Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Today

+8
PBulldog2
cool1
Jake92
stormwatch89
2seaoat
boards of FL
Sal
Joanimaroni
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 10:11 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

stormwatch89 wrote:We had to take Home Ec when I was in school, my daughters didn't.  It shows.Smile 

I'm really glad we did and am sorry that it is no longer required in public high schools.

Still, when baking just follow the recipe and it should work out.

When cooking other things, it's fun to be more creative.

All will be fine, as it's more about the time together!

Hope your day is great!

My kids thought cooking was a city in China. I have one interested in learning to cook.

Cooking is creative and it is hard to explain...showing how to cook is much easier. So much involves how it looks and tastes, and what needs to be added. I gave my unofficial adopted daughter my recipe for dressing.....she came over with her ingredients and I helped her make it. She said she was glad she came because I added 4-5 more ingredients and adjusted all the amounts. My youngest daughter gets upset when I tell her to add some of this and that and a hunk of this. She wants an exact amount. I can only hope she will figure out how much a hunk is.

27Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 10:32 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

cool1 wrote:well so far I fixed something I don't know what its called--Very Happy 
And I went and picked up some pies --And my husband likes to bake his upside down cake something like that and then he got mad because he tried to flip the cake out of the pan and usually it turns out ok But when he tried to get the cake out of the pan it fell totally apart while I was watching -I felt so bad for him --It fell apart really bad to crumbles so I looked at him and said that's ok --we stuck the pineapple in the right places and I took a fork and smashed all the cake down and told him its ok --now we can tell them its crumble cake Razz 

And I never made a bean casserole before and daughter wants me to make that and I looked it up and thought really--5 diff--ways , I told her lets stick with no-1    she said ok mom---I really don't think I could screw that up .

I was going to make cheese cake --then changed my mind and bought from the store !  

So today im up --The only thing really im good at is cooking Turkey -we shall see how that goes --I wish I had gone to cooking school

for the last two days I tried to make cookies threw those away--then I found a recipe for peanut butter cookies --threw those away --I cant cook at all I told my husband I will buy the darn things -killed my back just standing there trying to make the darn things--im no cook Mad
Hahahaaaa!!! I'm no cook either, Cool. My husband does most of the cooking around here. He calls it "his" kitchen.

But like you, I'm really, really good at cooking the turkey for reasons unknown. I was the one who always brought the turkey to family dinners. sunny 

PKR, your account of your planned Thanksgiving made me smile. As Joani said, you are creating wonderful memories for your daughter and her friend. Enjoy! Very Happy 

28Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 10:37 am

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

My kids thought cooking was a city in China. I have one interested in learning to cook.

Cooking is creative and it is hard to explain...showing how to cook is much easier. So much involves how it looks and tastes, and what needs to be added. I gave my unofficial adopted daughter my recipe for dressing.....she came over with her ingredients and I helped her make it. She said she was glad she came because I added 4-5 more ingredients and adjusted all the amounts.  My youngest daughter gets upset when I tell her to add some of this and that and a hunk of this. She wants an exact amount. I can only hope she will figure out how much a hunk is.[/quote]

Lol.  Yes.  My daughters asked for a cookbook of my recipes which I'm attempting to prepare for them this Christmas along with generational versions.  Apparently I come from a long line of "pinch", "tad", "hunk" and "cooking spoonful".

What was great about Home Ec is that it taught us so many tips and about varied presentations, nutritional values, food groups and the like.  With more Moms working today, I'm really sorry to see that's it's gone.  It can be so creative and fun!

Of course, sewing, they can keep!  I learned to do great mending on horse blankets and create costumes, but everything I made looked like a costume.Embarassed

29Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 10:45 am

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
One daughter and family are in Fort Myers....they said it is suppose to be real cold and windy tonight.

Yup.

We're running a 5K in the morning, and it's supposed to be 40 at race time.

Brrrrrr.

That's good running weather, but I ain't used to it.
I had to run three miles once... it was damned hard. I didn't train for it... but that kind of sport never appealed to me. I did become a big fan of distance running during by oldests hs track and field career. She didn't run it... but there was a kid that did that was incredible. I even talked her into running cc her senior year. I admire the discipline... it just wasn't in my dna... but I can chase a tennis (or any) ball all day long... lol.

Damn, that was hard ...

... and cold.

The boy finished 25th out of over 1200 runners.

I finished 30 minutes later.

lol

30Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 10:45 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Stormy, the only thing I remember about home economics class is learning to cook noodles. I was amazed I could do it, and I ate buttered noodles at home for a long time afterward.

I didn't want to take home economics. I wanted to take shop and learn to build things out of wood. But nooooo......I was a female, and that wasn't allowed in the late 60s. Just like I wanted to play drums in the school band rather than that sissy clarinet.  Laughing

EDIT:
 Getting an old drum set and learning to play them is on my bucket list!

31Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 10:50 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

stormwatch89 wrote:My kids thought cooking was a city in China. I have one interested in learning to cook.

Cooking is creative and it is hard to explain...showing how to cook is much easier. So much involves how it looks and tastes, and what needs to be added. I gave my unofficial adopted daughter my recipe for dressing.....she came over with her ingredients and I helped her make it. She said she was glad she came because I added 4-5 more ingredients and adjusted all the amounts.  My youngest daughter gets upset when I tell her to add some of this and that and a hunk of this. She wants an exact amount. I can only hope she will figure out how much a hunk is.
Lol.  Yes.  My daughters asked for a cookbook of my recipes which I'm attempting to prepare for them this Christmas along with generational versions.  Apparently I come from a long line of "pinch", "tad", "hunk" and "cooking spoonful".

What was great about Home Ec is that it taught us so many tips and about varied presentations, nutritional values, food groups and the like.  With more Moms working today, I'm really sorry to see that's it's gone.  It can be so creative and fun!

Of course, sewing, they can keep!  I learned to do great mending on horse blankets and create costumes, but everything I made looked like a costume.Embarassed[/quote]

I hate sewing....we had to make an apron in home ec.....picking out the fabric was the easiest...I could not look at a pattern and figure it out. I can, however, reach into a bloody hole, sew, tie knots and cut sutures.      

Storm...when you write your cookbook include an index and list close amounts for  a pinch, tad, cooking spoonful, and a hunk (  not a gorgeous man ). My kids want me to start writing a cookbook and I actually researched software for cookbooks last night.

32Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 11:25 am

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

I hate sewing....we had to make an apron in home ec.....picking out the fabric was the easiest...I could not look at a pattern and figure it out. I can, however, reach into a bloody hole, sew, tie knots and cut sutures.      

Storm...when you write your cookbook include an index and list close amounts for  a pinch, tad, cooking spoonful, and a hunk (  not a gorgeous man ). My kids want me to start writing a cookbook and I actually researched software for cookbooks last night.[/quote]

How you did what you did simply amazes me. One worm and I'm on the ceiling! Thank God for people like you!

Along with Home Ec I took years of typing. What was funny is that it was considered a business course rather than CP and actually dropped my GPA. Still, it was totally worth it and I insisted my girls take it as well. Now they text, go figure!

Anyway, rather than software, I just created a template in Word and it's working fine. Putting it all into 3 ring binders so that pages can be added later.

Good idea on the index!

33Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 11:28 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Now typing, that's another thing entirely. My Mom taught me to type when I was about ten years old. I am so grateful to her for that!

34Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 11:33 am

Jake92

PB Look at the drummers in this... They are the Hellcats from West Point, NY..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhlHCMEEwvM&feature=player_embedded#at=47

35Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 12:02 pm

Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
One daughter and family are in Fort Myers....they said it is suppose to be real cold and windy tonight.

Yup.

We're running a 5K in the morning, and it's supposed to be 40 at race time.

Brrrrrr.

That's good running weather, but I ain't used to it.
I had to run three miles once... it was damned hard. I didn't train for it... but that kind of sport never appealed to me. I did become a big fan of distance running during by oldests hs track and field career. She didn't run it... but there was a kid that did that was incredible. I even talked her into running cc her senior year. I admire the discipline... it just wasn't in my dna... but I can chase a tennis (or any) ball all day long... lol.

Damn, that was hard ...

... and cold.

The boy finished 25th out of over 1200 runners.

I finished 30 minutes later.

lol
Wow... That's an impressive result. That kid I told you about ran the 5k in just over 15 mins. Hope you didn't hurt yourself... lol.

36Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 12:11 pm

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
Wow... That's an impressive result. That kid I told you about ran the 5k in just over 15 mins. Hope you didn't hurt yourself... lol.
I'm feeling very stiff and my knees are letting me know they didn't appreciate it. 

The lazy boy is gonna get a lot of use today. 

Hope I can get up and make it to the dinner table. 

lol

37Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 12:20 pm

Jake92

I gave up running in 1980 when I changed from Marines to submarines..  It was common to run 5 miles before work, 10 at lunch, and at least another 5 after work, usually with 4-5 pound weights on each ankle..  A few years later, they said ankle weights are the worst thing because they will tear up your knees..  I'm still paying for using them, but avoided meds and surgery so far.  OCCASIONAL 800 mg Motrin and heating pads relieve most of the ache, but the biggest help is keeping a pillow under or between them..  The weather changes and cold are the worst...............

Last edited by Jake92 on 11/28/2013, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

38Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 12:28 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal you have a great excuse for relaxing....enjoy the Lazy- boy.

39Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 1:23 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Back to food. We are not eating until about 6:00 PM, but I am gearing up to be hungry by then.

I started out the day with an egg McMuffin from Mickey D's. Razz 

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

40Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 5:45 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Let's bump this thread up. Our turkey is still cooking, and the aroma is really starting to tickle my nose. I am getting hungry. I bet many of you have already eaten. I am going to munch on:

Turkey--my wife decided to brine the turkey before cooking this year
Mashed potatoes/turkey gravy
Marinated vegetables (my Mom's recipe--my daughter and I teamed up to make them this afternoon)
Stuffing
black and green olives
pie

Rinse and repeat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Friday, and maybe even on Saturday, too.

My wife will include other things that I won't partake of, like greenbean casserole, brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, turnips, etc. But I will eat copious helpings of what is listed above.

41Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 5:47 pm

Sal

Sal

I'm full as a tick. 

It was scrumptious. 

42Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 6:47 pm

On way to lights at Lake Lanier

43Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 9:52 pm

Pictures says it all.  18 people. All went well.. Great day

Today - Page 2 2m6u99h
Today - Page 2 1zq3p0g
Today - Page 2 Zjy0qg

44Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 10:15 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Food looks great, Ichi-san!

We had a very nice Thanksgiving.  First time we've had both the kids for Thanksgiving dinner in a long time.

45Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 10:15 pm

PBulldog2 wrote:Now typing, that's another thing entirely. My Mom taught me to type when I was about ten years old. I am so grateful to her for that!

My father went to Business college when got out of High school around 1938.
He learned to type, write business letters and such, he also mastered Gregs shorthand and could take dictation and make make very exacting records of meetings.  These were skills that not very many men had back in the late 30, early 40s.  It served him well and it opened the path for a very successful career in the Federal civil service.  It was neat watching him write in short hand then be able to read all the squiggly lines.  LOL  He was a good guy.

46Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 11:00 pm

Sal

Sal

OMG!!

Is that all-you-can-eat deviled eggs?

Good gawd, how do you get an invite to that shindig??

47Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 11:08 pm

Sal wrote:OMG!!

Is that all-you-can-eat deviled eggs?

Good gawd, how do you get an invite to that shindig??
A Pm will do.  You would be more than welcome...
Turkey, lasagne, dressing, meatballs and sausages , key lime pie, red velvet cake.  My folks dont play when it comes to holidays. lol
Today - Page 2 1z5snxe
Today - Page 2 Nq5xsp

48Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 11:24 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:Food looks great, Ichi-san!

We had a very nice Thanksgiving.  First time we've had both the kids for Thanksgiving dinner in a long time.
Neko....I know you were so glad to all be together.

Sal, my daughter said they woke up to 45° temp in Ft. Myers. They did the TurkeyTrott 5 K and then the fun run with the kids.

Itchi......what a spread. Looks great.

49Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 11:32 pm

Plus 2 broccoli casseroles and one potato casserole and bread.
Today - Page 2 2eehdmg

50Today - Page 2 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 11:33 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The food was good...... We just had our daughter, my inlaws, and my grandson was dropped-off; but my wife's youngest sister and her husband were down from upstate New York. The wife kept saying how many years it has been since the two sisters have been together for Thanksgiving. That is what made this holiday special, I think.

Leftovers tomorrow!!!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum