Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Uh oh......Cadillac is buying expensive air time on Oscars....electric is getting cool

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.cadillac.com/elr-electric-hybrid.html

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A hybrid that gets 20 miles to the gallon with an MSRP of $74,000. lol

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

My Virago gets 87 MPG 209 miles/2.339 gal.=87MPG

2seaoat

I am telling you that the country club crowd is getting into impressing people with their electric. I have a friend who just bought a chevy volt, and since that purchase another friend bought a volt......I bet within six months I will tell you about somebody buying a caddy.......coal, gas and oil have tried to show electric as nerdy........sorry expensive cool cars which are electric are selling.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well as I said in another thread, I just bet a fortune (to me anyway) on electric.
But I have one really overriding concern about that bet. Which is that so much more oil and gasoline are becoming available due to advances in technology.
That may provide an obstacle to electric and delay it for a while. And if that happens my bet is not gonna be so good.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

So far electric is still just a luxury novelty item for a niche market, like a yacht. Only for the fat cats.
The transition won't happen until electric is competitive for the mass market in a way which is cost competitive. Might take a while.

2seaoat

The guy with the volt is selling it to other people.....he is a very conservative republican who was good buddy with the former speaker of the house, and he loves the car, and he drives less than 30 miles a day and has not put gas in it yet. It reminds me of the guy who got a prius and was bragging about his gas mileage. The neighbors took turns sneaking into his driveway late at night and adding less than a gallon. He was bragging about how great his gas mileage was for a couple months.......and then they stopped.......they would all ask him hows that gas mileage doing.

Electric is everywhere. I am seeing Nissan Leafs everywhere. As we cut gas mileage, american balance of trade will swing 180 degrees and we are going to be kicking asz, and I think the cow is out of the barn on electric. five buck a gallon is enough to make the revolution happen.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Five bucks a gallon would change the game. But that's my whole point. The gas is not five bucks a gallon. It's the same price it's been for years. It doesn't even go up with the consumer price index. And now that even more oil is coming on line, it aint gonna increase in price for the foreseeable future.

When you can build a gas car for a lot less money than a practical electric car, it aint gonna enter the mass market.
And I'm not talking about the Prius. I'm talking about a car that runs only off a battery. Right now, to get 250 miles range, costs $80,000. $80,000 is a niche market.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My friend Eric is considering the purchase of a plug-n Prius. And on a thread on his forum, riceme asked about what it costs to drive one.
I ran the numbers and posted this...

To calculate the cost of driving on electric, you need to know two things. The vehicles energy consumption rate, and the cost per kWh of electricity where you're located.

The Prius PHEV consumes 32.2 kWh per 100 miles.
And the Gulf Power rate is about 10 cents per kWh (although they just announced an upcoming increase).
To get the cost of driving 100 miles on electric, you multiply one by the other. And that tells
you it costs $3.22 per hundred miles or 3.2 cents per mile.

To compare that to the cost of driving on gasoline, the Prius PHEV gets about 50 mpg in gas mode.
With gas at $3.40 per gallon, it will cost $6.80 to go 100 miles or 6.8 cents per mile.

So with the current cost of gas and grid electricity in our area, it costs about twice as much per mile when driving on gas than when driving on electric.

The electric range of the Prius PHEV is 11 miles. But that's with the A/C switched off. By googling, I just discovered that, on average, an electric vehicle will lose about 16% of it's range with the A/C switched on. So that 11 miles then becomes closer to 9 miles. But since we don't use the A/C year round, we can probably estimate the year round range to be about 10 miles.

So it all comes down to the particular motorist's driving routine. What portion of driving will you be doing in electric mode?
I am probably the best candidate for buying this car. Why? Because most of my daily trips are all under 10 miles round trip. And if I spring for a 240 volt charger, which will charge the car in 1.5 hours (compared to 3-4 hrs at 115 volts), then I will be able to recharge at home between several driving trips per day.

I drive about 10,000 miles per year. If 5000 of those miles are driving on electric, then it will cost me $160. And the 5000 mile I'm driving on gas, will cost me $340.
For a total annual energy cost of $500.
The same annual cost of driving a conventional Prius (getting 50 mpg) would be $680.

So, even though my driving routine is ideal for owning this car, even I would only save $180 per year compared to driving a conventional Prius. A driver with a typical driving routine would save less, and many would save a lot less.
And I would have to pay about $5000 more for the PHEV version of the car than for the conventional version. It would take me 31 years to recoup that difference in initial purchase price.

Of course that's assuming the gas continues to cost $3.40/gal. If the price of gas increases then I would see a little more savings. But it's still far from being a cost-effective choice.

But money is not the ONLY consideration for owning this car. Some (including me) have a weird obsession with wanting to drive a car on electricity. I like the idea of giving less money to the oil companies and Saudis (especially since I own electric utility stock LOL). And then there is the geek factor (which also includes me) which is the fun of owning the cutting edge of driving technology.

But there is one last thing to consider. The traction battery in the PHEV version is a lot more expensive to replace than the battery in the conventional Prius. So if you're planning to drive the car enough miles to need a battery replacement, that battery replacement is going to cost you a lot more.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Americans are so fat stupid and lazy they have to take their living room with them wherever they go.

Uh oh......Cadillac is buying expensive air time on Oscars....electric is getting cool Taiwan_motorUh oh......Cadillac is buying expensive air time on Oscars....electric is getting cool Motorcycles_in_Taipei

Some cars got 50mpg, 20 years ago..

Uh oh......Cadillac is buying expensive air time on Oscars....electric is getting cool Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDwU8W5GVeJJKdrcfkyaph0hHNHxrPuuERQMPdH_mLdw8X5mql

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

...so much more oil and gasoline are becoming available due to advances in technology. That may provide an obstacle to electric and delay it for a while...

Read this article Bob. I have a lot of respect for Chris Nelder, even though I follow oil and gas very closely:

The Energy Transition Tipping Point is Here
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/the-take/the-energy-transition-tipping-point-is-here/?tag=nl.e662&s_cid=e662&ttag=e662&ftag=TRE383a915

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If all that's true, Z, it makes me feel better about the bet. lol

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You guys can keep your coal powered cars, I'll stay with gasoline polluted with alcohol.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bob wrote:If all that's true,  Z,  it makes me feel better about the bet.  lol

I am really happy about the new found supply (in unconventional oil and gas--primarily shales), don't get me wrong. It is a bridge supply that should carry the nation to around 2070 or so--2100 if we are lucky. But, the future is headed where Elon Musk has his eyes focused.  

The funny thing is, all of this has a "green" focus. Not the environmental green, but the money green. The only thing that will push humanity further and further away from fossil fuels is the cost.... Not climate change or any other environmental hoopla. As renewable energy--chiefly solar--gets cheaper in cost and as fossil fuels become more scarce and expensive, the cross-over will be made. In the next 20 years, look for roof-top solar becoming standard on new houses. Whether an older home has a retrofitted solar roof on it or not will become a primary issue in determining its value.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum