Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anybody ever heard of Meniere's Disease?

+2
dumpcare
Vikingwoman
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Vikingwoman

I've had three attacks in the last two days of dizziness when bending over w/ nausea and almost vomiting. I have diagnosed myself. It is due to excessive fluid in the inner ear. It's awful as you fell nauseated for hours after and there is a temporary loss of hearing and tinnunitis. It usually strikes people 40-60 and there is no cure. I have heavy allergies which is probably the cause. Anybody ever had this?

dumpcare

There's extensive testing to diagnose Meniere's disease, an ent will most likely tell you that you just have vertigo. I have had and still do many of the same episodes, the ENT diagnosed me with vestibular neuritis and prescribed 2mg of valium twice a day when these occur. I do not take any unless I have an episode, it level's you out, but the ringing in ear seem's to get louder. Also there are very simple exercises (google vertigo) that help with episode's.

These diagnosis on either of the above I believe is their best guess.

BTW some of my episodes are brought on by certain types of chemicals, especially perfumes and after shave.

2seaoat

It is in my family. My Uncle had it. All three of my cousins have it in differing degrees, and my brother has it where he missed a month trip to Europe this summer because it had gotten so bad. He was at Mayo before he talked to my cousins and they explained what was going on with his inner ear. It has been very severe with him, but one of my cousins with medication has done pretty well.

My oldest female cousin was able to all but cure her issues with medication, but my oldest male cousin still has serious issues. My brother was in bad shape this summer, but has improved a bit. I do not know what treatments are involved. I will be asking when I next talk to my brother who is in Arizona. My cousins are in California, and they told us about the family history, and they helped my brother a great deal. He thought he was losing his mind.

Sal

Sal

Nope, but I've dealt with inner ear problems since I was a child.

I was given a variety of complicated treatments and medications over the years, but nothing really cured it.

Until about 10 years ago, a young ENT doctor told me to try Sudafed.

I haven't had a problem since.

It prevents the fluid from building up in the inner ear.

Good luck.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I had middle ear problems diving. I asked a Doctor I met in Grand Cayman if there was an easy solution. He showed me how to scrape off my tonsils with a tongue depressor. It did help but I don't know if it would help your problem. It cleared the Eustachian tube. He said most tonsils are constantly irritated and swollen by rotting food stuck on them.

Vikingwoman

Thanks guys! I'm going to try all of the above. Can't hurt. This is miserable. I'm taking dramamine for the nausea but it's not helping much. My tonsils probably should have been out years ago but I'm not doing it now at this stage of life unless I have to. This constant changing of weather from cold to hot causes the the sinuses to continually drain and for people like me w/ allergies it's a constant battle of post nasal drip. I went to the ENT Dr. last year and he really didn't do much of anything except take a cat scan of my sinuses.

dumpcare

You may have to go out of the area (Mayo in Jx or UAB) to get an accurate diagnosis. I've been to two locally and they act like I am trying to pull something over on them. It at times has created terrible balance issue's, have had three mri's on brain (found nothing lol) and a ct on neck. The nausea is more than likely from the vertigo.

Whoops if you're still on the blue select you cannot go to either mentioned above. But you can switch to blue option's before 2/15 and go to both above.

dumpcare

One more thing, keep track of low pressure system's and see if that bother's you, sometime's I have to take the valium until they go by.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ppaca wrote:There's extensive testing to diagnose Meniere's disease, an ent will most likely tell you that you just have vertigo. I have had and still do many of the same episodes, the ENT diagnosed me with vestibular neuritis and prescribed 2mg of valium twice a day when these occur. I do not take any unless I have an episode, it level's you out, but the ringing in ear seem's to get louder. Also there are very simple exercises (google vertigo) that help with episode's.

These diagnosis on either of the above I believe is their best guess.

BTW some of my episodes are brought on by certain types of chemicals, especially perfumes and after shave.

Meniere's disease is idiopathic. There is no definitive test to diagnose the condition....it is diagnosis by excluding other conditions.

Meclizine ( Antivert) is usually effective.

Vikingwoman

ppaca wrote:You may have to go out of the area (Mayo in Jx or UAB) to get an accurate diagnosis. I've been to two locally and they act like I am trying to pull something over on them. It at times has created terrible balance issue's, have had three mri's on brain (found nothing lol) and a ct on neck. The nausea is more than likely from the vertigo.

Whoops if you're still on the blue select you cannot go to either mentioned above. But you can switch to blue option's before 2/15 and go to both above.

What about that Coventry plan w/ zero deductible? Is that any good?

dumpcare

I don't know anything about coventry. The largest network in the panhandle and carry's over to other states is Blue Options with BC.

Vikingwoman

I went to the Dr. yesterday and I have fluid on my middle ear. They said fluid gets trapped there from allergies and congestion and your labriynith? gets out of place. Gave me antibiotics, alavert and nasal spray.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum