Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

HI Woman Just Misses Record Half-Ton Marlin

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

A 5-foot-9-inch woman tournament fishing in Hawaii waters fought a 12-foot marlin more than four hours before getting it on her team's boat and weighing it at more than a half-ton — a would-be world record.

But 28-year-old Molly Palmer is missing out on the glory and thousands in tournament prize money for one pesky reason: Her team's honor code.

Cheating would have been easy and tempting. The Big Island Invitational Marlin Tournament runs in part on an honor system and Palmer, her captain and crewmates put up roughly $9,000 to enter last week.

But the Kailua-Kona angler said it wasn't a question of whether or not to cheat — her team just wanted to reel in the big catch. So they disqualified themselves and Palmer's crewmates helped pull the monstrous fish aboard.

"The question was only can I land the fish or not," Palmer told The Associated Press. "I didn't come here to set world records. I didn't even really come here to win money. I came here to catch fish and that's just what we were there to do."

Palmer needed to reel in the fish by herself in order for it to qualify as a valid catch for the tournament, according to rules set by the International Game Fishing Association.

Palmer's fish weighed in at 1,022.5 pounds,

This is on my bucket list.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/woman-misses-record-half-ton-marlin-catch-17063050

Amazing, I congratulate the crew for their honesty too - there is just too little of that anymore.

nochain wrote:Amazing, I congratulate the crew for their honesty too - there is just too little of that anymore.

Fighting for four hours....that's a battle for anyone...Correct call about the honesty also nice to know there's still some honor in competitions...

I agree, honesty is the best policy.

Not many people value that anymore.

Chrissy8 wrote:I agree, honesty is the best policy.

Not many people value that anymore.

Laughable.....how do you 'earn' negative points when posting positive about 'honesty' and 'honor' in competition?....Makes you wonder who's voting...well maybe not...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum