development, Wozniak considered moving the high score to the screen's top, but Jobs claimed Bushnell wanted it at the bottom; Wozniak was unaware of any truth to his claims. The original deadline was met after Wozniak worked at Atari four nights straight, doing some additional designs while at his day job at Hewlett-Packard. This equated to a bonus of $5,000, which Jobs kept secret from Wozniak. Wozniak has stated he only received payment of $350.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakout_%28video_game%29#History_and_development

Jobs fucked over his best friend pure and simple.  If you believe he was justified in doing so,  then you probably are a "lifelong republican" like you've told us.  lol

20Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/25/2015, 9:26 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The Jobs/Wozniak story is very similiar to the Bill Gates/Paul Allen story.
In both cases,  Jobs and Gates were the enterpreneurial minds.   And Wozniak and Allen were the purely geek minds.

But there is one significant difference.  Jobs was mostly all entrepreneurial.
Whereas Gates was both the entrepreneur and the geek.  Gates and Allen both were responsible for actually creating stuff.
Jobs on the other hand had very little abilities in the geek department.  He relied on Wozniak and others for all of that.

21Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/25/2015, 11:24 am

2seaoat

I think you need to see the movie. After you see the movie I will discuss the Woz interpretation of the Atari deal.

22Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/25/2015, 11:39 am

2seaoat wrote:I think you need to see the movie. After you see the movie I will discuss the Woz interpretation of the Atari deal.

Ya... cause facts and history are easily trumped by hollywood and progressive revision.

23Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/25/2015, 11:43 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I think you need to see the movie.  After you see the movie I will discuss the Woz interpretation of the Atari deal.

Seaoat,  I've been buying and selling vintage microcomputers for 20 years.  And all during that time I've been learning the history of it.
The Breakout story is very well known.  It's also well known that Wozniak doesn't hold a grudge over it.  Mainly because Woz is one of those individuals who never cared about making money. 

If you're going to learn history,  getting it only from a hollywood theatrical movie is really not the best way to go about it.  And especially not from just one hollywood movie.  This is not the first movie about the Jobs/Wozniak and Apple story.

24Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/25/2015, 11:52 am

2seaoat

Bob, as usual you assume that I approach things as you do. I do not. I have read the Atari account fifteen years ago. I am well versed in the same. Actually, I do not know anybody who is not familiar with the one side of the story which Jobs acknowledged was true. The point you are missing is why I do not believe he thought this was cheating or screwing his partner and I asked you to watch the movie, and then I will discuss this in the context of how Jobs viewed the world. So get back to me when you see the movie and I can discuss a central tenet from the movie which comes into play with this folklore screwing.....which Bob has been old news for 15 years......geeze.

25Steve Jobs movie Empty Re: Steve Jobs movie 10/25/2015, 11:55 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Question,  seaoat.

Since you're an expert on all this,  what did Jobs do with the money he hid from Wozniak on the Breakout deal?  To any historian of this,  the answer to that is also well known.  So I'm sure you must know it.  lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum