Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jaws II

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jaws II Empty Jaws II 6/1/2014, 4:10 pm

2seaoat

Pretty cool looking at the old Holidome on Navarre Beach. It is cool to see the original dunes before the three hurricanes. The Holidome was the best. I got myself regularly into a little trouble there.......and then walked home. The filming of Jaws II on Navarre Beach is nice to view things which are entirely gone now.........The damn shark would be a floater now.

2Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/1/2014, 6:33 pm

They kept "Jaws" in Bayou Chico  for awhile.  He was on a pontoon type barge, it had all kinds of wires and cable hooked to him.  They did not want you very close and plus they kept a tarp on him most of the time.  But we would go over and check it out when they were working on him.  What also was cool that part of the beach scene,  where they got on the rocks, was really a barge with big fold down panels.  The Panels had fiber  glass rocks and such attached to Them.  It looked very realistic when they had everything set up.  The boss leased them his Pompano boat to help move every thing around.  It was pretty cool to see all the props for the movie.  They had a hard time using jaws because the Gulf did not get deep enough close to shore for them to maneuver him..  As they moved out into the deeper water than ran into all type of issues..

3Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/1/2014, 8:47 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The town hall scenes were filmed in one of those old buildings in the historic district.
I remember at the time it got around that actor Murray Hamilton (the town mayor in the movie) stayed drunk at Seville Quarter.  He would stumble to the set and then when the cameras rolled he sobered up like a judge and did the work.

4Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/1/2014, 8:57 pm

2seaoat

He always looked drunk. I really enjoyed the old holidome video.

5Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/1/2014, 9:25 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

6Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/1/2014, 9:36 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Is there a way to see the holidome video, seaoat?

7Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/1/2014, 11:11 pm

2seaoat

Is there a way to see the holidome video, seaoat?

It is the start of the movie when the band is set up by the pool, you can see the two story area and the hotel rooms in the background. I will try to link a utube......no I could not find one.

8Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/2/2014, 5:47 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I didn't know he was your uncle, Bob. I always liked his style.

And I used to spend time at that Holiday Inn...I had some friends who set up next to the pool and airbrushed t-shirts.

9Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/2/2014, 5:54 pm

2seaoat

And I used to spend time at that Holiday Inn...I had some friends who set up next to the pool and airbrushed t-shirts.

The kids when they were younger would walk over and swim in the pool. They finally got kicked out, but they did it for years. I got myself in a lot of trouble in the Holiday Inn Bar. I used to like walking to their weekend breakfast buffet....it actually was pretty good. I knew Navarre became a really bad investment when they did not choose to rebuild. The Holiday Inn introduced folks to the beach and brought potential buyers and visitors for longer stays. When they shut it down, most went over to PB.

10Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/2/2014, 9:29 pm

knothead

knothead

My own memory of their filming at Navarre Beach was on a Sunday afternoon I drove down to the Holidome and wandered out onto the beach with my camera., It is my recollection that there was a prop 'beach house' constructed near the water and I was taking some pics when a 'security guard' warned me I could not take photos but I did anyway . . . it is a public beach and I still have those photos in a box . . . . . somewhere.

11Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/2/2014, 9:33 pm

knothead wrote:My own memory of their filming at Navarre Beach was on a Sunday afternoon I drove down to the Holidome and wandered out onto the beach with my camera.,  It is my recollection that there was a prop 'beach house' constructed near the water and I was taking some pics when a 'security guard' warned me I could not take photos but I did anyway . . . it is a public beach and I still have those photos in a box  . . . . . somewhere.

Correct and they also built a light house, I think, Down Fort Pickens road. Many folks thought it was real but wondered why it not near the pass.

12Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/2/2014, 10:08 pm

2seaoat

it is a public beach and I still have those photos in a box . . . . . somewhere.

That would be priceless if you could post them here and get them to the PNJ where they could run a story. My guess is a great many people could post comments about what they saw during the filming. What struck me was the size of the dunes in most shots. Navarre now is as flat as a pancake, and the beach erosion on the west end is bad.

13Jaws II Empty Re: Jaws II 6/3/2014, 8:41 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

knothead wrote:  It is my recollection that there was a prop 'beach house' constructed near the water and I was taking some pics when a 'security guard' warned me I could not take photos but I did anyway . . . it is a public beach

There's one thing that always works with a security guard. Give him a couple of doughnuts and he'll let you do anything. It's like giving a guard dog a frankfurter. He'll then be your friend for life.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum