Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How a $99 pocket digital recorder does at recording live music.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Zoom H1.    It's about half the size of a shirt pocket and records 24-bit/96kHz WAV files.

How a $99 pocket digital recorder does at recording live music. H1_12

This is the sound it recorded last night at the blues jam at Lili Marlenes.
Just set it on the table and turned it on.

http://mfi.re/listen/tibicdkigzw20wk/blues.wav

p.s.  you will hear voices in the background (actually the foreground).
That was me running my mouth because I forgot the recording was being made.  lol

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

tHATS A HUGE FILE BUT WHAT i LISTENED TO SOUNDED GREAT...WHERE DID YOU FIND IT ?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:tHATS A HUGE FILE BUT WHAT i LISTENED TO SOUNDED GREAT...WHERE DID YOU FIND IT ?
Do you mean the recorder or the music?
The recorder is a ZOOM H1 available everywhere.
I bought it for $79.95 at Best Buy. The price was $99.95 but they took $20 off if I signed up for a Best Buy credit account.

The music I recorded at Lili Marlenes last night.

One other really great thing about it. The band had two guitars and one of them was WAY too loud. So loud that it was annoying when I was listening to it live. BUT the automatic level circuitry in the recorder evened out the sound of the two guitars and made it actually more enjoyable to listen to the recording than the performance itself.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Teo,

I recorded it as a WAV file. And it was 138 Gb in size.
I hosted that on mediafire which has a 100 GB file size limit.
So I edited out 86 Gb and uploaded that and that's what you heard in the link in the first post.

I have now converted the 138 Gb WAV file to a 5.6 GB mp3 file and uploaded that.
Take a listen to that and see if you can hear any loss in the quality.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/ga215bp1b9aoszw/Blues_mp3.mp3

What I should have done last night is used the recorder itself to record part of the music as a WAV file and part as an mp3 to see how much difference there would be in the quality of the two different recording formats.
But I'll be taking the recorder to Bayfest in a couple weeks and will do just that. I'm also ancious to see how the recorder will perform in an outdoor venue like that.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:Teo,

I recorded it as a WAV file.  And it was 138 Gb in size.  
I hosted that on mediafire which has a 100 GB file size limit.
So I edited out 86 Gb and uploaded that and that's what you heard in the link in the first post.

I have now converted the 138 Gb WAV file to a 5.6 GB mp3 file and uploaded that.
Take a listen to that and see if you can hear any loss in the quality.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/ga215bp1b9aoszw/Blues_mp3.mp3

What I should have done last night is used the recorder itself to record part of the music as a WAV file and part as an mp3 to see how much difference there would be in the quality of the two different recording formats.
But I'll be taking the recorder to Bayfest in a couple weeks and will do just that.  I'm also ancious to see how the recorder will perform in an outdoor venue like that.
You might want to buy a wind cover at radio shack. It helps if there is a breeze.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Okay I downloaded the new one to my iPhone and then hooked it up to a sound system and it sounded great.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
You might want to buy a wind cover at radio shack. It helps if there is a breeze.
good idea.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Okay I downloaded the new one to my iPhone and then hooked it up to a sound system and it sounded great.
Technology is just fucking amazing, aint it? Only a few years ago you woulda needed a lot of professional recording equipment to do what this cheapy little thingy can do all by it's little lonesome.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The next step is to take the audio made with this and synchronize it to a good quality video file.
Can you or anybody tell me how to do that? Will Windows Movie Maker do it?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:The next step is to take the audio made with this and synchronize it to a good quality video file.
Can you or anybody tell me how to do that?  Will Windows Movie Maker do it?
Yes windows is an easy video maker

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's one 4 minute song I cut out of last night's blues jam and converted to mp3, teo.
But this one has an anomaly to it.   Listen at the 53 second mark on the time counter and you will hear the overall sound level drop.  I wonder what caused that and if there's any way to use something like audacity to correct it in the recording.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/bpvxv4j1vt4lf1x/blues_jam_mp3.mp3

you can plainly see the level drop on the waveform between the two red arrows.

How a $99 pocket digital recorder does at recording live music. Level10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum