Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nw York Stock Exchange shuts down Wednesday morning

+2
Sal
othershoe1030
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The New York Stock Exchange suspended trading 11:32 a.m ET Wednesday morning.
What's going on?

In a brief announcement, the exchange said it was experiencing a technical issue:
"We're currently experiencing a technical issue that we're working to resolve as quickly as possible. We will be providing further updates as soon as we can, and are doing our utmost to produce a swift resolution, communicate thoroughly and transparently, and ensure a timely and orderly market re-open," the NYSE said.
The Department of Homeland Security told CNN that there is "no sign of malicious activity" at the NYSE or with the earlier outage experienced by United Airlines.
It appears that all other exchanges, including the Nasdaq, are still operating. That means investors can still trade, just not on the NYSE.
The Wall Street Journal's website is also not working. It stopped functioning around the same time that the NYSE went down. United Airlines' computer system malfunctioned Wednesday morning, but it was back up by the time NYSE had problems.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/08/investing/nyse-suspends-trading/index.html

Sal

Sal

On the bright side, tin foil sales are through the roof!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's looking like it was caused by the same nightmarish thing that happens to all of us from time to time.  They did a software "upgrade".

But this software snafu is distracting from what to me is the big financial news of the day.  The Chinese stock market is literally crashing today.
It was down 8% for the day and last I looked it's settled in at 5% down.
To appreciate why I call this a "crash" and not a "correction" all you need to do is put it in the terms of the Dow.
If the Dow dropped 5% in one day,  that would translate to an 800 point drop in  the Dow for one day.  
I'm wondering how this will impact on the rest of the world markets including ours.  It may be a good thing that the software upgrade shut down the NYSE.  Who knows, if they were still trading, the Dow might have gone down 800 points.

It's not just the chinese market... any tangent could get shaky. I guess it's just a coincidence... a timely one.

Edit: Sorry Bob... I just said basically the same thing... lol. Did you add to your post... or did I skip over the last part?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's what happens with most all my posts, Pkr.
I write a post and then submit it. And then I immediately read back the post and want to edit it. But that almost always happens within a minute or so.
So unless you come along with a reply post less than a minute from when I submitted mine, the editing is already completed when you first read my post.

I'm pretty distracted watching wimbledon... I think I forgot to send my reply for awhile. So either might be the case... lol.

Markle

Markle

Trading just reopened.  NYSE claims it is not a cyber attack but...this early how do they know?

Earlier today, United Airlines had to ground all their planes because their computers shut down.  United is back up and in the air claiming it was router that caused the problem.  Don't you hate it when that happens?

Weird day...lots of unexpected shut downs.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Just look at infowars or prisonplanet in a while and Alex Jones will give us the straight skinny on it.  Gotta be a globalist/illuminatti/new world order/bilderberger/trilateral commission/masonic lodge conspiracy.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Markle wrote:Trading just reopened.  NYSE claims it is not a cyber attack but...this early how do they know?

Earlier today, United Airlines had to ground all their planes because their computers shut down.  United is back up and in the air claiming it was router that caused the problem.  Don't you hate it when that happens?

Weird day...lots of unexpected shut downs.

NYSE also announced that all pending transactions at the time of the shutdown were to be canceled.  What entities were selling-off, I wonder?  And how much?

Link: OPM Hack Far Deeper Than Publicly Acknowledged, Went Undetected For More Than A Year

dumpcare

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/itinsider/anonymous-issued-cryptic-tweet-on-eve-of-nyse-suspension/ar-AAcIPjz

International hacking group Anonymous wished Wall Street ill the night before the New York Stock Exchange temporarily suspended trading on all securities.

The activist group tweeted late Tuesday:

Anonymous @YourAnonNews
Wonder if tomorrow is going to be bad for Wall Street.... we can only hope.
10:45 PM - 7 Jul 2015
1,752 1,752 Retweets 1,060 1,060 favorites
Anonymous has previously targeted Wall Street and made headlines in 2011 when it threatened to "destroy" the New York Stock Exchange

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum